Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

nice

2. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Sir F wears a tux more times in a week than most people will in their lives.

3. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

[​IMG]

Is that good or bad?

4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Nice look. I get the SF anti-blue trou groupthink and frankly reject it most times. This combo looks nice.

5. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

6. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Okay, that's it! You're gonna kick your cousin out and I'm packing my bags and moving in.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

To be really honest, I greatly prefer the style of your suit here to your new DB.

Your new suit has narrow lapels, with fairly high crossover and a correspondingly moderately high buttoning point. I have similar cues in one suit too as I just couldn't find a fabric in the books to have gotten it MTM or bespoke, so got it RTW and compromised on the styling. But if I'd been after a more sober cloth fabric, I'd definitely want a more typical lapel width and a lower crossover point. This is all personal preference; there's really nothing wrong with your choices (if anything, it's very much in a slightly older English tradition), but I don't personally like it all that much and don't think it flatters your build.

I seem to recall Simon Crompton once getting a DB suit from your tailor; IIRC he asked them to widen the lapels, lower the button and lessen the crossover. I think that gave it a bit more of a relaxed poise while still retaining a uniform/military flavour (though even then I'd still personally want a little bit more again on all those changes). Might be worth googling or searching his blog to see if my memory is correct.

Fit-wise, it seems generally fine. Back & sleeves of the jacket (and possibly the seat of the trousers) could be a little cleaner and it might be a touch short in the front compared to the back... but you may just be standing awkwardly, confusing the picture. Only you really know for sure!

Stiches - I ran out of room in the comment form, so will reply here instead. This isn't a bad look, but it could be refined quite easily into something great. It needs a little bit of finessing. The colours are fine, though I'd personally prefer a pattern to the tie and a pale-coloured shirt (in any complementary shade) rather than white. The white feels a bit cold/stark to me here, especially against the fuzzy jacket and tie. I also don't really like the shirt collar; it looks quite rigid and flat and possibly a little low. The tie could have a bit more expression too; it seems to lie flat like the shirt, making the combination unnecessarily lifeless. The square looks a bit blocky and regimental; tucked in a touch more would be an improvement, but a puffed silk square would feel warmer against that soft jacket. The jacket itself is nice. Could it be a little shorter? Probably, but it's difficult to really tell with this photo angle and I don't mind a slightly longer jacket anyway.

Beard is undeniably awesome!

Last edited: May 19, 2012

8. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

I want your life.

9. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Went to watch an exhibition today.

[​IMG]

10. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

I agree, this suit pales in comparison to your peaked lapel suit, which looks awesome. The lapels on this one look tiny, what gives??

I can't imagine what Comrade could possibly dislike about the shoes tho, they look really great/ great coloring in the leather, etc.

11. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

12. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Just say the word bro [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Det var ruggigt tidigare idag men nu har det spruckit upp. :happy:

14. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member