1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BUSP

BUSP Active Member

More than you'll ever know...

2. Anden

Anden Distinguished Member

+1!

3. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

That's exactly what I was trying to explain. it isn't some kind of rule of thumb where IT MUST be poofed. I have seen many execute a square fold silk ps well (My former boss comes to mind)

Last edited: May 15, 2012

4. zalb916

zalb916 Distinguished Member

5. acridsheep

acridsheep Distinguished Member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

I'm here for the foofing.

6. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Distinguished Member

I buttoned the bottom button of my blazer. Also, note the four sleeve buttons, all buttoned.

I don't understand. Are you saying:

1. You're not sure how I am dressed any more in emulation of JFK than I am dressed in emulation of anybody else in this thread; or

2. You're not sure how I am dressed any more in emulation of JFK than anybody else in this thread is dressed in emulation of JFK?

And loafers without tassels. And socks.

Actually, I think the disparity is that JFK's legs were longer than mine are. For that reason, even though the hem of his coat was higher up than mine, his feet still touched the ground when he was standing.

7. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I haven't.

An opinion of taste becomes fact when people begin to follow it.

But neither of those details are important. Lots of jackets have four buttons on the sleeve. And he may have buttoned the bottom button of his jacket by accident (it doesn't look good, in any event). Notice that Will's own article makes no mention of buttons. His primary focus is the combination of a navy blazer and cream trousers. That is what is special about the JFK photo--not how many buttons are on his sleeve, not the side his hair is parted on, not the model of car behind him, etc.

#2.

However you cut it, his jacket was distinctly short. Yours is moderate in length, if not a bit long.

8. mafoofan

It is my opinion (well-argued, i believe) that my opinion should be fact. Folded silk is an awful thing, and it's really not a particularly eccentric opinion to begin with.

9. acecow

acecow Distinguished Member

I understand why people don't like Foo, but he does speak the truth most of the time. And he's very good at describing it.

10. Tirailleur1

So dragon tees are appropriate since Ed Hardy has a huge following?

I don't follow your logic.

I don't recall reading anywhere where this is fact. If you just went ahead and made the same claim you did in your response to Sugar then I could buy that. (You are the all legendary Foo after all),
    this one however I am not buying.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

In the context of this kind of dress, unfortunately yes.

12. mafoofan

Thanks. It's my hope that vivid description will convince some.

It is impossible to prove anything about aesthetic taste, since logic operates on predetermined premises and it's exactly disagreement on those such premises that create divergence in aesthetic taste. It is only my hope that repetitive, exacting, colorful reiteration of my opinions will nonetheless convince people I am right. When they come to agree with my opinions, my opinions might as well be proven fact to begin with.

Maybe the problem is that you don't know what you're looking at. I don't mean that as a personal affront, as it could be true of any one of us. Rather, the point is, if you want to find the closest thing to an objective fact about how silk squares should be worn, then you need to first identify instances in which a man is universally accepted to be well-dressed. After you've done that, see how many such instances feature a folded silk square. I submit that you will find close to none if you proceed with the exercise.

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

YES! We have agreement! I, too, believe that my opinion should be fact!

I hope you'll forgive me: Will.i.n

But srsly, this is a DFIH. It's just a thin tie. I sometimes wear it with teh Windsor, but I also like this knot.

14. Tirailleur1

I think there is a disconnect in this conversation.
    I am in no way claiming that a silk ps doesn't look better puffed. All I am saying is that one can successfully execute the square fold look with one. I don't think there should be a rule of thumb as to wearing the ps. The notion of wearing one imo is enough as it is.

15. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Distinguished Member

By accident? I think not. Here he is doing it again (or, rather, he's doing it again in the blazer picture which post-dated this one by more than twenty years):

[​IMG]

Also note that his legs don't seem to have grown to their full length at the time of this picture. The hem of his coat is much closer to the ground here than in the blazer photo.

As for Will not discussing buttons, Will's blog is written for the cognoscenti. He would have no need to mention such basic principles, even though they form the sine qua non of elegant dressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.