HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

I dunno I disagree. I feel you do whatever you want to your pocket square. When you start thinking about how it should be worn it becomes an issue of overthinking rubric.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hey thanks. I think the wind blowing makes them look sucked in here. Yeah, the shoes are G&G TG73 last.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

The square and tie clash loudly. Shirt collar doesn't look like it was meant to be worn with a tie--it's way too small. Combined with the small lapels on the jacket, you look 20-30 pounds heavier than you probably actually are. It doesn't help that the jacket is already a bit tight.

Overall, there are too many strong, saturated colors in this outfit. The eye needs a break and some place to go when it gets tired of the bold and loud.

4. mafoofan

Unfortunately, this is patently false. The goal is to look like something is naturally done, or at least done in a non-distracting way. That is not the same as not putting effort into its composition. Folded silk looks bad because silk is soft and does not hold an edge the way linen or cotton does. You wind up with rumpled lines that make it apparent the square is being forced into a shape not germane to its physical tendencies. Good silk likes to bounce and reflect light. Thus, it should always be poofed. Any other approach demonstrates a failure to understand what you are working with.

Yeah, that's probably what's happening. Are the shoes a G&G attempt to do the Cleverly toe?

Last edited: May 15, 2012

5. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

[​IMG]
    Corneliani, RLBL, Kiton, Panta, Prada, IWC, G&G, Pantherella.

6. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

forced into a shape not germane to its physical tendencies. quote]

The gaht-dayum Germans got nothin to do with it!!

(anyone name that flick?)

7. Ant Honey

Ant Honey Well-Known Member

I completely agree, if that means anything to you.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, basically. I mean, Tony from G&G used to work for Cleverly so it makes sense.

9. mafoofan

I will be upfront in admitting I simply hate this tie in and of itself. However, it also doesn't integrate well with your outfit. The coloring and apparent weight of the jacket are very fall and winter oriented. The tie is much more appropriate for warmer seasons. On top of that, the tie's brightness and sheen are far more in fitting with business formal wear.

The shirt's pattern is too close in scale to that of the jacket. Bolder, larger stripes--or no pattern at all--would be far superior.

10. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

I agree 1000% on the tie comment. It hasnt been worn in over a year. I felt guilty and figured id give it a go today before deciding to get rid of it.

thanks for the feedback foofie.

11. mafoofan

In what sense is this outfit reminiscent of 1962?

I'm not really seeing the resemblance.

To be fair, I have always thought Kennedy to be an overrated dresser. However, the appeal of his outfit in the above photo is due to its high-contrast composition, clean lines (particular in the trousers), and leisurely character. Your outfit lacks all of those qualities. The only thing similar to my eye is that you and he are both wearing a jacket, tie, and shirt. I'm not sure, then, how you are dressed any more in emulation of JFK here than anybody else in this thread.

If you wanted to capture more of what JFK accomplished in the photo, you need some light colored trousers with a better, more tailored line and near zero break. You also need a shorter jacket. You must have long arms compared to Kennedy's. Though your hems both reach similar spots relative to your hands, his jacket is much shorter relative to his body and appears to stop just after his rear end. Your jacket descends down to your hips.

12. IST66

IST66 Senior member

13. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the tie throws off the look. Maybe something darker/stronger in tone would work better.

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Is the basis of this assessment that one is peeking out from underneath the lapel? If so, that's because I've turned my head and I'm extending an arm in front of me to hold the camera. In any case, I no longer order my shirts with this type of collar, but I don't find it objectionable enough not to wear.

:foo: , you do a great job of stating an opinion as fact. I generally agree with your points above, but I think the unheld edges of a folded silk square can sometimes look quite nice (but not as IST did it).

So, here's today (and my 2000th post, yo):

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.