1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

Spoozy, easily your best fit/colour combination to date; re- TRINI, i definitely dont think it is "wayy" too short - on the short side, but definitely wearable.

2. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

[​IMG]

I like the shoes and the jacket. But a big No for clip-on suspenders for grown men[​IMG]

3. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

^odd question, but did you reduce the size of teh trouser opening at the ankle on this commission?
    - negative, only changes are in the shoulder, arms & chest

Anywho, trying to incorporate some of the advice from yesterday, especially that of Phat Guido about how to take pics (Thanks again). Hopefully some of it comes through. Being Texas in the spring, the wind was up.
    - See below Nii has the answers

• good to see you took the photography advice. your proportions came out a lot better
    • the tie is very nice ... green actually goes well with brown so kudos for pulling that off.

and the bad:
    • avoid black and brown, particularly brown suits with black shoes. i think brown suede or darker brown calf would have been a lot better
    • work with a tailor to measure the length of your arms, and then work on your shirts and jacket sleeves, so that you have a consistent amount of cuff showing. it would surprise you that most people have different arm lengths and RTW shirts/suits dont account for that. that is causing your sleeves to look too long on one arm vs the other
    • look around here and you would see a lot of pictures on how jackets and pants should fit. with time you will find tweaks to things like the drape of your pants, shoulders etc.

PG - Details on the suit fabric? How does it hold up under hot weather?
    - SHITS all over Fresco.. Not cheap but it is LP so luxury.
    http://www.loropiana.com/eng/prodotti/tessuti/wave.php
    - FWIW my last trip to Singapore. Wore the jacket 5 days in a row & rotated pants. I tend to not take my jackets off, so on all day & all evening. I would hang over night & BOOM all is normal.

4. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

The air is like Pearl Harbour today
    [​IMG]

5. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

[​IMG] My fun Ringgu Jaketto for the Summer!

6. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    [​IMG]
    I respectfully disagree with those who say the jacket is too short, although the sleeves might be. Is that a Kent Wang bi-color knit tie?

[​IMG]
    Very, very nice.

7. Navi

Navi Senior member

The air is like Pearl Harbour today
    [​IMG]

Blue cashmere? Very nice tie [​IMG]

8. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

this is nice maestro. the bow is a nice touch and very well tied.
    CP, that suit is awesome.

9. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

[​IMG]

My fun Ringgu Jaketto for the Summer!

Oh my...

10. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

It's to rain AND snow in NYC over the next two days, so inspiration for fits is definitely not coming from the weather.

The suit you've seen recently, the tie I dug out of the closet, partially because I like it, partially because it's a narrow tie (at least for my collection), and is more proportionate to the lapels of today's suit.

The cufflinks are recent souvenirs of Venice - Murano glass - and are being worn solely as a caprice on my part - their color nor shape relate to the rest of my fit today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

I respectfully disagree with those who say the jacket is too short, although the sleeves might be. Is that a Kent Wang bi-color knit tie?
    IMO, overall length may be short, or at least on the shorter side of acceptable. My next coat will likely be longer. Sleeve length is definitely not short. Any indication that it might be probably has to do with the sleeve getting caught on the side of my coat (right sleeve) in the pic, my watch strap being very loose (I like it this way), and/or my awkward pose. I posted a pic of the coat buttoned earlier in this thread and in the CBD thread. There is clearly no pulling or tightness anywhere. Tie is from Kent Wang.

12. spoozy

spoozy Senior member

Your wird's are highly appreciated, nii, Even the more so when one Takes into Account you only don't praise Ebers other fit, especially not mine [​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Edgar allen pawn: cheers mate!

You Def. Should get your younger Brother some stuff, he's in desperate Need [​IMG]

Cheers, geoff!

[​IMG]

Oh wooooooow, what a sc !!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

@threadbarer: +1 and cheers!

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Trying to find my mojo again, so reverting to quasi basics. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

This is 100x better than yesterday's fit.

Seconded.

mktits - you're getting there. Some good advice given.

Thanks.

Much better.

Brown shoes.

Shirt with shorter sleeve length. Or pull down the sleeves on the jacket as they may have bunched up. Probably the former.

Shoulders are too big and the sleevehead is likely off as well. This is causing those indentations at the top of the sleeve. These are known here as "divots."

Colors work much better today, I like the tie.

Either the lapel rolled funny, or the suit needs to be pressed.

Mike

I'll make a note of the shoes. The sleeves of that shirt felt off all day. The cuffs are also cut way too big which is more than annoying given that They were put on there for me - not as a particular request, but because the collar was originally big and the B&M offered to change it and the cuffs when doing the alterations. This is perhaps a lesson in itself. And the suit does need pressed.

i know its going to feel like the criticisms just dont stop ... but soon enough you will be happy with yourself and how turned out you are. First the good:

• good to see you took the photography advice. your proportions came out a lot better
    • the tie is very nice ... green actually goes well with brown so kudos for pulling that off.

and the bad:
    • avoid black and brown, particularly brown suits with black shoes. i think brown suede or darker brown calf would have been a lot better
    • work with a tailor to measure the length of your arms, and then work on your shirts and jacket sleeves, so that you have a consistent amount of cuff showing. it would surprise you that most people have different arm lengths and RTW shirts/suits dont account for that. that is causing your sleeves to look too long on one arm vs the other
    • look around here and you would see a lot of pictures on how jackets and pants should fit. with time you will find tweaks to things like the drape of your pants, shoulders etc.

The problem I have with looking at what others do and trying to emulate it is simply that while I can do math and science which make people's heads explode, I have never been blessed with any sort of acumen for producing anything that could be considered derivative of visual art. While I have been learning to see how other fits work, how they are different, and how I can improve, as with all things like this I have resigned myself to quite alot of failure and head-wall connection before any of it begins to make sense.

You look significantly taller in this photo - bravo for proper height of camera. Take the advice of the other posters as to your fit - you've been smacked around enough today for me to go over your fit again.

Getting smacked around doesn't bother me. I've performed for directors with whom other members of the troupe have had to mediate the dissolution of tensions before the eruption of physical violence (on both parts), so I'm not too worried. If there's a legitimate constructive criticism I've not yet heard I'm all ears. Insults, condescension, and lack of courtesy are another matter all together. Thanks for the input though. I really like your fits and generally find things in them to take note of. Like today. That silhouette works very well for you and I think is a good example of something in the range of things which I should consider to be a good fit.

15. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Senior member

16. Edgar Allan Pwn

Edgar Allan Pwn Senior member

[​IMG]

Manfrotto tripod crew reprezent! [​IMG]

Oh, and that's a nice SC too.

Two days in one post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the jacket, shoes and scarf in the first pic a lot. The pants may be a hair on the big side, but I should really keep my mouth shut about pants. [​IMG]

Very nice combo on the second outfit as well. Scarf is a nice splash of colour. I think the cut of those pants are much better suited to your frame.

17. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Senior member

I like the jacket, shoes and scarf in the first pic a lot. The pants may be a hair on the big side, but I should really keep my mouth shut about pants. [​IMG]

Very nice combo on the second outfit as well. Scarf is a nice splash of colour. I think the cut of those pants are much better suited to your frame.

Interestingly, both trousers are cut from the same pattern. The first one (corduroy) definitely needs a pressing, though.

18. Edgar Allan Pwn

Edgar Allan Pwn Senior member

Interestingly, both trousers are cut from the same pattern. The first one (corduroy) definitely needs a pressing, though.

Surprising! Must just be the angle or an errant gust of wind, I suppose.

19. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Getting smacked around doesn't bother me. I've performed for directors with whom other members of the troupe have had to mediate the dissolution of tensions before the eruption of physical violence (on both parts), so I'm not too worried. If there's a legitimate constructive criticism I've not yet heard I'm all ears. Insults, condescension, and lack of courtesy are another matter all together. Thanks for the input though. I really like your fits and generally find things in them to take note of. Like today. That silhouette works very well for you and I think is a good example of something in the range of things which I should consider to be a good fit.

Your experience in the theatre (I will posit your tale as told above is theatrical in nature) is most colorful, and sounds true to what I've heard from theatrical professionals that I know here in NYC.

I try to proffer opinions honestly, but not for purposes of harm, and I've only been posting here regularly for a short while, and have had my own set of psychic bruises from criticism - most of it actually quite constructive.

As for my fits, my body seems to morph into different shapes, so it's always a crap shoot to see if
    what I've laid out the night before will fit reasonably on the day itself. It seems that I was relatively lucky today. Thanks for the comments.

20. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

It's to rain AND snow in NYC over the next two days, so inspiration for fits is definitely not coming from the weather.

The suit you've seen recently, the tie I dug out of the closet, partially because I like it, partially because it's a narrow tie (at least for my collection), and is more proportionate to the lapels of today's suit.

The cufflinks are recent souvenirs of Venice - Murano glass - and are being worn solely as a caprice on my part - their color nor shape relate to the rest of my fit today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is your best suit. You look really good here, Crusty, and this suit makes you look a good 15 pounds lighter. I even like the tie and square. I wish the photo was more crisp though. Something going on with your camera and the stripes.

Trying to find my mojo again, so reverting to quasi basics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks good, Spoo. I see you got the memo that it was copperish brown knit tie day. [​IMG]

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.