• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My history of posting crap quality pictures... continues.
Shame about the pic angle, because I suspect this looks good IRL.

[re: the trousers in Spoo's outfit] Also, I hate that they are uncuffed. Doesn't mesh at all with the very country tweed jacket / woven tie combination.

I agree with most of your recent commentary in the thread, but don't buy this point. To me, tweed jacket plus fairly slim tan trousers has a vaguely equestrian country feel to it... sort of a sartorial echo/callback to riding jacket & jodhpurs. In that context leaving them without turn-ups feels very right. Of course, a boot rather than shoes would really have cemented that visual association, but even so, I don't think turn-ups are at all required for it to make sense visually. I'd feel even more strongly if the trousers were a cavalry twill, which I'd never get turn-ups on and think it looks really odd with them given its military heritage, but I don't think they are cavalry twill based on the photo.

Difficult to tell from the photo but I suspec the jacket fit is good. Colours seem a bit flat but that might just be the lighting. What does bug me slightly is the shirt collar collapsing in on itself. If this happens regularly rather than just being a one-off in the photo, consider a higher collar (if your neck is long enough for it to look good, of course). Sorts this out most nicely.

Today, a tie that SF loves to rag on, and I just love to wear.
smile.gif

Willin

Reaction score

I think it's been mentioned here many times that critiquing hairstyles is ill-advised not only for the fact that they are partially dictated by nature and whatever you happen to be born with, but also because they are based on very personal aesthetic choices. That's why many choose to crop/obscure them...myself included. You can't actually "see" my hair although that didn't prevent you from making a sarcastic joke at my expense.... particularly when the comparison couldn't be any less accurate. And not only is Michael Richards fairly ugly on the outside, he's a racist prick... and ugly on the inside as well, so yes I find that offensive. However, if your post above is your version of an apology than I accept it.

You sound like you should be on the View.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today, a tie that SF loves to rag on, and I just love to wear. :)

I don't have the ego strength to wear this tie myself but I think it looks really good on you in the context of the nice pinstripe suit. I would likely wear a solid shirt with it but I am a tie/shirt coward :slayer:.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shirt (fine blue stripes), PS, and tie all from the Brethren. Click pic for a sharper image.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I agree with most of your recent commentary in the thread, but don't buy this point. To me, tweed jacket plus fairly slim tan trousers has a vaguely equestrian country feel to it... sort of a sartorial echo/callback to riding jacket & jodhpurs. In that context leaving them without turn-ups feels very right. Of course, a boot rather than shoes would really have cemented that visual association, but even so, I don't think turn-ups are at all required for it to make sense visually. I'd feel even more strongly if the trousers were a cavalry twill, which I'd never get turn-ups on and think it looks really odd with them given its military heritage, but I don't think they are cavalry twill based on the photo.

The associations I make with tweed are rarely equestrian-related, but that may be because I'm on the other side of the pond from you. There is no strong culture of Americans hunting or riding horses in tweed. It is just a more casual, rustic, abstractly countrified way of dressing.

Anyway, I don't think uncuffed trousers work well with rustic jackets associations aside. The problem is more aesthetic and fundamentally conceptual to me than anything else. A tweed jacket ensemble tends toward pronounced textures, patterns, and colors. It is visually much more complex than a typical business suit get-up. Streamlined trousers don't fit the context.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You sound like you should be on the View.

I'll take your word for it since it's obviously something with which you're quite familiar.

Willin

Reaction score

The gorge height in particular. Not because it is trendy, but because it looks bad.
I think if he worked on his pocket square execution, he'd be doing very well.

Foo - can your provide some examples of where the gorges should land? Or what are the particular rules in this regard for notch lapels?

Thanks

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Foo - can your provide some examples of where the gorges should land? Or what are the particular rules in this regard for notch lapels?
Thanks

I like the gorge line right on the collarbone. Trends have made it dip and rise over the years though.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks

I don't think there is a rule of thumb, as different gorge heights will suit different people. However, the overwhelming trend toward extremely high gorges has led to a preponderance of gorges that are comically high and implemented in total disregard of aesthetic considerations outside the trend.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think there is a rule of thumb, as different gorge heights will suit different people. However, the overwhelming trend toward extremely high gorges has led to a preponderance of gorges that are comically high and implemented in total disregard of aesthetic considerations outside the trend.

I've noticed this as well... even brought it up to a few members. mostly thought I was full of it or they didn't know what I was talking about. goes along with that skinny lapel bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads