HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Crappy pictures today sorry about that. Pants are blue tic weave, not quite navy. Shoes were walnut strands. New summer finds coming soon (Light grey Caruso suit, Corneliani summer windowpane).

[​IMG]

Detail

2. JAMan

JAMan Member

digging that jacket and tie! Epicness for sure!

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

4. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

^Goddamn spoo that is an amazing jacket. Details please? It looks wool/silk?

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thanks man. Its a noname, but tons of handwork. It feels like a wool cashmere.

6. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Tis very nice, I am a fan of anything with a blue windowpane and check.

Reality check gentleman, am I an idiot for considering a double breasted RLBL blazer at 75% off? I am 27...

7. acecow

acecow Senior member

Spoo, could I get a full-size shot of that, please? My Dad has a similar jacket and is afraid to try new combinations with it. (The Chester Barrie I bought off of you). I'm going to send this to him so he can see how good it can look.
    Also, if you have some more pictures with this jacket in different combinations, I'd appreciate if you post them or send them to me via pm. Many thanks!

8. acecow

acecow Senior member

Most likely, unless you want to hang out with Tibor.
    Although I've seen some awesome looking ensembles with DB blazers from younger folks, I still think it looks affected most of the time. I'm 29 and I wouldn't do it.

Last edited: May 8, 2012

9. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

^ True but I think moss rocks has put out some great fits with a DB RLBL blazer recently and I think he is younger than us. FWIW, I think I can use it without looking affected...with colorful pants or with some tropical wool trousers or dark selvedge jeans...

10. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Lots of dissonance here. The jacket cloth appears more appropriate for a suit, due to the the smooth texture and the fine herringbone pattern. The textures and patterns throughout the outfit are all too uniform: no pattern in the tie combined with medium texture, very fine texture and pattern in the jacket, very fine pattern in the shirt, etc. In short, everything scores low on the intensity scale. Also, everything is very matte. One might think the pocket square would help, but it is also matte and its brightness and pastel tones are anomalous, immediately drawing the eye. It also looks very summer and casual, which clashes with the much more urban/business orientation of the overall outfit.

I would never love this combination for many of the reasons above, but a different pocket square could have made a huge difference. A dark, non-navy silk square with a high contrast, medium-to-large scale pattern is what I imagine. Maybe something with a dark plum or dark brown background.

I think this is a lesson in why skinny sleeves are bad. Honestly, it's hard to tell much otherwise about the fit from this pic. However, I will say this: the skinny, high-gorge lapels are conspicuously skinny and high-gorged. I realize that is the trend (and has been for the last decade or so it seems), but they are not visually balanced in your case.

This jacket is way too tight over that sweater. Otherwise, you've done a decent job of putting things together. It's not an exciting combination, but who needs that? Trousers would look better if they didn't fit like jeans.

Those shoulders are awful. The skinny lapels don't help--it's as if they've been stapled on. The pocket square is directionally challenged (i think it looks better with a slight tilt in the other direction, and with less showing). What color is that shirt?

The buttoning point is arguably a bit high. The breast pocket certainly is. Combined with the super high gorge on the lapels, one gets the distinct impression that God himself is tugging up on your jacket. The buttondown collar is not shaped nicely for a buttondown collar: where is the pretty roll?

I see why this outfit wins forum adoration, but the details need significant work. Then, it could be very nice.

Shirt sleeves are obviously too long. Pocket square belongs to a different outfit. Again with the lapels--are they a WAYWRN badge of honor? Also, the way you are matching the socks to the square is bit too cute. I like to choose outfit components that reference each other, but avoid matching them so completely.

11. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

This is pretty good, but I think you missed an opportunity with the trousers! Grey flannel would have been perfection. Also, I hate that they are uncuffed. Doesn't mesh at all with the very country tweed jacket / woven tie combination.

12. milecargo

milecargo Senior member

today was deep

13. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

I think RLBL works fine for that age, as long as you have the right build. It's on the trendy side but not so much without those skinny lapels on the single breasted ones. I have a DB and I think it definitely looks less trendy than the single breasts. Looking at your posts I think it would work very well, if your size fits you.

14. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Did someone mention my name?

15. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

My first Foo critique! It stings a little, but I am honored nonetheless. :worship2: :foo:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.