HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I think it helps to be young. Young with a degree of studied or educated carelessness. I won't use the word "sprezz" here or any of that nonsense, but I do think the guys that pull it off well are a little rough around the edges and have a degree of eccentricity to them. Almost as if jeans are the only thing they could wear with the look.

I think Sid's employees do it well:
    [​IMG]

The unstructured SC (which is a 3-roll-2 peak lapel, so let that simmer on its own for a minute), knit tie, floppy collar, hoof-pick belt and playful slippers all seem to echo a laid back aesthetic. Also, everything here has a more crunchy/unfinished texture. No shiny silks, no crisp edges, no mirror-shine polishes.

I fear here (an other places) people try and pair a more structured, conservative SC or orphan that is made to be worn with formal slacks or as part of a suit with their jeans. The point to jeans is that they should be paired with equally casual accompaniments. It isn't the same relationship shared by odd trousers and jackets that can easily be mixed and matched.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. Blasphima

Blasphima Member

Wore this DB for the first time today and recieved several compliments.
    What does Styleforvm say, yay or nay?

[​IMG]

3. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

Hadn't thought to post today's throwback to the winter we never had, but since you asked:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

What is he doing to the shirt sleeves in his wardrobe [​IMG]

5. RoddyMac

RoddyMac Member

6. bourbonbasted

Picture was taken at the store Sid Mashburn in Atlanta. I can't completely tell, but they appear to be spring/summer linen or loose weave cotton shirts. Either way they are casual shirts and I have no problem with rolling my sleeves in casual shirts. Especially when it's over 100F outside. Granted I wouldn't hang them like that, but it is a retail environment.

7. oldog/oldtrix

It's not his wardrobe. It's a store display designed to show that the shirts sold there have functioning sleeve buttons. I know; I grew up in men's retail.

8. Off My Rack

Off My Rack Senior member

Looks like that photo was taken at Sid Mashburn in Atlanta. The front of the store, where they keep their casual wear, has all of the shirts hung with the sleeves rolled up. I suppose it is done to emphasize that those are the casual shirts.e

edit: looks like I'm about 30 seconds and 2 posts too slow. Although I wonder, oldog/oldtrix - what shirts don't have functioning sleeve buttons? Please excuse my ignorance, as I did not grow up in retail.

9. oldog/oldtrix

And not just for wearing jeans with a coat and tie. Anyway and notwithstanding, can it be done at 65? Too bad I didn't take a photo for posterity, but the day I wore this combo I switched the trousers and socks for a pair of old 501s and no socks before getting on a plane for a long flight:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

did you keep the tie?

Wait!? somebody sells shirts without working sleeve buttons?

11. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

+1 to Warhol
    not great SF "fit" pix... hard to find good ones, but for reference....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

agreed... I like your analysis of this he HF... but omg, he's wearing loafers! with jeans! surely the Anti-Christ is not far behind! :stirpot:

12. oldog/oldtrix

[​IMG]

Look at the shirts on the middle shelf in the photo above. At first blush, it appears that they are neatly folded to make optimal use of the display cabinet. But don't be fooled. It's all a clever ploy to hide the fact that the sleeves are stitched closed and have only faux buttons and button holes.

13. Willin

Willin Senior member

I do believe he meant functioning forearm sleeve buttons. You know, for casual shirts so that you can roll them up.

14. bourbonbasted

Same philosophy I outlined, different age bracket. Though I do think older guys look cooler with open collars and jeans. Makes them look a bit younger:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

faux buttons and button holes... wtf is a faux button? it looks and acts like a button but in reality is NOT a button? :puzzled:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.