HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

Let me answer to the two of you... why jeans with tie and jacket ? because when done right it DOES look good!!! Anden, has consistently posted good stuff, and this last one doesn't disappoint...

Go back about 50 years and Andy Warhol was already doing the jeans and tie + blazer very well...

Fit is good... the shoes on the other hand... :eek: may be is the angle of the picture, but they seem way pointy, you know what I mean ?

Welcome to SF

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. WaterlooMike

WaterlooMike Well-Known Member

I'm going to take a shot at this... [​IMG] Too SW&D? Since I was bold enough to comment, here's todays fit, courtesy of crappy bberry. I'm trying to will spring into existence with my tie/sock combo. Be easy on me, wardrobe in transition, put together on a budget heavily curtailed by upcoming wedding. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Lack of full body shot due to lack of photographer/mirror. The check of the shirt is much more purple and light lavender than is coming through in the pics.

3. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

4. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

i dont use instagram. adjusting the shit original photos makes it a little better. maybe one day ill wake up extra early and use my dlsr, but i doubt it.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Dark charcoal (just off black) trousers & black shoes (monks, if you want something shiny down there to balance the bright tie/square)..

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

I never really got (or liked) half-zips under jackets. Something just looks off.

7. Willin

Willin Senior member

Yea, I stood next to a gent attempting that look in the elevator the other day. It looked too contrived yet hobo-ish. I do not dig it. It's a hood short of a Hot Topic outfit.

8. NORE

NORE Senior member

You said it, Will.i.in

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Will.i.n

You spelled it wrong again...

10. NORE

NORE Senior member

11. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Quote:
    I know this was awhile ago, but these lapels look pretty similar:
    [​IMG]
    What brand is that jacket and where did you find it? If it was a thrift store find it may be more of a 'fashion' jacket that needs better context, the only reason I suspect this is because the tailoring on it looks pretty nice.

12. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is one of the best pairings of expressive patterned socks and color coordination I've seen on this thread, ever. It makes a statement without having to be OTT or GTH.

:slayer:

13. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

new shirt, enjoy the day everyone.
    edit: sorry for the double image

[​IMG]

14. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

This entire fit is awesome. I really like the SC as is, with the lapels being big but not overdone. Also, those kicks are ridiculous, and for that I hate you.

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Without meaning to pick on Anden specifically, how can you really tell without seeing the overall look? I find it really hard to visualise whole outfits based on a handful of close-up shots. Could be good, could be really jarring. Very difficult to tell (my hunch is actually the latter, but I can't be sure and wouldn't have commented on it at all without the context of the broader discussion we're having).

On the more general point of jeans & tie/blazer, I do think it can work, theoretically.

But it requires a much higher level of aesthetic judgement than more straightforward looks simply because of the disparate cultural messages of the individual elements involved. If you like, the Difficulty Multiplier is higher. Most people attempting it fail as a result of that, including myself. I lack sufficient familiarity/skill with the language of one of the elements (the denim) to execute the overall look well, and also lack sufficient interest to attempt to really learn it for the future. Given the difficulty, unless you're really talented at doing this kind of look or alternatively, really want to devote yourself to mastering it, it's probably a look best avoided. I do like seeing examples of it being done well, though. I've no objection to it on a theoretical level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.