1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acecow

acecow Distinguished Member

Oh man, are you trolling? Where was that pile-on? I must've missed it, because all I've seen was 3 people saying his pants weren't that great. That's nothing compared to what Moo got in SW&D for his wide gray trousers. And his top was way better than Shah's.

I think it's the whole population who was conditioned that way, not just SF. I respect you for wearing the hat the way it's supposed to, though. I wish this style would come back. There's little use for hats where I live, but it'd be a welcome accessory, just for fun. Unfortunately, nowadays whenever I see hats, they're worn with ridiculous casual ensembles and never taken off inside.

Serious question: Do hats make a big head appear bigger or the other way around?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

2. upr_crust

upr_crust Distinguished Member

Was that what was mentioned in the Mayan calendar? Who knew that the Mayans knew about a 3-roll-1 (or that J. Press had a branch in the Yucatan prior to 1492)?

3. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

[​IMG]

"And at the apocalypse, there will be a man with horrible button stance. He shall be our undoing."

4. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

well first i don't mind any of the criticism, particularly about the footwear when some dummy confused mihara for aldos that was kinda funny. second, the responses to moo were mostly due to his bout of mad cow disease, becoming hyper-defensive and the fact that he looked fat due to his trousers -- I didn't display the same reaction because the opinions offered came mostly from bovine posters such as acecow and moo which are not very useful to me and i took into consideration what some others had to say. it certainly wasn't a great fit but i wasn't aiming for anything but comfort. and third, yohji trumps whatever he was wearing though his jacket was not bad.

watch this space for more yohji-san

5. acecow

I never said your fit was bad, in fact, you're welcome to re-read my response and see for yourself. I was mostly amazed at gdl's claims of the alleged pile-up on you. And if I missed it, I'd like to read it, so maybe he'd let me know in what thread it happened.

6. upr_crust

As someone who wears hats with some regularity, and someone with a sizeable cranium (hat size 7 1/2 - 7 5/8, or 60/61 European), I don't think that hats either reduce the appearance of size of one's noggin, nor do they increase it, in my experience. Apart from the insulating qualities of a hat (an essential for a bald man in a NYC winter), hats (at least fedoras) act to frame one's face. I will tell you that hats (at least fedoras - and not the stingy-brim variety, which I could never wear, as they're ideal for long faces with small skulls - very much not me) give one visual "presence" - the frame of a hat's brim emphasizes the face underneath it.

As for the practice of a man wearing a hat indoors - that's the ill-conceived habit of hipster children. The only time that I practice that faux pas is in a crowded lunch venue where the only safe place for the hat is on my head.

7. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

is this in regard to more formal hats ? if they undo the effect of large poofy hair then the head will appear again smaller, but that may not be an issue for me anymore since i've shaved it all off :eek:
    but what about caps (like my brimless damir chapeau), or less formal headwear ? i've also wrapped/draped scarves around my head. and i've worn the same item gdl has used as his pocket square on my head.

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Shah, more magic carpet, less terrible mall brand outfits. Thx.

I guess it's a lose/lose when you think about it. :confused:

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

A pile-on is not necessarily characterized by the height of the pile but by the dynamics of several posters posting consecutive negative posts, generally hammering the same point (a.k.a. the :deadhorse: effect). Which is what happened here until people were interrupted by that Indochino fit. One of the issue on MC is often a complete miss of the forest for the trees - people focus on details without stepping back and looking a how things look as a whole. That outfit was pretty damn boring but the overall goal was for a relaxed, almost young university faculty look. I.e. NOT the incotex + fitted shirt + tv-fold square that's favored here. It's not the same silhouette that's targeted. These pants were really not that bad in the context of the outfit. They don't stand out as anything fantastic but they are totally fine with this outfit. Put him in slim tapered incotex and the result would be completely different than what he's aiming for. Now, I don't think it's a coincidence that the locals jumped at his throat - there's still a good amount of resentment (butthurtitude in moo speak) towards shah and some of the SWD crowd for some of the things that happened over the last few weeks.

Anyhow, back to celebrating high-frequency posters who promote mediocrity and lack taste, but are buddies after all.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

I thought it was charming when shah posted the same pants on a model so that we can see what they're supposed to look like when worn correctly and "in context" (in gdl-speak).

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

added to styfo glossary

pile on [pahyl awn] :

:plain:

13. upr_crust

My comments were in the context of more formal hats, and large poofy hair was last a detail of my life in the 1970's (sometime prior to your birth), so it was not even on my mental radar screen.

For weekend wear, I have any number of caps - flat caps and baseball caps, depending on the level of informality, but, crotchety old stickler that I am, I generally remove said headgear from my head while indoors (and not wearing outerwear).

I would not dare to wrap a scarf around my head - some might look like Douglas Fairbanks in "The Thief of Baghdad", but I would look more like someone's Aunt Minnie from Dubuque. :embar:

14. acecow

Sigh, I should go back 5 pages and copy all the real comments, which were mostly to the tune of "the pants aren't good, but overall it's not bad". Hardly a pile-up. Unfortunately, I don't care enough for you, your biased opinions and this whole discussion in general.

I will discuss the one thing that I do care about, though. The fit of those pants. Incotex-slim and good fit aren't synonyms in SF, you should know that. You have a good eye for clothes. Shah's pants fit bad for a loose, relaxed fit. They were folding and creasing in all the wrong places, the hem lay sloppily on the shoes and the silhouette they produced was far from flattering. It had nothing to do with how slim they were. If you're going to praise him for dressing in a sloppy university faculty look, then I don't understand what you're doing on this forum. What's next? Praising white socks with dress pants just because the guy went for a relaxed american look?

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Once again, you show that you simply cannot fathom that some people are aiming for a different aesthetic than yours. Time and time again, you prove this. You are using a different tone here than the pathetic insults you threw around in SWD WAYWT but the end conclusion is the same IMO.

I think you're wrong on the pants fit and I'll leave it at that -I can't imagine we could possibly have a constructive conversation about this given your narrow approach to what can look good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.