• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Some of this might be a definition difference. I don't really see the MC-SW&D as formal-casual divide. There's formality and casualness in both areas..and in the casual mode, areas of overlap.
The fit pics that started off these exchanges, and then most of the ones presented later by both those who find SW&D valueless and those who value it, don't represent "casual" to me per se. They all seem highly formal, just not of the type the slots in with the tradition and working realities of classic tailored dress.
I don't think that the SW&D members think the arch-looks of SW&D as "casual." They see it as "modern" and all-encompassing in terms of its relevance to their dressing choices. They're dressing to their nines in their modern clothes.
So, I am saying that I don't seen MC and SW&D as "formal" and "casual" subsets of a larger whole.

It is worth noting that casual dress in classic MC is no less elaborate than formal (and business) dress. And while the rules may be less rigid, casual dress is more textured, colorful and patterned than formal dress. In other words, it is dressing to the nines (wherever that came from), perhaps more so. Unlike conservative business dress/formal/business wear, though, full fig causal tailored dress appears to be more and more anachronistic. It is hanging on, but barely.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Some of this might be a definition difference. I don't really see the MC-SW&D as formal-casual divide. There's formality and casualness in both areas..and in the casual mode, areas of overlap.
(...)
So, I am saying that I don't seen MC and SW&D as "formal" and "casual" subsets of a larger whole.

I agree with this and don't think I said otherwise, even though clearly the scales are very staggered. I do think that there's a high level of failure when MCers go casual and that they should be able to pick up some cues (on silhouette, materials, layering, specific products) by looking at what SW&D does. They won't like everything they see (and that's normal) but they may like (learn?) a thing or two - I mean, you did/do, right? How do you make your choices of denim, hoodies, etc... if not by venturing over there and soaking in some of the information ?

I'm a bridge builder, man. I encourage people to look across the aisle and develop their own taste and ideas based on what they see. Some may fall in love with the heritage/retro look that MoK or zissou sport, others may get into "baller" knitwear, others may develop an interest in a well-fitting leather jacket, some may upgrade their weekend sneakers... I dunno. I found a lot of great things and looks that I like to wear on weekends there. I couldn't say the same thing about casual fits in MC.

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I agree with this and don't think I said otherwise, even though clearly the scales are very staggered. I do think that there's a high level of failure when MCers go casual and that may be able to pick up some cues (on silhouette, materials, layering, specific products) by looking at what SW&D does. They won't like everything they see (and that's normal) but they may like (learn?) a thing or two - I mean, you did/do, right? How do you make your choices of denim, hoodies, etc... if not by venturing over there and soaking in some of the information ?
I'm a bridge builder, man. I encourage people to look across the aisle and develop their own taste and ideas based on what they see. Some may fall in love with the heritage/retro look that MoK or zissou sport, others may develop an interest in a well-fitting leather jacket, some may upgrade their weekend sneakers... I dunno.

:cry:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

It is worth noting that casual dress in classic MC is no less elaborate than formal (and business) dress. And while the rules may be less rigid, casual dress is more textured, colorful and patterned than formal dress. In other words, it is dressing to the nines (wherever that came from), perhaps more so. Unlike conservative business dress/formal/business wear, though, full fig causal tailored dress appears to be more and more anachronistic. It is hanging on, but barely.

I am going to wear a Friday suit this Friday because of this post.

And a weekend suit this weekend.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess this would be a reverse-cherry-pick?
1. Jamieson is a red herring. That was an old "MC" fit cross-posted over there. He can basically do no wrong, but I'm not a fan of the hat...which is as ubiquitous in your selections as are...oddly...raincoats.
2. The guy with the slick hair and peacoat looks suspiciously like a Sartorialist pic. Is it really a SW&D member or even an SF member?
3. Berlin Report always looks great, which I hope any mens shop owner would. (There's that hat again, though.) A lot of what he wears falls into the category that Monkey and I were discussing.
Everyone else that you posted looks either really awful, or if not, has a look that if found on a dude approaching 30 or passing it, would look rather unfortunate. From tween to twenties, awful to great. Beyond that, I don't want to see a mktitsworth with fades indicating the contents of his front pockets.
Is this really the best that you could find? And what's with the raincoats...is humidity an issue in SW&D these days?
smile.gif

I actually was only on a 15-minute break so I didn't really do any cherry-picking at all other than to skip over the ones that Moo posted. Those are all from the first large post within that Hall of Fame thread, which is actually pretty expansive. Really, I'd recommend you guys just go flip through a few pages for yourself, there are fits from sufu and SZ and probably a few other places but it's largely sw&d or at least within that aesthetic.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am going to wear a Friday suit this Friday because of this post.
And a weekend suit this weekend.

By Friday suit do you mean wearable-in-the-City-but-for-commuting-to-the-country? Now that is anachronism.
I have a brown donegal suit that probably qualifies but I haven't worn it in many years.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

...and my next SW&D fit was going to include my 1961 Schott flight jacket :fu:
I have never heard of jeans worn casually called "marginal", but I suppose contextually, at a particular time and place, they may have been. As was my dashiki. Does Cucinelli make one with patch pockets? If so, I think it'd go great with my huaraches. Or my even more marginal wrestling shoes. Flexible hi-tops never get any love here.
Truth be told, I dig SW&D, but for many in MC, a mountaineering cape might need some time to achieve "classic" status. It did look cool on you, though.
I have a feeling you'll choose well.

Thanks. BTW military jackets illustrate my last answer to you perfectly; they were designed as utilitarian clothing, the idea was solving a specific situation in a specific environment (designing to precise specs vs design as a creative solution to today's living). However they entered common usage outside of this context mainly through youth streetstyle i.e. contemporary fashion of the times (vets coming back from vietnam or whatever) and are now offered by many italian houses and other assorted designers liked by the MC crowd but also constantly reworked or referenced by designers and streetwear brands. They're usually the pieces I like the most from makers such as Borrelli and I noticed you were also a fan. Now I think you look like an FBI field agent (not a bad thing with the right rig) and I look considerably more sketchy/decadent so we will really bring about different affects if we both wear one of those military pieces.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

By Friday suit do you mean wearable-in-the-City-but-for-commuting-to-the-country? Now that is anachronism.
I have a brown donegal suit that probably qualifies but I haven't worn it in many years.

Country wear just means "outside of job wear" or at least "my office has a relaxed dress code" anyway, do you actually go to some countryside manor wearing a tweed jacket with patch pockets and go horseriding in a tie?

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Country wear just means "outside of job wear" or at least "my office has a relaxed dress code" anyway, do you actually go to some countryside manor wearing a tweed jacket with patch pockets and go horseriding in a tie?

if i did would you hold this against me ?

Allez Allez

Reaction score
We should start a thread where people post fit pics for others to look at. That would be f'ing awesome.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Vox made a threak just for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads