HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

It is worth noting that casual dress in classic MC is no less elaborate than formal (and business) dress. And while the rules may be less rigid, casual dress is more textured, colorful and patterned than formal dress. In other words, it is dressing to the nines (wherever that came from), perhaps more so. Unlike CBD/formal/business wear, though, full fig causal tailored dress appears to be more and more anachronistic. It is hanging on, but barely.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I agree with this and don't think I said otherwise, even though clearly the scales are very staggered. I do think that there's a high level of failure when MCers go casual and that they should be able to pick up some cues (on silhouette, materials, layering, specific products) by looking at what SW&D does. They won't like everything they see (and that's normal) but they may like (learn?) a thing or two - I mean, you did/do, right? How do you make your choices of denim, hoodies, etc... if not by venturing over there and soaking in some of the information ?

I'm a bridge builder, man. I encourage people to look across the aisle and develop their own taste and ideas based on what they see. Some may fall in love with the heritage/retro look that MoK or zissou sport, others may get into "baller" knitwear, others may develop an interest in a well-fitting leather jacket, some may upgrade their weekend sneakers... I dunno. I found a lot of great things and looks that I like to wear on weekends there. I couldn't say the same thing about casual fits in MC.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  3. dopey

:cry:

4. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

5. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

I am going to wear a Friday suit this Friday because of this post.

And a weekend suit this weekend.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm going to wear my birthday suit tomorrow because of this post.

8. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I actually was only on a 15-minute break so I didn't really do any cherry-picking at all other than to skip over the ones that Moo posted. Those are all from the first large post within that Hall of Fame thread, which is actually pretty expansive. Really, I'd recommend you guys just go flip through a few pages for yourself, there are fits from sufu and SZ and probably a few other places but it's largely sw&d or at least within that aesthetic.

9. Fuuma

Oh I dislike it a lot for other reasons but it is successful in the way it brought the casual of today in the formal of yesterday.

10. dopey

By Friday suit do you mean wearable-in-the-City-but-for-commuting-to-the-country? Now that is anachronism.
    I have a brown donegal suit that probably qualifies but I haven't worn it in many years.

11. Fuuma

Thanks. BTW military jackets illustrate my last answer to you perfectly; they were designed as utilitarian clothing, the idea was solving a specific situation in a specific environment (designing to precise specs vs design as a creative solution to today's living). However they entered common usage outside of this context mainly through youth streetstyle i.e. contemporary fashion of the times (vets coming back from vietnam or whatever) and are now offered by many italian houses and other assorted designers liked by the MC crowd but also constantly reworked or referenced by designers and streetwear brands. They're usually the pieces I like the most from makers such as Borrelli and I noticed you were also a fan. Now I think you look like an FBI field agent (not a bad thing with the right rig) and I look considerably more sketchy/decadent so we will really bring about different affects if we both wear one of those military pieces.

12. Fuuma

Country wear just means "outside of job wear" or at least "my office has a relaxed dress code" anyway, do you actually go to some countryside manor wearing a tweed jacket with patch pockets and go horseriding in a tie?

13. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

if i did would you hold this against me ?

14. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

We should start a thread where people post fit pics for others to look at. That would be f'ing awesome.

15. dopey

Vox made a threak just for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.