1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

If I pair this cotton tie and white shirt (which has french cuffs)
    [​IMG]

with a conservative navy banker pinstripe suit, am I breaking sartorial rules? Or can it work because it's freakin hot outside?

3 people like this.
  2. NORE

NORE Senior member

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mr. Field has a great eye, I would weigh his opinion heavily in your decision. To whet your appetite and perhaps that of others, I did an interview with Mr. Field that will be posted in the coming days....

4. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

I agree, it is trickier than I thought. However, I really do love windowpanes and the fabric is really light and breatheable. I am thinking that dark grey would look ok but I also kind of like the off-white pant with it, especially with more pastel colored ties. Maybe a blue, not navy, but ligher blue color would work as well? Such as these

http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants/products/tropical-wool-pants-blue

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

indeed he does. please alert me of the article when it comes out.

i would love to have him do bespoke for me some time.

6. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

I was joking about visual clues about RTW. Shortening the skirt of a RTW jacket will not make it look less RTW. Whether the result is deemed successful or not is often a function of the wearer's capacity to look the other way concerning faults unaddressed or more minor faults replacing major faults.

7. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Good point. In regards to this specific jacket, I have worn 31 inch length from the BOC jackets on this thread before and have been told there were both 1) too long and 2) too short. So who the hell knows. This jacket, for whatever reason, is much longer looking than any other, which could be a function of the buttoning point, the quarters, or the fact it is a 2 button rather than 3. . The jacket would look better with the waist let out and possibly shortened a bit, it fits fine in the chest and shoulders. I will see what my tailor thinks. In either case, it was a cheap ebay purchase that I took a risk on, I won't be that upset if it is a bust as I enjoy wearing it regardless.

8. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

hey. Honorary Symposium today, so rare coat and tie fit during the summer. Pose is a hot mess and these pants are apparently too long. A tailoring we go.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  9. unbelragazzo

My entire approach to life is based around minor faults replacing major faults.

10. unbelragazzo

I haven't done any kind of scientific survey on it, but it seems to me that how open the quarters of a jacket are (among many other things) has a significant impact on the perceived length of a jacket, with a more open jacket giving an appearance of a longer jacket. This is just something I have a vague impression of, that I have a kind of mental note to pay more attention to in the future, so please take with a big pile of salt, and others should feel free to correct me with their own impressions.

11. in stitches

funny, my approach is trying to prevent enormous faults from destroying my life.

12. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Do not move to the Bay Area, then.

3 people like this.
  13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Great jacket, but IMO wrong shirt/tie for this look. Try a light blue button down and a dark knit or geometric/fancy print tie. My opinion again of course, both the shirt and jacket sleeves are about 1-1.5" too long.

14. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

^FWIW the shirt is light blue but it is a micro check pattern, will try a solid next time. I would love to try a neat pattern tie but was lost on the color. My mind automatically goes to purple, green, orange, or navy. Any suggestions on complimentary colors?

15. in stitches

what you did there, i see it.

16. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

17. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

1 person likes this.
  18. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top picture has the more true color. Shirt is light blue. Click pic to enlarge

6 people like this.
  19. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

I'm not sure I'm getting along with the new forum software, following my return to these hallowed halls... How do I respond to the comments and suggestions that are hidden behind the little thumbs-up icon? How do you guys get the discussions/mud-fights rolling in WAYWRN these days? ;)

@Holdfast - Good point about the collar. You recall correctly that I don't like button-downs much, but I'm thinking about getting some new MTM shirts with a different sort of collar for going tie-less. I was thinking either higher (so it will 'stand up for itself') or maybe a sort of 'hidden' button-down collar - I have a RTW shirt with that and it works well. Any ideas?

20. Muturi

Muturi New Member

[​IMG]

[1st Post--7/11/12] nothing special [cK tie]....feel so out of place compared to the rest of ya's splendid 'fits

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.