Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acecow

acecow Senior member

A simpler question is: What are you trying to achieve with your clothing? And what are you actually achieving?

Vox looks absolutely smashing in his tailored suits and jackets. (I'm not sucking up, I just really admire his collecting and taste.) He looks like a million bucks. Dressing like that makes people respect him, want to do business with him, provide better service for him, etc. Even a bunch of high school kids will undoubtedly see and sense his authority and not make fun of his "grandpa" clothing.

What does the goth ninja aesthetic achieve?

2. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

its just one pocket square.. honest...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Besides, depending on my look, I like my ps to show abit more.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

3. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I think the general goal with any form of dress is to form an emotional or aesthetic connection with others; we're social people and fashion is ultimately a form of communication. Very few apart from angsty high schoolers dress in a way as to alienate themselves. While your desired connection may be respect, business contacts, fellow opera fans, etc, someone else's might be house music or art or skateboarding. They're not looking for the same type of connection or expression, and thus use a different form of communication.

As an aside, theres really only one or two 'goth ninja' posters in sw + d, and they don't post too often.

@Tirailleur1: your last two fits were awesome, ps included. I'm not a fan of the loafers personally but otherwise [​IMG]

4. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Made me LOL.

However, I think your rise is a little short to be wearing with a sport coat. At least for me, I prefer high rise with sport coats/suits.

5. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

It achieves a lot of thumbs up.

6. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

That you're an angsty ninja with bad taste in music?

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

[​IMG]

Is it a beagle or a dachshund? Either way, they don't have much rise to begin with.

8. acecow

acecow Senior member

Great, so house music or skateboarding. I don't wear suits when I go roller-blading; I wear appropriate sports attire. Once again, one of the points of dressing is to dress according to the norms of your surroundings. Within certain bounds at least. If I were going to a house/rave party, I'd dress like that too, to the best of my and my wardrobe's abilities. We're talking about regular situations, though. Most SW&D posters go to school or run errands dressed like that. And they look out of place, no matter how much they're willing to deny it.

9. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

No, you misunderstood. I'm not talking about dressing a certain way while doing any of the activities you're interested in. As a simple example, consider that your favorite band is The Beatles. You wear your Beatles shirt to the grocery store, and inside a cute girl comes up to you and you two start talking about the Beatles because, by wearing the shirt, you were broadcasting your interests and personality in an external and nonverbal way, and you two become friends or date or have a short explosive fling, and you made a human connection because of a stupid $10 shirt you bought at Hot Topic.

Other ways of dressing have the same goal, but in a much less literal sense. Maybe you find 95% of people boring, so the 'norms' have no appeal for you, and that 5% are absolutely worth putting up with the disapproval of everyone else for. This obviously isn't the case for you personally but it is for many.

Does that make better sense?

10. acecow

acecow Senior member

Yes it does. But I never argued that. I did, from the very beginning, state that MC is more "normal" than SW&D and you just said the same thing. I'm not saying it as if it's a better thing, just stating the obvious.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thats my kids playroom. You will see detritus in most shots. The 5 foot monkey is just out of range on my right.

Surprised this didn't get any notes, I dig this a lot. Welcome to the board.

WELL fucking done, sir. :laugh: She's a dachshund.

12. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

spoo
    does she shed?
    our dog sheds so much... it's impossible to keep my clothes completely fur-free

13. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

14. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Oh my friend... why do you set up these cartoon arguments? High level bespoke vs goth ninja?

Vox looks absolutely smashing in his tailored suits and jackets. (I'm not sucking up, I just really admire his collecting and taste.)
    (so do I, but that's not the issue)

He looks like a million bucks. || He does. The 99% of the time that he isn't wearing an ascot.

Dressing like that makes people respect him, || Maybe- depends on the context. And how much respect he has earned in the eyes beholding.

want to do business with him,provide better service for him, etc. . || So clothing is about manipulating people, to get them to do your biding more easily. How very unattractive. See "how much respect he has earned".

Back to what Corbera said:
    There's nothing wrong with that premise.

15. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

Ha! I've always suspected that you weren't really one of us. Hand over your MC membership card, ace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.