HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Different strategies for how best to direct the blatant attempts at looking monied.

2. acecow

acecow Senior member

Like I said, who wouldn't want a Cesare Attollini suit? You're almost certain to get a great-fitting product. But if by some chance you stumble upon a Lauren RL suit that fits you well (impossible) you will be praised almost as much. There're brand whores everywhere, but SW&D has so many more of them, while in MC it's looked down upon.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I fear you may be reading a broader point into what was intended to be a narrow one: MC, like SW&D, does care about brands.

4. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

i don't think that's what he's saying...two people can also stil fall into SWD and dress nothing alike. his point was that at some level both care about brands equally (not sure on this myself).

this is wrong on every point :confused:

anyway wasting too much time rehashing the same arguments, you guys should think of posting some interesting fits instead.

5. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I will assume that I misinterpreted "MC" in your first post, and that you meant the concept of classic men's clothing rather the MC sub-forum here.

7. acecow

acecow Senior member

No, I actually meant most people in the MC subforum will accept an outfit regardless of brands. That has been my experience.

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

I live in the bay area and never see 95% of the outfits that get praise on SWD. MC is a totally different story.

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

10. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

...and getting laid.

11. acecow

acecow Senior member

As a young person, I find this point to be the most important one.

12. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Quote:
    There's a couple posters over in SW&D (mellowfellow off the top of my head) that regularly get 10-20 likes every time they post a fit which usually consists of mostly uniqlo, which would be about the price equivalent of your Lauren RL suit. There's another that wears mostly stuff I've never heard of (I think he finds them in the bargain bin at yoox) and combines them in a cool way and, again, usually is very appreciated.

Quote: ...
    You seem to be stuck in your world view and unable to accept that other people don't share your priorities and aspirations. Not wearing a suit isn't always, or even often, 'desperately rebelling against society.' Life isn't a big golden path to your way of thinking that the poor unfortunate people who don't like tweed are stuck lagging way behind on.

13. acecow

acecow Senior member

I wear suits maybe 3-4 times a month. I even started the MC Casual thread here, because it's more relevant to me. Would you tell me why most guys that come from SW&D to defend their point of view resort to childish and/or personal insults, and misinterpreting and twisting other people's posts and arguments? Also, they tend to try to raise the level of hostility instead of having a civilized argument? I thank Shah for holding a logical and argumentative discussion, even if I disagree with him.

14. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Quote:
    I apologize, my post came off as a lot more combative than I intended. My intent wasn't to insult, and I'm sorry it came off that way, the second paragraph was specifically a response to this, and not a personal attack on you:
    Quote: I don't agree that dressing differently is rebelling against society, or rebelling against anything, really. I think for a lot of people the progression goes the other way, from menswear to more eclectic clothing, and I don't see either way as more valid or better than the other. For the record, I usually dress relatively conservatively, jeans, boots etc, but I really enjoy all sorts of other things from an aesthetic standpoint.

15. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Restated into something I can buy into:

"MC seeks an unbroken connection to the past through the specific avenue of tailored clothes. For some it is a simple daily requirement of professional and social life...to dress as their father, grandfather, and so on among other men who also dress the same way. For some, it is an aesthetic decision to recover and preserve old things that are more beautiful than new things. For yet others, it is a form of nostalgia bound up in concepts of society and culture. It can be one, two or all three."

That idea is just great. It also points out where the "anti-costume" mind-set must fail: what if your father, grandfather, and so on did not follow the specific avenue of tailored clothing? To honor that past requires disrepute? Intellectually indefensible.

Seeking an unbroken connection to the past through the specific avenue of tailored clothing? What a wonderful concept. Stand proud when pursuing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.