HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Quote:
    I agree with most of what you say in this post, but this last but one paragraph just doesn't appear to follow or make internal sense. Perhaps you can help me.

Are you claiming that designers of RTW clothes in general do not have any knowledge of the history of clothing? If so, I would dispute this as many of them have probably studied it and are almost certainly enthusiasts if not formerly educated in the history of clothing. Or are you talking about the consumers of such clothes here? That might be a more reasonable claim. Secondly, are you claiming that the predominant marketing offer is novelty? If so, I would suggest that is only partially correct, and that particularly in menswear, even fast fashion menswear, the novelty involved is often only specifically related to what has gone immediately before and is almost never presumed to be novelty in terms of the whole history of style (in fact, many references are made to the past, perhaps in a way that is rather too postmodern and eclectic for your liking, but nevertheless those references are frequent). Finally, you seem to be claiming that these things result in a 'lack of talent in concept and execution'. One may indeed argue that many RTW clothes, especially, again, those from the fast fashion end of the spectrum are indeed badly made, but that does not mean that even they are badly designed or even that poor manufacture is necessarily bad execution of a concept - since the concept might be quick, disposable clothes to be worn a handful of times. That maybe ethically problematic especially in environmental terms but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with talent.

2. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

So, from your perspective, what shelf life allows a recycled look to become fresh again? And what is the point of that cycle, other than merchandizing?

3. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Nope.

4. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ interesting points Acecow! :nodding:

5. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

of course one major factor of such a cycle is merchandising/marketing, this is a sales-driven industry after all and that's not something we can deny unless you're getting everything sourced and hand made, in which case you live in a different dimension than a great majority. i'm not sure it even matters. it's not something i subscribe to. i've no patience for fast cycles, my wardrobe isn't some some state of flux but rather is tending toward some ideal i have in my head that i try manifesting. and if what I like is derivative or based on some slower-evolving cycle (i.e. resurgence of 19th century-inspired aesthetic or Orientalism) then so be it.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like both types of clothing, English and Ivy.

7. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Hey, me, too!

We run the gamut from A to B.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

8. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

That's okay because there's nothing else to C.

9. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

(Italian clothes.) :hide:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

10. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Let's just call that A 1/2. [​IMG]

11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Three be the things I shall never attain: envy, content and sufficient champagne.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Ace, this is twaddle. There are plenty of brand whores in MC. Hell, there are plenty who give it up for anything some fellow forumites wear. The brands aren't the same, and the enthusiasm gets rationalized as an appreciation of "quality" but for most folks, that's just aspirational bullshit. It's the same phenomenon as SW&D, just not as nakedly displayed.

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

I fear that I might be confused with the guys who hated your photograph. (My main reaction, if I had to categorize it, would be ambivalence...I hope that's okay.)

I tried to describe what makes the tailored clothing aesethetic, or costume, different than nearly all the other menswear costumes up on the racks today. I think that I succeeded, but there is always room for someone to surpass my attempt.

14. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

So, if "MC" is the same as "SW&D," why the difference in dress?

15. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Let's not get crazy. If MoK gigantic, oversized overcoat was, say, made by Brooks Brothers and not yohji, he would have been ridiculed over in SWD. SWD is exceptionally brand driven, moreso than MC. It's also exceptionally "crazy outfit" driven. Like I said before, SWD of late is all about the flavor of the month, which is fashion, not style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.