HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick pics.

2. Alexander

Alexander Senior member

I don't know but I think the shah got the point, don't post here Casual things and that's all see, Easy

3. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

:lurk:

Did I miss much?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

4. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I love you MC fellas, but sweet jeebus y'all need to lighten up. Shah was trolling a bit, but it's good to get a different perspective on MC every now and again. I personally didn't like the fit (here or in SW&D), but it's not like he was shooting to emulate Vox or Matt or :foo: and missed. He was going for something else. If you don't want everyone in SW&D to think you're tightasses, don't act like tightasses.

Anyway, today (in retrospect, I would have chosen a different shirt, but...):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. clarinetplayer

In response to sugarbutch
    "Sweet. Are those studs or buttons?"

Buttons.

7. clarinetplayer

Man, this is great from head to foot. I love this tie!

8. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

Just wore it as I would any other outfit I 've made mention of or have posted on this forum (not in MC, mind you) : out and about, a midday stroll and coffee, doing things I do on a regular basis, taking photos of my environment, meeting friends, I did sit in on a talk but it was by no means a formal affair, etc.

9. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

To what do you attribute the antagonism of some of the members in this thread to your photograph?

To me, the subsequent posts attempting to "defend" your look seem to miss the point.

10. the shah

To the first question, perhaps it's down to personal preference (i.e. not liking non-suit fits? disliking voluminous fits? disliking the mix of fabrics, dislike for my disregard of rules ascribed to here), pre-conceived notions about certain paradigms, disdain for anyone associated with SW&D (though I transcend such tribal boundaries, myself), my trolling by posting yohji/damir in MC WAYWRN thread focused on much more formal aesthetics, people unfamiliar with fashion beyond what they like, the flawed logic of "subjectivity" spouted off as some truth, perceived arrogance on my part (no intended), etc.

Apologies if it came across as such, as I said before I'm quite comfortable with what I wear regularly, but I'm not interested in defending my look so much as--forgive the repetition--specifically addressing the question, "what does it take to appreciate this look," which, in my opinion, is not much else than an open mind, good taste in general, knowledge of different aesthetics (this is, after all, a forum dedicated mostly to style, which is quite a vague term that encompasses a great deal), and perhaps, with the links provided, those who were unfamiliar with the brands could realize in what context this picture would make sense.

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I think this is where you're getting into trouble. I didn't like what you posted. Does that mean I don't have good taste? Or that I have different taste? I like a lot of what gets posted in SW&D, but just like here, I don't like it all categorically.

I suspect that many of the posters in MC just don't like fashion. They don't want to reevaluate their wardrobe every year to account for what's fashionable. They like the glacial pace of change in classic menswear, where chopping a couple of inches off the skirt of a jacket is radical. Neither side is inherently wrong or tasteless.

12. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

you know what Shah... I like the way you think.

I mean I love Rick Owens... and if you were to ask me who the greatest designer ever is I would tell you Helmut Lang. But I would never rock skirts, nor would I wear all black... but I appreciate the aesthetics.

If anything, you have made a new friend out of this "trolling" antics [​IMG]

13. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Why does there have to be a purpose to the fit? Like you´re saying right there, that day you went about your day normally and did plenty of things, but the outfit of choice wasn´t because of that; you just happened to want to dress like that and did it.
    When you are not bound to a specific way of dressing (because of your job or something else) you just choose to put on whatever you want everyday. There are days, whether I have to work or not, that I just throw on a tee, sneakers, jeans and a leather jacket, and there others where I go with a blazer, trousers, shoes or boots and a semi-formal shirt. And so on, depending on what I´m in the mood to wear said day.

14. the shah

ah, good point, but I'll clarify by showing there is no necessary clause in my assertion : indeed , to appreciate it you need good taste and the rest of what I mentioned. But not appreciating it does not necessitate lack of good taste. He did not ask, "why do I not like this?" but instead wondered what it would take to be able to like it, and in jest, suggested it was due to perhaps post count, and specific post counts at that. So, I appreciate that you are of a diverse opinion, and I meant this by no means as a slight to your tastes, and hope this alleviates any confusion !

To the rest of what you say, perhaps I am then more like the dinosaurs moving at glacial pace as well. I've always enjoyed idling between two ideological peaks of orientalist luxe-loungewear and antiquarian anti-fit formwalwear (if this makes sense), and I am not one to adopt the latest trends. I've spent a few years curating my wardrobe getting it to a point that I feel is not overburdened with incoherent variety but offers me enough room and flexibility to accomodate such disparate concepts, and indeed, some ability to merge them as well.

Tirailleur1 ~ enchanté :)

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Is this a good time to start being austere?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.