Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

That's interesting, Holdfast. So is it fair to say that you think that a solid black tie with that suit and shirt would give the suit-shirt combo too much punch? I do agree that it would put all the emphasis on suit and shirt, as it were. Maybe we have two opposite goals here? I'm looking for harmony by trying to bring the ensemble close to unity, and you're looking for it by seeking a coordinated diversity? (I'm trying not to load the language in favor of either option.)

2. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Thanks! Yep, I think your new tie will work great with a more textured casual suit, as you have on the way.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

4. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Thoughts on the fit of this suit? Should I shorten the length of the jacket? I realized after I put away the suit that the full picture with shoulders is too dark... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. W.R.

W.R. Senior member

Do not shorten the jacket.

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

+1. If anything it could be a little longer IMHO.

7. dieselman89

I thought it twas long, def. not too short for my taste.

8. unbelragazzo

It's hard to tell exactly what the problem is, but in my opinion there's something not right between the buttoning point of your jacket, the length of your jacket, and the rise of your trousers. This results in a lot of shirt showing below the button of the jacket and, to my eye, a somewhat awkward silhouette. I'm not a tailor nor enough of an expert to say what it is exactly that's off by these pictures, but certainly the jacket is not too long.

9. dieselman89

I like to wear my pants very high. It's weird but oh well. This probably explains why the belt is so close to the button.

10. dieselman89

Tie is unbelievable. Where is that from?

11. unbelragazzo

I was actually suggesting the opposite, that the pants are low - the belt seems far away from the button to me. Compare, for example, with these photos, from ASuitableWardrobe:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAGtc/myHYewv0EoY/s1600/AC+mill+suit.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Wl5FK3ZU1...AAIG0/c0z5B7cm9rQ/s1600/Peter+with+Graham.jpg

12. no one

no one Active Member

Wore this:...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...met her:

[​IMG]

13. dieselman89

I guess it's all personal preference. I kind of understand what your saying, but at the same time I do not. What do you think of the overall fit of the suit? I just spent a hefty amount of money getting it tailored. Does the suit look like it fits well?

14. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

I would not wear a black satin tie either, but for different (I think) reasons.

To me, the sheen of a satin tie would fight the boldly patterned suit for attention; whereas grenadine, a knit or even wool challis, each fabric being more muted, more matte in tone (but not fuzzy), would allow the suit to take centrestage. This is similar to the issue I had with yesterday's experiment; I took off the Vanda and went back to the Hober Challis (macclesfield pattern on midnight blue ground) eventually because the matte tone of the Challis tie counterbalanced the sheen of the mid-blue sharkskin suit.

It's a tricky balancing act though; if I had gone with a cashmere tie, for example, the fabric would have been too fuzzy to produce the same effect.

15. UncleCozy

UncleCozy Senior member

I only have a lowly mobile phone to shoot with, but I might get one more use out of it during easter, but it'll probably be too warm to wear it.
    Actually, you are quite the inspiration to me, especially your DB waistcoats and the crazy E&R one. Dandy-esque, british, a joie de vivre.. My first SR commission (4.5 years in the future or so, when I pass the bar) will definitely be for a 3P with a DB-waistcoat.

Thanks, I have to bring up the arms by an 1-1.5" and cuff the pants, but it's flanell and when next winter hits I'll probably be more of a 40R/L. I'm 6'1, coat (suit is a 44L) is a bit on the long side but I like them that way. I'll be moving away a lot of stuff eventually, but I'll keep them until I'm down 10-15kgs or so (ie summer). I'll drop a PM when I do.

Turnbull & Asser for Neiman Marcus, lilac/lavenderish
    60/40 Silk/Linen, ties a lovely knot and has a unique feel to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.