HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Can I go to these cool parties if I am a "Corporate" member? :D

2. Octoberfile

Octoberfile Senior member

I've got to tell you that the funeral I attended was very formal. All but a few of the men wore black suits. Those who didn't had flown in from out of state, but they still wore dark navy blue or charcoal suits, along with dark ties, and were forgiven since they traveled far to attend. The women didn't all necessarily wear black or dark colors, but they all dressed very well; jackets, pencil skirts, hats...etc...

However, the people attending were extremely old....more like ancient.....dinosaurs even! I was considered a young kid at this thing. The vast majority of those attending were born and raised in the depression era, WWII, and post WWII south. Many of the men fought in the south pacific during WWII or the Korean war. A few of the less older gentlemen served during the Vietnam war. My uncle had worked in one of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's CCC camps during the great depression. The deceased, who is my aunt, had lived in Memphis, Tennessee and was Elvis' neighbor, before he became famous. In fact, my aunt and Elvis Presley attended the same church in the early-to-mid 1950's. She also attended one of his early concerts when he was still signed to Sun Records. Many of the people there, including my father, talked about seeing German war prisoners being marched across town from the prison camps to the local town theatre to watch movies. This funeral was unique because most people who attended looked and acted as if time had stood still after 1964.

Most funerals here in the U.S. no longer really require the men to dress formally, and I'm fine with that. If I'm ever asked to purposely dress casual for a funeral or wedding, then I'll comply by getting up out of bed, throwing on a pair of shorts, a t-shirt, and some old tennis shoes and maybe I'll bother to comb my hair. However, unless specifically instructed not to, I wear suits to funerals. I have noticed that this sloppy dress code doesn't seem to pertain to women though. Women always seem to try and make a good faith effort to dress decent even when they are purposely dressing down.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

3. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Really? Based on how the majority of people dress I'm surprised anyone knows what clothing is. I guess in the US it really depends on where you live but I usually just figure I'll be WAY more nicely dressed than anyone else... even at "events" such as the symphony or art museum show openings I see guys wearing what you mentioned. Women at least make an effort but I feel sorry for them when they're dragging around some droopy pantsed dude who's idea of looking nice is putting on jeans, a North Face fleece and NOT wearing his baseball cap.

I've made a game of this, particularly in airports.... more fun in international airports such as Hong Kong. Try to pick out nationalities of two or more people together (families are even better because you get the added fun of generational influence) based on clothing. Having your iPod on will keep you from cheating (hearing them speak). Invariably, Americans are the most poorly dressed in these situations... nothing like a morbidly obese Mom and Dad in sweatpants toting along their soon to be diabetes afflicted, Croc-wearing brood of little snots!

4. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Which part of the word "NO" do you not understand? :D

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I don't like those roped shoulders with your body type and they look a little bit on that jacket. Not sure if the chest is a bit large as well. The sleeves in and of themselves look a little large. Not sure how much of that has to do with the shoulders though. That tie doesn't work with that color combo.

Don't like this one. Sleeves are too short, shoulders look a little snug, too many shades of blue there, dandy pocket square.

6. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Off topic, but where's O/O been lately?

I miss his posts..

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

8. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

9. cliche

cliche Senior member

HELL YES!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

10. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Happy to help! :slayer:

11. IST66

IST66 Senior member

//////

12. Artigas

Artigas Senior member

Really like the color of that trench.

13. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Happy tuesday gentleman. Two new things, outdoor shots (yey lighting!) and a new tie as well. Hopefully this one is a bit more well received shall we say. FWIW the tie is more golden than yellow, the sun made it a little brighter.

P.s. For those asking me about adding pocketsquares. I just ordered some. However, I would love your input on what "basics" to get. I ordered a white linen and navy pindot.
    Have a good day gentlemen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details and outerwear shot

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.