• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Come to NYC when it is windy, so cold you can't think and walk a half a mile then come back here.

Unless the city is significantly colder than central NJ, which it isn't, I don't think the difference between mid-calf and knee length is that much. I'd be willing to have cold calves to not look like an old dude... No offense to any old dudes.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Unless the city is significantly colder than central NJ, which it isn't, I don't think the difference between mid-calf and knee length is that much. I'd be willing to have cold calves to not look like an old dude... No offense to any old dudes.

You would be surprised the difference in wind whipping around the block and being sustained in cold weather for a long while. Walking to your car isn't the same. Plus short coats just don't look good. They look like immature.

Artigas

Reaction score
I'm with patrickBOOTH on this one... plus the longer coat looks more elegant and concurrent with Crusty's style, IMO.

What I really hate is raincoats that don't go past the knee. Obviously, not actually meant to be worn in the rain. Very conducive to wet legs (especially on a bicycle) and water running down into your rain boots. Ask me how I know.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm with patrickBOOTH on this one... plus the longer coat looks more elegant and concurrent with Crusty's style, IMO.
What I really hate is raincoats that don't go past the knee. Obviously, not actually meant to be worn in the rain. Very conducive to wet legs (especially on a bicycle) and water running down into your rain boots. Ask me how I know.

I think they look good on Crusty but for someone that is shorter and younger it would look like they were wearing their father's coat.

Last edited:

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
2cdwygo.jpg

25hh82q.jpg

2hzgy1y.jpg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record, I'm not that tall (5' 10"), but I do believe that I qualify as an old dude (I turn 57 later this year), and thus believe myself exempt from needing my coats to be shorter, and I like my overcoats to cover my knees when standing (where along the mid-calf the hem hits can vary by maker, but not too close to my ankles).

Glad that the look works for me, in most of your collective estimations :).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

For the record, I'm not that tall (5' 10"), but I do believe that I qualify as an old dude (I turn 57 later this year), and thus believe myself exempt from needing my coats to be shorter, and I like my overcoats to cover my knees when standing (where along the mid-calf the hem hits can vary by maker, but not too close to my ankles).
Glad that the look works for me, in most of your collective estimations :).

Mine is about mid-calf, maybe a touch shorter. I'm 26 and 6' 2" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics