• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The fit of the pants seems a bit wonky, and maybe the jacket a little short. Darker brown suede would look better with this, IMO. Overall, though, I think this is a bit much for the stated occasion. I suggest leaving the vest at home.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My first post in this side of WAYWRN - I've got a presentation coming up for my Senior Seminar course, and I want to make the effort to stand out from the horde of engineering students wearing shirt and tie who look like they've forgotten to bring their jacket. I don't often have the opportunity to wear suits, though I certainly enjoy making the effort when I can - as a result I don't necessarily have the critical eye that most here possess, and I need a lot of help with the simple things - basic fit, matching, and so on. Here are my notes on the fit:

1. If I button the jacket, I look like I'm fat - I don't know whether it's because of the flannel jacket over the flannel waistcoat over the thick grenadine or because of the tailoring of the jacket, but at 6'2" and 155 pounds I'm certainly not as corpulent as the clothes make me look. (Same sort of thing is going on with my legs I think, and I'm not sure why - maybe I'm secretly overweight and I just haven't noticed.) Is going unbuttoned like I've done OK?

2. I really need to work on folding pocket squares.

3. I know that a lot of the things I'm wearing - french cuff shirt (though the links aren't really visible in any of the shots), three piece suit, dub monks - are sort of unorthodox and may come off as affectations, especially on a mid-twenties engineering student, but I enjoy making the extra effort. Of course, if it comes off as costumey and I'm not realizing it...
shog%5B1%5D.gif

Any feedback on anything - even basics like "does it fit" - would be much appreciated. I want to make the effort to look good, but I'm certainly still working on developing a sense for all the aspects of style!

(aping those who came before me, haha)

It looks very good for presentation, I would keep it as it is.

Make sure your work is good

I think everything fits, but need a bit of work on the tie

the suit doesn't fit well in my opinion, but you will have time to learn

P.s. I am in your age, I always wear three piece to internships and presentation, no worry BRO

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My first post in this side of WAYWRN - I've got a presentation coming up for my Senior Seminar course, and I want to make the effort to stand out from the horde of engineering students wearing shirt and tie who look like they've forgotten to bring their jacket. I don't often have the opportunity to wear suits, though I certainly enjoy making the effort when I can - as a result I don't necessarily have the critical eye that most here possess, and I need a lot of help with the simple things - basic fit, matching, and so on. Here are my notes on the fit:

I am not that much older than you I am guessing, so I can relate to your issue of wanting to dress nicely and not having much experience to utilize I would suggest you go for a solid worsted or flannel and maybe leave the pinstripe at home. I think a young professional in a business setting could wear this, and, in my career (psychologist), I have a bit of leeway as most of my colleagues wear the shirt and tie thing, but a student wearing this to a presentation may be a bit too "much." As far as the fit of this goes, I think it looks good, though I am guessing you may have had the pants tapered? They look a bit wonky as SB suggests. The shoulder seem ok. Also, as I have recently learned, the clothes should frame your body, not mold to it. If you feel like it is making you feel "fat" which, btw, I dont think you are in the slightest, then the jacket may be too tight or too tapered in the waist. Also, I do believe it is fine to wear the jacket unbuttoned with the waistcoat, but I would not wear it is as suggested by SB above. You def. want to look professional, but, I would not suggest looking like you are trying too hard to show up the other students who wear shirts and ties. One can stand out with being out of step.

That being said, I think it is great you are caring about your dress and appearance. I can also appreciate limited budgets and the like, because I am at the same spot myself.

Last edited:

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
orig.jpg

Busy week. No time to post.

standard.jpg

Suit: Mystery bespoke tailor in E. Zegna Fabric no. 1 Centenary Edition
Shirt: Mystery Neapolitan shirt maker
Tie: Attolini
PS: E. Zegna
Socks: Muji
Belt: A. testoni
Shoes: Roberto Ugolini bespoke

standard.jpg

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^^Agreed. The suit just seems, well I'm not sure the right word for it, but I'm going to go with "billowy". I like the shoes, but I like tan navy combo's. What I don't like is the chocolate tie with the tan shoes. Looks weird.

Last edited:

Oxfords247

Reaction score
All four ensembles display imagination and a sense of daring to push the limits. While I like all of them, it is the picture on the lower left that captures my attention. The counterpoint between the tie pattern, the shirt, and that brilliant pocket square create a striking appearance.

Agreed!

Oxfords247

Reaction score
The jacket is great but I am feeling the pants. Too similar in colour to the jacket. :)

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Others have made some excellent suggestions about tidying up the fit of this suit--most notably the trousers. Find a good tailor, and allow that person to perform magic on this suit to transform it into a better fit. Assuming you live in a college town, tell the tailor the purpose of this suit. He, or she, might do an extra fine job of tailoring and give you a "clergyman's discount". I would add that the brown tie is not a good choice. Maybe a solid, dark wine red color? Something conservative and subtle. The shoes should be plain, black, and shined.

As for the appropriateness of wearing such a suit, may I share an experience that I had a few months ago? I was invited as a guest consultant to sit in on some oral doctoral dissertations at a local university. All the candidates were dressed nicely. The room was hot, and the members of the panel were finding it difficult to stay focused. The next to last candidate entered the room; he was dressed in a natty three piece dark charcoal suit. He donned a clean white shirt with a crisp blue tie and shoes that were shined to perfection. Immediately, his appearance and presence got the attention of the panel. His presentation, while good and interesting, was not the best of the group of candidates. But, he was the one who was most talked about afterwards. The members of the panel were impressed by the fact that he took the trouble to dress his best for the presentation. Everyone felt he showed the most confidence and enthusiasm.

If you can get this suit to a better fit and if you feel that you are truly "yourself" wearing it, then go for it. Clothes can bring out the best of your personality. Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads