HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

The fit of the pants seems a bit wonky, and maybe the jacket a little short. Darker brown suede would look better with this, IMO. Overall, though, I think this is a bit much for the stated occasion. I suggest leaving the vest at home.

2. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

It looks very good for presentation, I would keep it as it is.

Make sure your work is good

I think everything fits, but need a bit of work on the tie

the suit doesn't fit well in my opinion, but you will have time to learn

P.s. I am in your age, I always wear three piece to internships and presentation, no worry BRO

3. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

I am not that much older than you I am guessing, so I can relate to your issue of wanting to dress nicely and not having much experience to utilize I would suggest you go for a solid worsted or flannel and maybe leave the pinstripe at home. I think a young professional in a business setting could wear this, and, in my career (psychologist), I have a bit of leeway as most of my colleagues wear the shirt and tie thing, but a student wearing this to a presentation may be a bit too "much." As far as the fit of this goes, I think it looks good, though I am guessing you may have had the pants tapered? They look a bit wonky as SB suggests. The shoulder seem ok. Also, as I have recently learned, the clothes should frame your body, not mold to it. If you feel like it is making you feel "fat" which, btw, I dont think you are in the slightest, then the jacket may be too tight or too tapered in the waist. Also, I do believe it is fine to wear the jacket unbuttoned with the waistcoat, but I would not wear it is as suggested by SB above. You def. want to look professional, but, I would not suggest looking like you are trying too hard to show up the other students who wear shirts and ties. One can stand out with being out of step.

That being said, I think it is great you are caring about your dress and appearance. I can also appreciate limited budgets and the like, because I am at the same spot myself.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

4. gazman70k

gazman70k Senior member

Beijing | Hong Kong | Manila | Shanghai | Singapor
    [​IMG]

Busy week. No time to post.

[​IMG]

Suit: Mystery bespoke tailor in E. Zegna Fabric no. 1 Centenary Edition
    Shirt: Mystery Neapolitan shirt maker
    Tie: Attolini
    PS: E. Zegna
    Socks: Muji
    Belt: A. testoni
    Shoes: Roberto Ugolini bespoke

[​IMG]

5. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

6. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

acridsheep, you're getting way better at those memes!

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

^^Agreed. The suit just seems, well I'm not sure the right word for it, but I'm going to go with "billowy". I like the shoes, but I like tan navy combo's. What I don't like is the chocolate tie with the tan shoes. Looks weird.

8. Oxfords247

Oxfords247 Member

Agreed!

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I hate this with the fire of a thousand sun's.

10. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

It is you who have become better at seeing, grasshopper.

11. Oxfords247

Oxfords247 Member

The jacket is great but I am feeling the pants. Too similar in colour to the jacket. :)

12. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

^

13. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Others have made some excellent suggestions about tidying up the fit of this suit--most notably the trousers. Find a good tailor, and allow that person to perform magic on this suit to transform it into a better fit. Assuming you live in a college town, tell the tailor the purpose of this suit. He, or she, might do an extra fine job of tailoring and give you a "clergyman's discount". I would add that the brown tie is not a good choice. Maybe a solid, dark wine red color? Something conservative and subtle. The shoes should be plain, black, and shined.

As for the appropriateness of wearing such a suit, may I share an experience that I had a few months ago? I was invited as a guest consultant to sit in on some oral doctoral dissertations at a local university. All the candidates were dressed nicely. The room was hot, and the members of the panel were finding it difficult to stay focused. The next to last candidate entered the room; he was dressed in a natty three piece dark charcoal suit. He donned a clean white shirt with a crisp blue tie and shoes that were shined to perfection. Immediately, his appearance and presence got the attention of the panel. His presentation, while good and interesting, was not the best of the group of candidates. But, he was the one who was most talked about afterwards. The members of the panel were impressed by the fact that he took the trouble to dress his best for the presentation. Everyone felt he showed the most confidence and enthusiasm.

If you can get this suit to a better fit and if you feel that you are truly "yourself" wearing it, then go for it. Clothes can bring out the best of your personality. Good luck.

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

But it's so precious!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.