HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I enjoy them very much - but for their purpose. I rarely wear them as they need a certain aesthetic, but do prefer a sleeker last, as is known. So, I suppose you are right.

2. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Show a little respect.

3. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

It's not disrespectful. Just a caveat that the man doesn't appear to be playing with a full deck.

4. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

This was certainly an intelligent statement.

Why don't you wax eloquent about the merits of Allen Edmond, if you really have any facts or helpful opinions as to why AE should be considered the crème de la crème.

5. Alexander

Alexander Senior member

are you the same resentful soldier who was complaining about JMasa Epaulets?

6. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Borderline HOF/MC

I'm really hoping this looks okay. Meeting with a potential source of grad school funding tomorrow. I'd be wearing something better for scarf/hat but I don't own any fur felt fedoras and I don't own any of the tamer versions of those silk scarves crusty is always wearing. God I wish I did. My wardrobe SUCKS.

BTW, I decided on the black shoe. Don't worry. Excuse the deer in headlights stare. I left the house at seven AM and got back an hour ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

I am watching The Petrified Forest now and enjoying a bottle (or two) of wine, but wanted to stop by to say that this does not look good.

I will explain in about 86 minutes.

8. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

Don't wear a hat. And, if you can help it, don't wear anything else in those pics either, with the exception of perhaps the pants/black shoes. You're trying too hard. We've all been there. Before I became the icon of 21st century style we've all come to love, I also tried too hard. Though, in fairness my progression took just shy of 9 seconds. But I digress. If you have a simple navy or charcoal suit that fits well, go with that.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

9. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

well shit.

Right now? I dont. I have a highly textured navy suit that is honestly a bit shit. I have a glen plaid steel grey with burgundy overcheck that doesn't match any shirt I own. and I have about three dress shirts that aren't MORE than 6 inches too wide around the midriff (the rest are still too wide.

suggestions?

also, I'll be freezing my balls off if i don't wear that coat. Its ugly as shit and a bit ratty in spots, but its the closest thing I own to something that fits.

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

FOR FUCKS SAKE.

11. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

:lol:

12. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

Cool!

13. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

how the hell did i miss this! my fav post of yours by far CP!​

14. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Liam,

I understand it must be cold where you are. If that's the case, then a coat, hat, gloves, and scarf are part and parcel of what one takes when leaving the house. Like your keys. Therefore I will not address them at this time.

Your basic colors - grey trousers, navy jacket, red tie - are not bad in and of themselves. In fact, they are a good choice; they are innocuous, traditional. However, a hard 6-to-1 navy jacket is typically worn as either part of a suit, or a casual blazer. Yours is quite obviously a part of a suit, and looks out of place. You might see the word "orphaned" thrown about here; this is one of those instances.

A basic single-breasted navy sport coat (or blazer) is easy to come by. Thrift stores are full of them. Any of them will look better than what you are wearing in this picture. The sleeves are too short as well.

The brown shoes are quite light and go with nothing. You chose well with the black.

Your tie is classic 80s; try to be classic in a timeless sort of way and look for a solid grenadine or a neat tie with a smaller pattern.

Good luck. I hope you get your funding.

15. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

+1 I own a pair of AE Strands, and I neither love them nor hate them. They're slightly less comfortable than all the other shoes I own in that price range (To Boot NY and Johnston & Murphy), and although the Strands may be better constructed than those other brands, I don't see any evidence of it yet.

The Strands are certainly blobby and clunky compared to my C&J Westbournes, but that doesn't seem like a fair comparison. Those two brands aren't in the same market niche, and those two models do not serve the same purpose. Unfortunately, my Westbournes are no more comfortable than my Strands. And that makes me sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.