Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

+1. Definitely a Winter War getup.

2. Blackunderpants

Blackunderpants Well-Known Member

Haha, who is that guy?
    Cool look [​IMG]

3. deandbn

deandbn Senior member

Excellent no Beautiful outfit.

I do not like the PS colour, blue, red, or white would be better but that is a personal opinion.

4. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

It'd be a shame. Its a very nice coat. I just think you need to balance it out with a bit of color and distinctly non-military clothing. Maybe more colorful pants, corduroy or something.

Then again I suck at casual.

5. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I'm going to go ahead and say that that coat looks like a costume piece. As a Soldier, I think it looks really stupid when people wear items clearly associated with the military that haven' been diluted by ubiquity. It just looks like dressing up to me and is similarly as ridiculous as someone outside the medical world wearing scrubs.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

6. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

While I get your sentiment, I think military inspired details have long been a part of the sartorial sphere, which i think gives them a pass. I do understand how it can be seen as a right, earned by those who served, but I think that ship has sailed in terms of its acceptance

7. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I agree but I exempted a lot of things that have been diluted by ubiquity: denim, cargo pockets, camp collars, peacoats, trench coats, jump boots etc. The coat Jmasa is wearing looks like a straight up uniform item. It's the striped epaulets that bother me the most, without those it would just look like a militaryish topcoat.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

With all of the current social problems the world faces you are crying over epaulets.

9. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

What does this have to do with anything? I don't like the kid's coat and have a somewhat unique reason for feeling that way and decided to share it. There's no crying here...

10. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Quote:
    So? In addition to the inspiration of military uniform refered to by NYR (without which, BTW, we would have very few Savile Row tailors at all), military clothing has long taken inspiration from civilian items or adapted them - indeed the greatcoat is one such item. This interplay has long complicated any clear distinction. Secondly, militaries all over the world have also long made plenty of money selling surplus equipment so it's rather ridiculous to insist that people shouldn't wear them. And finally, I have no problem in people wearing military clothes subversively, to deliberately demilitarize them by combining them with non-military items and wearing them in a non-military context. That last point is a question of culture - in many countries there simply isn't the celebration / fetishization of the military that exists in the USA - and of course personal politics - on which we would no doubt disagree - but the other points can't really be denied.

I think this example looks fantastic and I beg JMasa to keep the buttons!

11. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

+1. It looks like pants are sitting very low on the hips and were not meant to be worn that way... but the pockets are flaring as well, which makes me think the pants are a bit too tight and can't go any higher. The suit itself is lovely, though!

12. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wearing the hell out of my tweed stuff as long as the weather allows it (it's been the coldest week in Sweden this winter).

[​IMG]

Same bow tie as last time, in a new combo
    [​IMG]

Fabrics et c.
    [​IMG]

Beat shoes that somehow seemed appropriate for the mix of ruff fabrics/patterns
    [​IMG]

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

We know him here affectionately as "Blanket Kid."

14. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for the comments guys...yes the suit was made when I was 20 pounds lighter 4 years ago. the jacket has been let out but the pants haven't, and I have put on a few pounds in my ass and thighs as well as upper body which would cause the pants to be a bit wonky...I guess I'll have to suck it up and get them let out a bit...:)

15. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

The sweet spot waist let out on SF now is 5cm.

This number has been established in various threads, at also at high cost, so it's worth remembering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.