HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

That looks pretty good from what I can see... Better deal than the BB, and does it fit better? Hard to tell from the photo.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Great look, your girl is :inlove:, and you remind me of the lead singer for Muse. That is all. :)

Classic and timeless, like your music. Nice, CP.

3. EBugatti

EBugatti Senior member

Nice shirt! Maker?

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Both entirely possible.

5. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

fits better than the BB milano
    the jacket and pants just drape so beautifully...
    but it also costs more than 2x even on sale
    so the search continues

6. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

thanks for this. I noticed this as well, I thought it was just the shoulder size, then I just tried my jacket on again and notice the rolls. I had this on another polo jacket and they fixed it fine for me. Will take it to my tailor this week,. Thanks for pointing it out. The pants, imo, fit me the best of any suit trousers I have and they drape very nicely with only the slightest break.

7. chogall

chogall Senior member

Pants break is only about length but little related to fit. How they sit on your waist, how they fit around your behinds, how they drape around your thigh, etc are more important than length.

e.g., I don't have a perky ass so most lower raise pants tend to have too much fabrics around the seat, resulting in a sloppy pile around the thigh and a pulling around my calf.

8. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

Methinks thee likes the hunt too much.

[​IMG]

"I'll follow bargains around the Horn, and around the Norway maelstrom, and around perdition's flames before I give them up." - Ahab.

9. LondonGemini

LondonGemini New Member

Hi
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have been lurking on here for a couple of weeks and I am so impressed at the style shown by the members here. Unfortunately I don’t have much call to wear a suit on a day to day basis but I have been invited to a wedding so today I went shopping. I would really value your opinion on these 2 suits. Both are a mohair and wool mix. One is a nice blue and one is purple. I am not too sure of the purple one. On one hand, I do like it but on the other hand, it’s slightly reminiscent of the Joker. Ahem!
    Please excuse the poor pictures as they were done in a hurry.

Thanks

Ed

10. black_umbrella

purple..... If this is your only suit, you should really stick to navy and grey. Also, you have some collar gaping going on in both jackets around your neck. I'd look around some more to find a suitcoat that did do that.

11. LondonGemini

LondonGemini New Member

Hi
    Thanks. I have a grey one and a navy one for formal occasions but I was looking for something suitable for a wedding. Also, I didn’t notice the collar gaping! I should look harder.
    I guess the purple one is going back then!

12. black_umbrella

^ A wedding is not a formal occasion?

13. LondonGemini

LondonGemini New Member

Well yes, but the couple are quite young and unconventional so it’s not going to be a traditional one hence something a bit more colourful!

14. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Much has been said regarding this look but there are other considerations. Spoo, sorry to say this but this is a pretty "Blah" jacket on you. It's blah because it lacks shape and the shapes that do appear are counter to your attributes. Because the lines of the jacket are counter to your body type there is this division of opinions as to the cause and the way it should be altered. The jacket could retain it's identity and be more flattering by creating shape in the torso without suppression by pinching the front dart and taking a bit of shape at the front/side body seam. Doing the same shaping on the canvass. This would create a waist line, which is missing and add some shape to the chest. The front edges look like they are being pulled together to meet and is just bordering on making the lapels bow out on the chest. It's also causing the lower front edges to curl up which emphasizes the tension on the fronts at the button. I would shape the jacket and then add to the front edge to make the fronts meet naturally. The girth from center front to center back would measure the same or even bigger but you would gain some expression that would define the waist and give a good shape to the chest. All this would give a more robust look to the jacket without being over fitted. Shaping is different from suppressing and more an attribute of custom/bench work. Not so easy to do in RTW where everything has to be standardized.

Should the shoulder be wider? NO. If you watch the break line of the lapel and the line of the sleeve sewn along the front armhole they are somewhat parallel. Like this //. The closer in parallel these are the more balanced the proportion. Once the shoulder seam gets wider or narrower from the break line the proportion is thrown off. Shoulder will look too wide or too skimpy or the chest looks too large are too small.

Biggest offense here are narrow lapels and the convex shape to the shoulder. The rounded shape of the shoulder line and the lack of shape in the torso makes you look rounded and sort of a softee all over. Lapels are just a tad narrow. I'll be glad when the narrow lapel trend ends. There can be a classicism appeal of narrow lapels and and trim trouser legs but the problem with the modern interpretation of this look is "this is hip" wear it. You have to have the build/body type to carry it off in a flattering way.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

15. black_umbrella

To impose on you a bit, when you said the following:

I interpreted that to mean that the two lines I drew on spoo here should be close (ish) to parallel. That right?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.