1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

If I was to be exceptionally arch, I'd point out that the debate ended up being more about defining identity & the meaning of personal preference rather than about marriage itself, and that understanding why you prefer something is far more potent a learning experience towards developing a personal style than simply looking at pretty (or not) pictures. In other words, it might help you decide why you find that skinny navy suited french look you mentioned so appealing, which is much more important than just liking it.

But I think my shrink slip is now showing a little too much, so I won't sail such waters and instead return the thread to the safer harbours of more amateur clothes photography. [​IMG]

2. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

What have I done?!

And to think, all it took was a reference to DELICIOUS CAKE POPS made by MY WIFE.

Seriously, guys, they were delicious. PB, I recommend you get a wife asap to bake these for you on your birthday. I think she found the recipe on Pinterest.

[​IMG]

3. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

My wife said I look nice today.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9 people like this.
  4. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

She said that before you put that tie on ?

1 person likes this.
  5. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Them are some mighty fine lookin' shoes you got there Mister. What be they?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't need to marry my girlfriend for her to make me great food. Then again in two weeks when it is my birthday she is going to be in Cambodia.

7. Pluripotent

Pluripotent Well-Known Member

Fixed your post.

2 people like this.
  8. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

Monogamy and coupledom don't have to equal marriage. Marriage, in fact, has ruined many a good relationship.

Then I withdraw my thumb. Take that as you will. :D

9. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

I really like this outfit, especially the tie. nobody else who could wear this tie besides oldog comes to mind, though.

I myself would have opted for darker shoes.

10. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

Guys - I really appreciate all the comments and feedback! let's me know if/when I'm on track on the changes I've made.

Sun's in and out of the clouds today =/ lighting's all messed up.

Robopose:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suit: RLPL
    Shirt: Borrelli
    Tie: Zegna Couture
    Shoes: GG
    PS: TF

@pB - I don't think it's the sleeves...it gets pretty tight already when I cross my arms. I have a feeling it's your initial hunch on a shorter jacket + moving the buttoning point and pockets up about an inch with a little bit more of waist suppression in the front.

EDIT:
    Robopose of the suit prior to alteration:

Mind you, this is already a 38S

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

The missus and I celebrate our tenth anniversary this week, and we spent the weekend sans sprogs on Tomales Bay. I came across this tribute to o/o and Mrs. o/o in a shop in Point Reyes Station:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

PB was talking about something being amiss yesterday and it was driving me crazy, but this is what I think I'm seeing:

You seem to have a slightly dropped right shoulder. The sleeve head pitch is also pretty far off on your right arm (slightly off on your left, but not that bad). This creates a pull and pucker at the armpit. You can see the wrinkles and divot in your armpit much more clearly in the "before" picture. The alterations helped, but I fear the pitch of the sleeve head is just not suited to you and is making for a slightly awkward silhouette that throws off the symmetry and balance of the jacket.

All and all I don't think it's a big deal and think you look good, but I had to put my hypothesis out there.

1 person likes this.
  13. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Thanks, all, for the many comments, today. In reply to ianGP , who wrote, "Yessur! Rockin' that DB! PS deets?", the answer is an old Polo Churchill dot pocket square.

14. oldog/oldtrix

But then they wouldn't have matched my glasses:

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. Romain

Romain Senior member

Well, this is what I've been fighting against here (except for the polished brown shoes :teach: ) :

[​IMG]

16. oldog/oldtrix

Damn if it ain't:

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. Sonny58

Sonny58 Senior member

Thanks to those of you who commented (in the thumbs-up section), I really appreciate it! Citan, I am not sure about the jacket. It is a light weight fabric so it wrinkles easily and may give the impression of being loose fitting but I'm not sure it actually is. That said, it may be due for an adjustment. Will take under advisement comments on the collar and pocket square. I can certainly see the concern there.

The shoes are Ralph Lauren Marlow wingtips made by Crockett & Jones. They are clunky and not necessarily to everyone's taste. Thanks for taking the time to comment and wanted to say that your first posting of an outfit is very nice indeed. Hope to see more from you in the future.

18. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

So yeah about clothing.
    I will just say that I go to this forum for advice, inspiration, and entertainment. It would be 10x, nay 100x less interesting if this forum consisted of only pictures and critique and thumbs up. You come for the advice and criticism but you stay for the people, the personalities, and the entertainment. Part of style is reflecting who you are (omg identity, psychology, off topic!) and I believe this forum would be ghastly dull if we did not discuss life sometimes...

Also, I appreciate your comments Clovis and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I doubt that all of PAris or all French people dress the same. I think you assume we all want to be perfect. Honestly, I just want my garments to fit decently and I will work out the rest. Some people like to be more polished. Others prefer to be more sloppy. It is all quite personal. I dont really see a need to espouse one as better than the other.

Anyway, first time I am showing my face...new sunglasses and I am sufficiently hidden. Hair is long, getting it cut soon. My girlfriend likes it somewhat shaggy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  19. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

Worse pics than usual today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  20. Clovis Sangrail

Clovis Sangrail Well-Known Member

@Citan1145

I completely agree that the personalities make the site.

Apropos your later points.

First, sometimes it is magnificent to dress perfectly. To dress up, so to speak.

Second, and abusing the license to digress onto other topics which you have extended...

it is actually surprising how homogenous a lot of the dressing is here for men and women, a more limited clothing palette, more formal, more dark colours, slimmer. Irrespective of that, there is a certain sang-froid that Parisiens, both men and woman have, that is more important than clothes, they have basically mastered the art of putting a lot of thought into their outfits without looking as if they have given it a minute's thought - and part of this is dressing to pattern because to stray to far outside that pattern would be to show that you were trying to hard and had thought about it too much.

Furthermore, unlike people in the USA and Australia, they embrace and carry-off imperfection beautifully. Charlotte Gainsbourg, who is one of the present ingenues of French cinema, nearly ran into the back of me on her razor scooter the other day. As she apologised, I was able to view her up close, and whilst beautiful, her beauty is not the airbrushed beauty of fake-tan, flawless teeth, completely perfect hair and clothes of a Californian sorority girl or a lot of Hollywood actresses. Basically, most of the beautiful women here all look as though they have something interesting to say, rather than just being pretty clothes horses - Laetitia Casta, Vanessa Paradis, Sarkozy's wife etc, have imperfections which they don't bother to fix because looking perfect looks really insecure.

I am happy to throw it open to the floor, but some imperfection appears necessary in order to look truly stylish, otherwise it is very hard not to look contrived (a large part of the reason I really don't like pocket squares for everyday dress - only someone who has really thought about their outfit wears a pocket square). That is why I am less concerned with slightly too long shirts cuffs etc. these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.