Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rothman polo coat
    Drake's scarf
    Borsalino fedora
    Oxxford suit
    Charvet shirt (blue minicheck, detail washed out in pic)
    Nicky cashmere tie
    PRL wool ps
    Albert Thurston braces
    Venanzi OTC socks
    Brooks English shoes

2. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Here's my take:
    I dislike this shirt/tie/suit combo. The shirt and suit are too similar in saturation. The grey is too mid and the blue too dark for one another. Would look much better with a solid white shirt, or a navy blue suit. The check on the shirt is too small and informal for a suit.

I greatly dislike the tie's color as well - too copper for my tastes - and it doesn't really work with this combo at all. Again, that's a matter of personal taste.

The fit looks quite good.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

3. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

no one,

Since you're asking directly for opinions/feedback/criticism, I'll give you mine without sugarcoating anything:

The shirt is an ugly shade of blue, and I'm put off by the color scheme on the whole. I also don't personally like links with most checked shirts. I'm not sure if the color is skewing my opinion of the check, or if I'd dislike the fabric in just about any colorway. I'm leaning toward the latter. Not crazy about the tie either, though that may have more to do with it being paired with the shirt. And while I really like them in theory and in old pictures, I find most single breasted, peak-lapeled three pieces come off too costumey--especially with the hat and other accoutrements you have going. But as others have mentioned, that seems like what you're aiming for, so take my opinion fwiw on all related matters. I just have a hard time imagining a context where a getup like this wouldn't seem like you were trying way too hard.

On a positive note, the suit seems to fit reasonably well--at least as far as can be judged by the photos--and that's no small thing, on SF and in the wild. It's also perhaps the more objective measure involved, whereas things like color and styling are judged predominantly by taste.

Maybe if you said more about where you wore this or what kind of feedback you're wanting, you'd get the responses you're looking for.

4. NickPollica

NickPollica Senior member Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Faded brown and emerald.

5. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

As indicated by the bold text in the quote above, you are sending some pretty mixed signals, indeed. If you're really "not seeking a critique," then don't get pissy when you don't get one. If you'd like a critique, ask for exactly what you want and I guarantee that you will not be denied. I do it all the time. If, for instance, I say something like, "I know the jacket doesn't fit, but how well are these colors working together?" I'll get several helpful responses, and, as a bonus, sugarbutch will tell me that my jacket doesn't fit. :happy:

Lighten up and ask for what you want. We are not stingy with opinions around here.

6. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I like it. Very nice.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Bit smarter than usual for a Sunday as a couple of old friends & I all met up together for the first time in many, many years. Had a great time. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. no one

no one Active Member

That is a coincidence. I merely wish to complete my look. My preferences are not merely based on tradition. During the limited opportunities I have for wearing a suit and tie, I only occasionally wear a fedora and a pocket watch, while the knot on my rever can barely be considered appropriate for galas and proms (a carnation might do the trick). I do not care for several other classic elements of dress. I will probably never be seen wearing pointed collars -classic or modern-, shirts with double cuffs, 4x1 double breasted coats, blazers -in every sense of the word- etc.

I see the point about shirt and suit saturation, although I fail to see why this is a problem. The check is too small? Well, many shirts with mirochecks have been posted, worn with suits of course, so, once again, I fail to see the issue. In any case, I do not even understand how it is even possible for a shirt to have checks so small that it is not to be worn with suits. The tie probably stands out more than I had noted in person, so I agree that it may not work in this context. To some extend, this has to do with the debate whether orange ties are better suited to blue or white shirts. I believe that most of the points are based on (very obviously) different taste. I would hope the shirt and suit fit very well, both are bespoke.

I will use the old argument about the shirt color not coming off very well in the pictures. It is actually a rather dark blue Acorn shirting which looks lighter under direct light. I do not like step revers, and will only use them with sportier fabrics, such as linen and tweed. I come from a hat wearing family, so I always wear a hat (a cap when dressed more informally). I wore this to family luncheon on New Years Day, joined by other suited family members. As I said, the suit and shirt are bespoke, so I cetainly hope they fit more than reasonably well, though I have seen my fair share of bad bespoke, both on myself and on others.

I wonder what you think of this outfit, from Gay Talese: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Gay_Talese_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

The photograph comes from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Talese).

I am clarifying that I do not seek a critique because I understand this is not the purpose of this thread. While I would certainly like one, a simple "this is good" or "this is bad" is all I can really ask for. There are specialized threads for more extensive reviews. When someone is kind enough to review my outfit, I appreciate it and I take it into account. However, I do not ask for it, because I do not wish to derail this thread, and because, really, I am no one.

9. D.B.Cooper

D.B.Cooper Senior member

I wore this to church this morning. I'm trying to get more comfortable with color mixing and matching and decided to give the gray jacket/brown cords a try. Hit or miss?

[​IMG]

Jacket: Oxxford cashmere
    Shirt: Daniel Cremieux
    Square: Robert Talbott
    Sweater: Bloomingdale's cashmere
    Trousers: J Crew
    Shoes: AE Hancock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I look forward to more of your posts.

11. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

I think Talese looks like an eccentric, which of course he is. In abstraction, I don't like the clothes he's wearing (goofy lapels, bad color choices, and other poor styling cues), but I bracket all of that because, in a way that's difficult to pin down, he manages to pass that proverbial test: "the man should wear the clothes rather than the clothes wear the man." If you have the gravitas to pull such a look off, more power to you. Some of my favorite posters are Barims and Label King, who each wear clothes I'd find ridiculous on 99.9% of the people here, but they manage to own it in a way that's uniquely theirs. In your photos, this simply doesn't come across.

12. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

13. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

You can help your cause by posting your pic again after being off for several days - or should we have to sort through dozens to find it?

14. no one

no one Active Member

A fine point. Talese has an old world gravitas which is usually apparent not though photographs but through videos. In my case, not even a face is visible; it would be imposible for anything to come across. Of course, I am graced by neither Mr. Talese's gravitas nor by his age.

I do not seek to defend myself, merely to explain my choices, successfull or not. Here are the outfit pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

I'm not very qualified to judge, but as someone that is just getting comfortable with simple fits myself, this looks great to me. I would be very happy to look this well put together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.