HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

TKE, man, you really need a haircut. The way it points out at the sides looks really weird.

2. Anden

Anden Senior member

Great mix of patterns. Love it!

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

A defensible position, but, for me, not a universal one. Check out some recent gdl203 & C&A posts in the CBD thread for examples of a well dressed man sans hanky:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/230619/cbd-waywrn-an-experiment/5400_50#post_5078528
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/230619/cbd-waywrn-an-experiment/5400_50#post_5078026
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/230619/cbd-waywrn-an-experiment/5350_50#post_5045940
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/230619/cbd-waywrn-an-experiment/5350_50#post_5048598

Please bear in mind that I wear a PS just about every time I wear a jacket.

4. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Part of my new year's plan is to post some fits here. I need to up my photo skills - which will take some experimenting.

Hope you will bear with my first effort in a long time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jacket - Billy Reid (via Spoo)
    Shirt - Brooks Brothers
    Tie - Capelli
    Square - Santorelli
    Trou - Armani
    Socks - Pantherella
    Shoes - C&J

5. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

I can't decide if this is incredibly awesome or hmmmm.

I want to go with incredibly awesome because this is perfect white tie (I assume that you're about to head out with an overcoat, or about to take your topper off having arrived...right?) So, bravo. It is very elegant.

You now live in America, correct? Tell us about the occasion for which you are duded up. I'm hoping that you're going to an event where all the other guys are in white tie or formal military dress.

I ask because it touches on some topics that are interesting (well, at least to me.)

6. landshark

landshark Senior member

I agree. Your clothes are getting better, but you need a haircut or hat.

7. sugarbutch

You posted in Foo's white/black tie thread about the lack of appropriate occasion for formal dress and made a point (paraphrasing, here) that it's essentially ungracious to show up wearing a dinner jacket where most men would be wearing lounge suits. I missed the chance in that thread, but since you bring it up here, I wanted to ask whether you think that the lowest level of formality should prevail and preclude others from wearing what might otherwise be appropriate. Given that dress codes (implied or explicit) and adherence to them vary so widely, it seems likely that barring a private function, there's almost certainly going to be a number of men who will show up in relatively casual wear. Do we simply give up in the face of this? Establish our own societies for the wearing of dinner jackets?

8. Navi

Navi Senior member

That tie is amazing.

9. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

I wouldn't presume to have an answer for your question.

Either because of daily expectation (specific professions in specific locations, for example) or because of expectations related to an occasion (a job interview, a wedding, a black tie party, just to pick three common thread types on SF), coat and tie survives as a community standard of dress, albeit a standard in decline.

There do seem, however, to be a lot of Mens Clothing forum members on SF (and on other forums as well, as well as active in the larger ether) who wear tailored dress (or have adopted opinions of tailored dress) in defiance of their immediate social, professional, and familial environments. For many of these guys, coat and tie seems to be a mode to stand apart, or to stand out, or to visually lecture those whom they view as slobs. And of course, such slobs are assumed to have all manner of other attributes peculiar to the lazy and miscreant.

My curiosity about this far exceeds my settled opinion on it. So, don't expect any great insight from me.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If you think thats good, you should see my toothbrush holder.

11. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Pocket Square Ranking for Today, Top Ten from Best to Worst:

1. Soft, white cotton voile hanky stuffed in.

2. White linen or cotton hanky in a sloppy (did I say sloppy? I did?) edges-out plain fold.

3. No pocket square at all.

4. A madder or other matte silk square in a complex, irregular but muted pattern.

5. White linen hanky in SF-popular TV fold that looks like a blank index card that can slice a tomato or wreak yakuza discipline.

6. The Hermès number that you wore today without the word Hermès visible.

7. The Hermès number as you wore it today with the word Hermès visible.

8. Lining of breast pocket pullled out; lint here and there.

9. A banana, celery stalk, Nagrani Ovadafut sock, or compact bike tire pump.

10. Duchamp, Brioni, or Paul Frederick square, or Simpsons Bedsheet Hanky.

12. sugarbutch

If you refuse to make sweeping generalizations and universal pronouncements, you will never succeed at this internet thing.

You bring up an interesting point about standing out. I perceive a continuum which has at one end men who are dressing up in order to stand out and at the other men who happen to stand out as a side effect of their choice of attire.

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

If that is a continuum, it is a circular one unless we are talking about dummies.

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Have you any idea how long that took to fluff that way?

PS- I'm curious what you wore on NYE.

15. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I must point out that you blatently left out my infamous 'Hello Kitty' pocket square from the ugly pocket square contest. Should you wish to verify in person it's absolute stunning effect I will be happy to send it to you post haste. PM me with your address.

[​IMG]

As I just returned from the beach I'm also wondering where you might rank a sea shell as a pocket accessory. I almost wore one this morning for the amusement of all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.