HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

if the tie knot is too skimpy with a FIH, i go for a double FIH
    if a regular FIH makes a big enough knot, then i don't do a double FIH
    (sometimes it is impossible to do a proper double FIH because the knot just because massive and ends up looking like some kind of goiter)
    this mainly depends on 1. the tie material and thickness and 2. tie length - because that determines at what point i tie the knot

simple as that

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

2. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

I don't know man, looks like an awful lot of makeup she has going on in those pictures.

3. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

All of this may be true. A double FIH if not too bulky is largely indistinguishable from a single FIH but this does not take into account the version of the double FIH displayed on SF, which is the one that exposes the inner loop of the knot. I have never seen this ever anywhere in the real world, only on SF wherein it seems to be met with almost universal praise and thus this may be why the OP considers it SF approved. Personally I think it looks fucking shite, ridiculously affected, and my initial reaction until I learned it was the SF approved way to tie a tie was along the lines of 'look at the picture of that bloke. He has created an outfit of impressive colour, pattern and fit but he doesn't even know how to tie a tie properly'. This reaction is equally employed when I see exposed side-by-side tie blades, skinny blades longer than fat blades and other pitiful attempts at spazzatura that in reality just expose the wearer's desperation to be noticed when the clothes should speak for themselves without the need.

4. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Well, so much for the "niceman" in Ianiceman :nest:

5. CommenceFailure

CommenceFailure Well-Known Member

I totally get your point. I think it's hard for people stand out when you are talking about mens clothes. New people can't stand out with subtle, sophisticated touches and they have to revert to dumb fake sprezzatura stuff, like a monk strap undone or an undone surgeon cuff.

My only point is that this just a way tie your tie. It's not pretending to forget a button or buckle or not paying attention to your tie legnth. It's a choice someone makes for actual reasons that benefit how they look. I don't think they should be in the same category as super affected sprezz. It might be a little trendy on the forums, but lots of things were trendy because they were just good things, like the dinner jacket for instance.

The half a centimeter of the inner-loop on a double four-in-a-hand doesn't bother me, and I don't think people would notice unless they knew what to look for. Does it really stick out that much to you?

6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

This is what I was thinking of as well. I also have never seen it outside SF and I don't think it's a co-incidence that when Phat Guido starting using this knot the amount of them showing up on here skyrocketed along with everyones praise for it. Call it groupthink, or circle jerk or SF approved or whatever, it is what it is. And I'm not saying it's not ok to to follow these things or try them or whatever, especially for the guys starting out, just saying they aren't my cup of tea. He ties it quite well and is also pretty short, so probably has an excuse, but it's still this exposed loop version explained above.

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Sir, I believe the term of art to be "moose knuckle."

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Hey, Acecow -

Fuck you, man.

Love, Spoo

9. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

"Affected" is such a meaningless word. Anything that is done deliberately can be called affected. You wear a pocket square? That's affected. You use bar shoe lacing instead of criss-cross lacing? That's affected. Contrasting socks? Affected. Three-piece suit? Affected. Why can't you just say it's unattractive if that's what you think?

10. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

hey acecow,

why didn't you pixelate your face and instead let us appreciate your lady's looks... you selfish son of a bitch...

love ,
    angina

11. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

he's egging you on to post pics of mrs. spoo

12. greger

greger Senior member

Yes, well all have to catch a ride to the space station and watch the world come to an end.:happy:

13. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Because I wasn't saying it is unattractive, I was saying it affected (my opinion). The two words have completely different meanings.

Also not sure why you would find a 3 piece suit affected ?

14. Neofinitia

Neofinitia Senior member

[​IMG] Mele Kalikimaka, folks. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.