1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

^ I like this sweater - what label is it?

^ The last dozen posts have bashed the sleeves, and I don't much care for them either, but I have a serious question: was it a stylistic, intentional choice on your part?

@ianGP

I'm not sure exactly why, but you're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters in this thread. Keep it up.

2. cronicmole

cronicmole Senior member

:butbut:

3. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

?

[​IMG]

Just kidding !

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
    4 people like this.
  4. Regg

Regg Senior member

some good stuff in here, but way too many wide ties

5. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

you're a good candidate for single pleats... you need the extra fabric around the mid-section

6. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Cravate, not only would I wear that shirt, but I would win all my duels in it.

5 people like this.
  7. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

What would you consider a "wide" tie? I think ties that are really skinny look great with really really slim lapels but look anemic with standard lapels. I have a jcrew summer suit with razor thin lapels that I like for fwiw, but even then I wear 3 inch ties or bigger with it.

Thanks CD, it is a Jcrew wool/cashmere cable cardigan. I think the fit is great despite not being the world's greatest fabric. Good quality/cost ratio when caught on sale though.

8. wannabe

wannabe Senior member

Love the sockless look.
    Pure awesomeness man. The French blue shirt looks really great. Also, +1 for short guys like us! I can't believe you're 5'5, you definitely look taller. I'm 5'4. :nodding: Now, my humble contribution: [​IMG] [​IMG] ^Hopefully this picture captures the color, and it might show up on your monitor. It's a brown jacket with specs of orange/blue/green. The tie is also a very fine grenadine. Brown sportcoat (acquired from a friend). Orange David Chu shirt. Orange Club Room grenadine tie. White pocket square. Cream Dockers chinos. Brown Hanover captoes. Had my tailor recut the chest/waist, and shortened sleeves on the jacket. Also had the Dockers re-cut to fit me. Shirt was also taken in and sleeves shortened (not visible). I love spread collars. I finally managed to get my hands on a couple, and they work so much better than damn point collars. And yes, the buttoning point is high. My friend said he got this jacket 20+ years ago, so, eh.

2 people like this.
  9. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

He looks like a shrink size midget who had sex with a bull dog. :embar:

Just kidding man, I like his clothing.

10. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Did you intentionally have your shirt made like that?

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

My name is inigo Montoya. You kill my father. Prepare to die.

5 people like this.
  12. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

Would you say the look you're going for is more D'Artagnan or more Blackbeard?

13. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

I feel like the pants if too taper for you, the leg opening is very narrowed. I'd would go with more of a classy cut, the opening should cover 2/3 of your shoe. But plenty of other people choose otherwise, I guess it's my own preference. Something about the shirt/tie combo seems off to me, maybe it's the boldness of the stripe on your shirt, not sure. I do notice that the collar sits rather high, or you have a very short neck. I'd would suggest to try some slim collars. Why do you cut your body, and paste it onto a background for your fit pictures?

14. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I agree with others that your outfits look good in terms of color, composition, patterns, etc. As for the fit, the coats give the appearance that they have been altered for you. They look like a larger coat has been trimmed away to fit your build.

For instance, the length may now be "correct," but the proportions are off. The coat is shorter, but the pockets and buttons are now too low. If you reduce the length of a coat, the pockets and buttons have to come up in a similar proportion. This is something that you just can't do to an OTR coat. I also get the impression that you compromise on fitting either the shoulders or the chest/waist. When your shoulders fit, it looks like the coat has been taken in. When the chest/waist fit, the shoulders look too narrow. Alterations can only take you so far.

I'd be curious to see the results of bespoke or quality MTM for you.

2 people like this.
  15. wannabe

wannabe Senior member

Yeah, the slim taper leg is of my own doing. I did not know about the 2/3 rule, that's a helluva lot of shoe to cover.

I definitely don't like slimmer collars (simply because my ties never seem to fit properly under them), but yes, I agree with you in saying that the collar is very oversized.

And the pictures aren't altered in any way other than the fact they're sized down. I have no idea how it appears as though I've pasted unto a background. :crackup:

16. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Seen as you asked, i'd like to offer some hopefully constructive criticism. I'd really like it if you kept things a bit simpler, like the last fit in the charcoal stripe suit, white shirt and silver tie. It was your best fit yet.

Generally speaking, you have fairly extreme proportions being on the shorter and muscly side and I think many of your clothes and even accessories accentuate that even more. The big peak lapels, huge collar rolls, chunky watches etc are what I'm talking about. (BTW I love Panerai just not with suits). Simple might be more conservative and less flashy, but I think it would help keep your proportions in check a bit more. I hope that helps. Cheers, Jason

2 people like this.
  17. deandbn

deandbn Senior member

IMO The front 'body' of the shirts are fine. The 'mutton leg' gathering / pleating at the shoulders has to go. The collars need stiffening, the points are in the air. The gathering beneath the yoke across the back is not cool either.

18. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Today

Suit: Canali
    Shirt: MTM by Andrew's Ties - fabrics by Monti
    Tie: Andrew's Ties - 7 Fold
    No PS
    Socks: Gallo
    Shoes: Local shoemaker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]