1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Photos, no semiotics . . .

Suit & Tie - BB
    Shirt - Lewin
    Cufflinks - Cable Car Clothiers, SF
    Shoes - Harris, via Barney's, Boston

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  2. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Hmmm. I understand what you are saying, but it is sad to me that anyone would narrow their viewpoint so much that he would cut off all the things beautiful that are of the past and and that are continued from the past.

Refuse Paris, embrace a skyrise box in Dubai? Newness is more often ugly than not, much like many of the "fits" presented as counter-examples to the shitty "casual" dress of the MC masses possessing supposedly worse taste than the fashion crowd.

I am also surprised by the pseudo-venerative relating of a phenomenon centered around merchandizing to high art (the condition of which is not in great shape today, either.) If there is "reflection" going on with designer clothes, it is of the most shallow kind with the low mental velocity sufficient enough only to give a cultish push-off to selling product.

Here's the thing: it is quite possible to enjoy the best, most interesing things that are old as well as new.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  3. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

My only comment on the ongoing conversation taking place in this thread . . . .

4. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

It's been a great conversation.

My contribution is: what MC'ers mean by "timeless" is that it will be something they will want to wear 10 years down the road.

Not external, though mostly they don't know it, but internal.

1 person likes this.
  5. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Another crappy photo. Gone all mod today in the spirit of the discussion / cross-over between MC and SW&D. Everything's black, blue and grey. Tie is a skinny charcoal wool number from Barney's Co-op, shirt is a Ben Sherman OCBD, blue-black herringbone suit was made for me by Raja based on a suit my father had cut for him in London in 1965. Hair is model's own. Not shown: suit trousers, black Paul Smith socks, Loake Chelsea boots...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. E TF

E TF Senior member

Thing with a lot of SW&D fits are the serious/sad/angry faces the posters pull, despite their casual clothes. Many successful MC posters meanwhile, in their stuffy old formal clothes, look like they're enjoying life. Is that an incoherent combination, or maybe cognitive dissonance? :confused:

7. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

whoa this side moves fast!!
    anyways the moolure has been cast and caught many a fish :laugh:

on sw&d we hear many stories about how mean/[insert insult here] you MCers are, they are like folk tales passed on from one forum generation to another.
    Id say that it is mostly a myth after this experiment. I received 12 thumbs up and only a few negative comments, which speaks to the open-mindedness of the MC side.

If you'll have me again it would be a pleasure but i think im going to retreat back into SWD for a bit :eek: ...i didnt mean to derail the thread lol

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I used to be a streetwear guy. I wanted to learn more about quality and construction, and what makes something good as opposed to bad, great from mediocre, and that path inevitably leads to classic dress, and classic tailoring. You cannot want to dress in better made clothes and not be lead to what the past as offered us whether that be a button up shirt, and wool pants, or a suit and tie, I just feel that is the way that it is.

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

4 people like this.
  10. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Here's the thing, and I'll use the two most commonly-cited members who bridge "both styles" ostensibly represented by the bifurcation of this particular forum.

When Parker and MoK are posting "fits" in SW&D, they are not posting "casual" ensembles. They are pretty much wearing those fits in the same work and play context for which they had posted coat and tie looks. It has little to do with notions of formality or informality. It's a persona change, top to bottom, and not the same as someone who dresses in tailored clothes for part of the day or week dressing down for other parts. There is no dress up or dress down for SW&D. You wear the same thing all day, all week, and everywhere, and then you put a pea coat or poncho on top of that in winter.

When today's Phat Guido is required by his employer to eschew coat and tie entirely, he is not wearing "casual" clothes at work. The employer conformity demand is no less formal than Tom Watsons IBM. The difference is that it's one-note dress compared to what PG had been calling "grown man style."

I feel that guys like gdl203 who switch back and forth are an impossible models for most guys. Ther aren't any examples of SW&D members who escape their context to look fantastic in tailored clothes, so I'm not sure why anyone thinks the turning the tables is what would work for "MCers."

There are plenty of ways an adult man to look great without coat and tie that yet remain coherent with a life in tailored clothes without untucking his shirt from his pants and stuffing his pants into his hi-top kicks.

1 person likes this.
  11. patrickBOOTH

Apparel Arts has given us many great examples of tailored casual wear.

12. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

vox - this is all really surprising. I remember pictures of you in very casual clothes that are nowhere even remotely related to your tailored clothing closet. Like that one (dare I mention it) when you were wearing a MJK hoody on your naked chest? (or is this an image I made up in my mind) :embar:

I myself moved entirely away from MC-style casual clothes. I don't want to walk around in a Borrelli cashmere car coat, Cucinelli peach cashmere sweater and handmade-in-Maine boat shoes on weekends. I used to like that but now find it completely depressing.

13. patrickBOOTH

There's the one that sticks out on my mind I think it was denim and a navy shirt with red buttons.

14. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

im sorry, and i may get reamed for this, some of this i just dont get.

15. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

It's just one man's selection among many pics. Some are great, others aren't. There's no such thing as a perfect forum or subforum where everyone looks fabulous. It's normal that you would like some and dislike others - just like (I hope!) you do here in MC

16. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

:laugh: C'est vrai.

I just think it is a minority position to do both, and thus, not generally wise.

17. in stitches

as promised, i checked last night. not sack, sorry lufty, still approve? :)

18. patrickBOOTH

[​IMG]

19. in stitches

i was hoping so. i have not been to SW&D more than 3 or 4 times, so i dont really know if that post was a fair representation or not. i have seen cross posts from time to time that i do like a lot from there, but fits that look like runway getups that you wonder if they were meant to actually be worn on the street dont appeal to me.

and yes, there are things i dislike here too, im just not very vocal about it. :)

20. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I started reading the forum a long time ago when it was unified, and these days I spend way more time reading SW+D even though I essentially dress business casual day to day. Today, however, I'm wearing a jacket and tie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boglioli jacket, McNairy shirt, RL tie, Filson belt, J crew khakis, BB/Sargent chukkas

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.