1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the shah

the shah Senior member

no, it doesn't. it tells me that a great contributor who was and still is interested in traditional clothing is no longer in these parts specifically due to the nature of this subforum. why would he ever go somewhere he has no interest in to begin with ? It doesn't really matter, except that MC has lost a good contributor, which is not a net benefit for you. you seem to suggest then that social circles are just replicates, drones that all behave according to a single algorithm, rather than a sum of individuals each replete with quirks and peculiarities coming together to form a unique array. In this sense, you are not just isolating your culture/community based on economic and social distinctions but also race/culture that would not adhere to the same algorithms. oh well...

The rest of that post reads like a warning sign at a malaria-infested stagnant pond, sorry...but the romanticization of the past without realization that it is just a singular time-point in the very cyclical fashion world you might want to escape coupled with your still-skewed view of what comprises SWD (and the idea that anyone in SWD would try to give guideline-adhering advice on suiting as understandable by MC) is just all too bizarre for me. I'd hoped this would all be an exercise in re-forging the once united StyleForum but, as with the process of speciation, two monsters have emerged, no longer the heads of one body but now entirely disparate entities.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

This is some of your best work, B. If Moo were here, he'd agree.

3. the shah

the shah Senior member

[​IMG]

4. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

How are you claiming to have "escaped" the cyclic nature of fashion? That is most patently false.

5. the shah

the shah Senior member

i'm not. it's the most obvious aspect of the industry. whether in MC or SWD , we're all subject to it. just a matter of the response.

6. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Then what's your point? The purpose of MC is, generally, to try and freeze that cycle in some sense.

7. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

:laugh: I think that you're confusing me with acecow.

If it is so easy for you to accept that someone whom you seem to admire has never, ever had a presence in the presentation and conversation of the modes of dress in SW&D, why might it be difficult to accept that "MCers" you might not admire would be the same?

The fact that MC sucks does not preclude that SW&D sucks even more. No reason to be defensive about that...the whole forum is kinda sucky these days.

You have adopted a working theory that I'm stupid.

You could be right.

But in either case, it is a fact that regularly as the change of seasons, members who are most active in the SW&D side are anxious to tell "MCers" that they look terrible when the coat and tie come off. I support this. The problem comes in the suggested remedy, which when shown in the photographic form known as, "you should really dress like me," tends to offer cures worse than the illness.

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

9. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Re-imagining the cure - now those are gems.

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

aeglus did.

11. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Vox: simple language that clearly outlines and supports an argument.

Shah: purple prose that uses a lot of words to say nothing.

12. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

1. Untuck shirt out of pants.

2. Tuck pants into shoes.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I wonder what this thread will bring me tomorrow. Today it has given me so many gifts.

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

The phrase relates to clothing, though, so in the end, I suppose it's a draw.

15. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I try not to be serious on here ever, but this back and forth is quite ridiculous.

The whole basis of a "style forvm community" is to learn from others and hone your own personal tastes. Style in its purest form is an individualized take on a uniform. One has a certain level of predictability that brands them and the details are what gives them their unique style.

This means that the whole thing is incredibly subjective. There is no right or wrong. People follow rules. People break rules. Life goes on. Aside from demonstrating your personal style to others for inspiration it's ridiculous to think that what you wear is right or wrong. It's completely personal. That's the beauty of it: It's you.

Personally I give the SWD guys all the credit in the world. Anyone who values the art of dressing and cultivating personal style is a valued member of this forum and to society. That does not mean I like everything I see over there, but hey, that's just my deal. It's how I dress and what I like. I'm sure 99.9% of SWD would say I'm an overgrown frat boy and 90% of MC would agree. Either way, I wear what I like. I took the time to learn what makes a fit that I appreciated, made a uniform and from there made it my own.

It isn't about dressing "like an adult" or "wearing clothes that fit" (whatever those two statements even mean). Instead it's about expression, appreciation and understanding.

Oh, and getting laid. Mostly about getting laid.

11 people like this.
  16. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Neither subforum is perfect, that's for sure. There's a lot of ugliness and co-optation of poor taste in both. That said, MC has a lot to learn from the collective knowledge of SW&D when it comes to casual dress, colors and fit, but most refuse to accept it. And SW&D has a lot to learn from the collective knowledge of MC when it comes to less casual dress, particularly fit and fabrics, but most refuse to accept it. I wish neither camp was so quick at shooting down advice from the other side, along with mocking the messengers. I do think having bridge posters like Parker, MoK, etc... should continue to open minds.

2 people like this.
  17. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Where is aeglus lately? He really is the best bridge poster I have seen.

2 people like this.
  18. the shah

the shah Senior member

this is what happens when you start reading a conversation backwards....that's my point, it's one point in a cycle. saying otherwise is disingenuous, romanticizing it as if it was a pinnacle without admitting a bias is blind. calling the "other" a one-trick pony when this is just the same trick repeated for a hundred years is just strange.

saying "In the context of RTW merchandizing of clothes, this lack of self-awareness leads to an annoying presumption of novelty or unique discovery masking a lack of talent in both concept and execution" is just ignorant, nobody pretends that fashion isn't cyclical, nobody lacks self-awareness to presume absolute novelty/uniqueness.

saying one side is brand-obsessed exclusively and the other is not at all is a lie.

to say that MC is a progression from SWD is odd since I know quite a few who've transitioned rather easily the other way around, not looking back...

to say that "there is never the pretense of recycling something old as new, since everything is old anyway" is fine, but to say that it is not just redoing the same trick over and over..

no such theory, but i would like evidence of this claim. i don't support anyone who does. most people dress horribly and the love for dishing advice is inversely proportional to good style, by my observations at least.

this is the best post, take a bow. i'm also sharing this if you don't mind.

19. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

He has gone pretty much full SW&D now. I think MoK is mostly there too. Parker may be on his way. I would too if I didn't have very clear Mon-Fri boundaries (and the CBD thread to keep me going)

20. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

This.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.