1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

Bit of a casual vibe today - a touch of green for tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Happy friday
    [​IMG]

and a little green for the early engineer's day.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  3. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Quote:
    I think this is all most excellent, apart from the pocket square(s?) which just seem(s) to be trying to leave earth orbit...

1 person likes this.
  4. AServetnick

AServetnick Active Member

[​IMG]

First time wearing a jacket for a job- glad it's a cooler day in DC.

6 people like this.
  5. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    sugarbutch
    "I just can't get to it, TB. Sorry."

Thanks SF (a new me)
    "how about a slimmer cut trousers? as with Parker, I like it better sans tie.Overall, nice clean look"

Parker
    "Would like even better without the tie. But looks fresh-n-clean."

the shah
    "aside from footwear this is quite a nice spring outfit. at least wear no-show socks ..."

acecow
    "It's the shoes, acrid. Not feeling the shoes."

acridsheep
    "Not feelin' this one, TB, and not entirely sure why. I love all the elements."

I greatly appreciate the above critiques, gentlemen, but they all appeared in the "Thumbs-Up" box of my latest fit post. I suggest that we reserve the Thumbs-Up box for quick nods to looks we like but post our critiques out in the main thread where we can discuss them more easily.

1 person likes this.
  6. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

To think of contemporary menswear as set of differing genres of costume of which classic tailored dress is now but one does not refute (or if you prefer, remains completely consonant with) my observations on what made some of the dudes here react in a charged way to Persion Bro #2's, uhm, floppywear.

A sophisticated practioner of the costume philosophy of clothes will protect his position by admitting that he might prefer one costume to another, but will also insist that all costumes no matter how divergent from his must be equally valid to someone, somewhere. In reality, nearly everyone accepts this premise anyway: the more distant the time (further into history) and place (farther from you); the wider the group of men who will relent that variety is inevitable.

I remain comfortable saying, however, that in our time, in our place (I will not define either since it is unncessary), the man who wears tailored clothes does so for one of three reasons that I outlined earlier. All have to do with a connection to the past. When it comes to tailored dress, that past is rather monolithic despite all the years of erosion and all the nuances (minutiae?) that trouble the brow of the online menswear protagonist. Dudes got angry at Shah because their concept of the past frees them from the rootless and relativistic aesthetic that the costume philosophy necessarily demands. In other words, no, not every costume is equally valid.

You say that you are an adherant to the costume philosphy, but I don't think that you are. When you say that wearing tailored clothes makes you "personally most comfortable," my guess is that you might just fall into one, two or all three of the categories that I described.

The costume philosophy is pretty good. The problem with it today, I will repeat, is that all the costumes are derivative of the past but only a few recognize or admit it. (Much the same is true today in the arts.) In the context of RTW merchandizing of clothes, this lack of self-awareness leads to an annoying presumption of novelty or unique discovery masking a lack of talent in both concept and execution.

So, it's just plain ugly.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm wearing a dress right now.

2 people like this.
  8. the shah

the shah Senior member

you've said this several times now, i don't think it's true. yeah, fresh compared to yesterday's trend maybe, fashion is cyclical etc. etc. i really don't think anybody denies this ...

9. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

10. acecow

acecow Senior member

Vox, very eloquently stated. I bow to you once again with respect.

I was thinking about this argument yesterday and 3 points came to mind. Both are important to me as the distinction I draw between MC and SW&D philosophies.

1. MC doesn't care about brands as long as the piece looks good. Of course, we will drool over RLPL, because it mostly looks great on everyone, but we will equally respect and adore a $5 thrifted sport coat if it fits well and is harmonious with the rest of the outfit. SW&D, on the other hand, pays a lot of attention to brands and often defines the "awesomeness" of an outfit based on the maker.

2. I have a lot of acquaintances in various social circles and nobody dresses like Mr. Shah or the other extreme SW&D posters. Most people wear some ill-fitting version of the MC casual wear sprinkled with some hipster or office plankton elements, depending on the setting. This leads me to believe that MC-version of toned down casual wear is more socially acceptable than the extreme examples in SW&D.

3. My whole life, be it professional, art, cooking or clothing has led me to believe that there is a certain path from novice to amateur to expert, and that path is always from more complexity to less. Sublime subtlety seems to be the most difficult to achieve. A couple simple examples from everyday life:
    a) cooking: beginners want to mix in more stuff, more spices, more flavors. As they become more experienced, they focus on combining a few high-quality ingredients to truly appreciate their taste.
    b) photography: beginners want more photoshop, more colors or black and white, retro styling, hdr, etc. Most professional take a few shots and mostly leave them unedited, because true beauty and talent is in simplicity, not covering up a lack of originality and skill with filters and airbrushing.

To me, MC represents a natural progression from SW&D. From brands to appreciating a certain aesthetic. From many layers, stacking, etc. to simple lines and elegant designs. From rebelling against society and desperately trying to be original to becoming one with it, but a step above everyone else.

11. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Quote:
    I agree with most of what you say in this post, but this last but one paragraph just doesn't appear to follow or make internal sense. Perhaps you can help me.

Are you claiming that designers of RTW clothes in general do not have any knowledge of the history of clothing? If so, I would dispute this as many of them have probably studied it and are almost certainly enthusiasts if not formerly educated in the history of clothing. Or are you talking about the consumers of such clothes here? That might be a more reasonable claim. Secondly, are you claiming that the predominant marketing offer is novelty? If so, I would suggest that is only partially correct, and that particularly in menswear, even fast fashion menswear, the novelty involved is often only specifically related to what has gone immediately before and is almost never presumed to be novelty in terms of the whole history of style (in fact, many references are made to the past, perhaps in a way that is rather too postmodern and eclectic for your liking, but nevertheless those references are frequent). Finally, you seem to be claiming that these things result in a 'lack of talent in concept and execution'. One may indeed argue that many RTW clothes, especially, again, those from the fast fashion end of the spectrum are indeed badly made, but that does not mean that even they are badly designed or even that poor manufacture is necessarily bad execution of a concept - since the concept might be quick, disposable clothes to be worn a handful of times. That maybe ethically problematic especially in environmental terms but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with talent.

12. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

So, from your perspective, what shelf life allows a recycled look to become fresh again? And what is the point of that cycle, other than merchandizing?

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Nope.

14. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ interesting points Acecow! :nodding:

15. the shah

the shah Senior member

of course one major factor of such a cycle is merchandising/marketing, this is a sales-driven industry after all and that's not something we can deny unless you're getting everything sourced and hand made, in which case you live in a different dimension than a great majority. i'm not sure it even matters. it's not something i subscribe to. i've no patience for fast cycles, my wardrobe isn't some some state of flux but rather is tending toward some ideal i have in my head that i try manifesting. and if what I like is derivative or based on some slower-evolving cycle (i.e. resurgence of 19th century-inspired aesthetic or Orientalism) then so be it.

1 person likes this.
  16. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like both types of clothing, English and Ivy.

2 people like this.
  17. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Hey, me, too!

We run the gamut from A to B.

1 person likes this.
  18. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

That's okay because there's nothing else to C.

19. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

(Italian clothes.) :hide:

20. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Let's just call that A 1/2. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.