HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

all of this is awesome... you don't need me to tell you but you are a well dressed chap!

2. harry2quinn

harry2quinn Senior member

Fair enough - you're right of course. However, I was looking for stroller suits and wasn't looking to waste time finding a better picture.

The point is, striped pants with a solid SB jacket is not only acceptable but completely adherent to a long-existing style of dress. Of course, I'm not wearing a waistcoat which makes up an official part of that style, but the professions where the waistcoat is accepted as a part of business attire are unfortunately now limited.

3. harry2quinn

harry2quinn Senior member

Very very nice. Classic and conservative but still sharp enough to turn heads. If I had to critique, I'd say the similar spacing of stripes on the suit and shirt make is perilously close to looking too busy. But I think you make it work.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

You need your eyes checked. That's a short jacket. And why is it necessary to be trendy at the opera? If anything, opera is supposed to be conservative.

5. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

First off, I'd like to say that fashion is almost totally subjective. There are certain things that aren't subjective, such as the fact that some colors clash together and that high-water pants aren't symmetrical with the human body, but even things like that can be regarded as fashionable and stylish if they become the norm, or avant garde. Also, I'd like to say that I am probably much younger than you and thus have more trendy tastes in fashion, and I am also aware that I have much less sartorial experience than the power posters on this website.

That aside, the above ensemble isn't very "fashionable" in the strict sense of the word. The clothing is very conservative, the colors match fairly well, but it isn't young. I'm sure that you wouldn't want to dress like someone half your age, and I would definitely caution you from doing so (as that just makes a man look like a mindless, tasteless fashion victim), but with a couple of tweaks you might be able to give yourself a younger, more stylish image.

First off, the pants could be slimmer. Not hug-the-back-of-your-leg skinny, just pleasently slim and tapered. I'd say the length is good, as long as the pants are hitting just above the sole of the shoe while you are standing. Secondly, the jacket could use some waiste supression and length reduction. If the jacket were just two inches shorter, I think it would look much more modern (but I actually don't know if a tailor could successfully shorten it without messing up the proportions). Third, I'd say you could experiment with a wool tie, to complement the rugged texture of the coat (although the picture isn't great). Fourth, a thicker watch might be more appropriate. Since you are wearing a tweed (right?) jacket with unmatched pants, it's not a formal outfit, and the slim watch looks slightly out of place.

All of that is IMHO-please don't take me for an authority, I just enjoy giving my two-cents worth. [​IMG]

6. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

Very nice.

7. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

Regarding the first point, I would beg to differ... but since I am relatively inexperienced at this, I won't.

And regarding the second point, I've observed that older gentlement dress fairly conservatively to the opera, while younger men (and women) go to the opera to show people that they are trendy. Frankly, I think it's unfortunate. I used to wear a tux to the opera, but I don't any more because I am always the only person outside the orchestra pit to be so attired. I'm not going to try to fight it, because I'm too young for that; instead, I break out the more trendy and slim pieces of my limited wardrobe when I go to the opera.

And by the way, I live in a city that is, for the most part, devoid of well-dressed people. Maybe in NY the audience is filled with penguins, but not here.

8. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

It can be objectively called short because the the end of the jacket is a couple inches above the knuckles in the first picture.

9. A Y

A Y Senior member

Apologies for the crappy picture quality, and post-200-mile drive dishevelment. This is my first attempt at a bowtie outside a dinner jacket, and worn for a matinee LA Phil performance today.

[​IMG]

10. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

Maybe too many pops of color? with the light blue shirt, the dark blue pocket square and watch, and the red/white bowtie, I'd say that there are too many things demanding attention, and they compete with each other. I think a darker, wool tie, perhaps in grey and navy, would have worked better. IMHO

11. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

[​IMG] needs to see this asap. This is how a DB like that should look.

12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Thanks for the feedback guys and maybe we'll agree to disagree on some things (like my tie in the black suit pic!)... all your points are well taken but to clarify...

I meant the tie to be a purposeful tweak on the conservative nature of the black and white symphony/opera evening ensemble and to me it kind of reflects the idea of Christmas ornaments (it was an X-Mas concert after all) and I was having fun with it. The shoes admittedly were just me being lazy...normally I wear the lace up oxfords, but they're newer, nicer, the weather was a little iffy...anyway.

The issue of the jacket length (as CDHagg and jrd617 have pointed out) may be from the angle and from the fact that proportionately I have freakishly long (Gorilla) arms! The jacket when taken into consideration with the proportion to the trouser length and my torso is actually very conservative (meaning not modern-short and nearly at a 50% ratio top to bottom). It's actually very regular and I would agree not short in that respect but may appear so when gauged by its position w/ respect to my hands (knuckles). Had I been wearing the normal tie and shoes I suspect the look wouldn't have gotten any comments except "don't wear a black f'ing suit you dolt! :lol:" C'est la vie.

Now on to your points on the houndstooth & trousers look CDHagg which I actually agree with almost entirely... but again some context. The coat and jacket are both almost 15 years old and were my father's...back in his leaner days. I had them tailored as far as I could w/o exacerbating the difference b/t the waist and shoulders in the jacket and not pulling the pants too much as they are pleated. I compromised for a slightly looser feel given the fabrics (houndstooth and wool) and the fact that otherwise they would hang in the closet collecting dust. This particular iteration was the "test drive"...first time I had worn them and was just seeing how they felt and how they looked. But you have a keen eye...ideally I would tailor them just as you've described. I won't address the watch at the moment b/c my grad student budget has me by the balls...but soon my friend.

I have been a member for about a year and haven't posted many looks; but you'll find they run the gamut. I love clothing, am willing to try different things and have a very adaptable style (from conservative classic to very modern and edgy). I may in fact be older than you but I'm often taken for ten years younger than my age and depending on the situation and outfit I'm sometimes not even recognized by casual acquaintances who may only see me in a certain context wearing a certain ensemble. I hope to share some more interesting (and hopefully SF approved!) fits in the future and look forward to everyone's informed and polite critiques. Thanks again fellas and keep stylin'.

13. Loudscout

Loudscout Member

+1 You destroyed this look. Well played.

14. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

15. onix

onix Senior member

Rest assured, that will happen. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.