• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

romeo, i think the pants look perfect, dont uncuff them.
why did you go glen plaid on your first mid gray suit? why not solid, if you dont mind me asking?

i had a chance to pick up that BB fitz saxxon suit for a great price
brand new and unaltered and in my size

i had been wanting a patterned suit... and a mid-gray at some point...
it just happened that the two things were found together in one suit

I also think romeos suit looks great on him. Something lighter suits you well.

hmm really? i feel like darker colors suit me better
i like the suit but it was a little odd for me wearing the mid gray yesterday
i want some more shades of blue in my suits

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Leaning-63.jpg

Very disappointing that I can't get a good photo of the Kent Wang PS.
It's quite luxurious -- perhaps a bit too formal for day-wear, in fact.

Closeup-121.jpg

Sleeve-38.jpg

Feet-59.jpg

The lapels seem lost in that expanse of fabric, TB. Is there a lot of extension of the shoulders past your natural shoulder? I want to like, but it's coming off a bit linebacker-ish.

rps20111128_142012.jpg

Your best so far, Rome.

photo-3-5.jpg

photo-2-6.jpg

photo-13.jpg

photo-1-6.jpg

Love the top half, Rob. (The laces are a fun touch, too.) I wish the trousers were a "weightier" fabric though.

mc'd up today
chan corduroy suit
mytailor chambray
howard yount lavendar knit tie
shipton & heneage loafers

Home run. (Baseball metaphors are okay out of season, right?)

Herewith the first of the promised Apparel Arts charts.

This first set is from an eight-page gatefold from 1935. It begins with illustrations that demonstrate first principles:

On the left we have a "Don't!" and on the right we have a "Do." The commentary speaks well for itself. I add only that the ensemble on the left looks quite a bit like the Prince Charles picture posted in the first thread. The combination on the right is the classic way to combine patterns in a sophisticated manner. It's relatively easy to pair a neat patterned tie with a striped suit if the shirt is solid, or even a striped tie and checked shirt with a solid suit. Pairing a patterned shirt with a patterned coat is much harder. This is the place to start if you are just learning. Using a solid tie in this way is a time-honored sign of a well dressed man.

On the left, another disaster. Like the prior example, the problem is too much of a single meme. On the right, success. It may look jarring at first, but remember that these are line drawings; they are not seriously suggesting that you wear a white jacket with black stripes. Reading the caption, you can see that it was drawn this way to emphasize the lines. Note also the capacious ground on the tie, and the far-spaced dots. This is in keeping with some of the comments I made in a prior thread.

Both of these are successes. Try to get past the Bugsy Siegel first impression of the jacket on the left. Remember: line drawing. It's just to represent scale, in this case of a bold check. It's another application of the principle: Jacket and shirt patterned, plus solid tie. It works. On the left we have a "diagonal stripe" coat. This is apparently not merely a twill weave but something like the Richard Anderson signature. Not something one sees much. I really doubt this would work if the stripes on tie went the other way. Also, clearly a checked or spotted tie of some kind would work, too.

Two more that "work." We have only one pattern on the left, but a striking ensemble nonetheless. The ensemble on the right is a bit mundane -- who doesn't know how to pair a dotted tie with a basic patterned coat -- but it works.

Here we have a brief explanation of pattern design. While the judgement is correct in these two cases, I'm not sure I entirely buy the explanation. A busy pattern is not in and of itself a disaster. This particular busy pattern fails in its attempt to meld two small elements. A pattern that melds one big with one small -- say, a nailhead with a windowpane -- can work marvelously.

This is just a cautionary about how to pair stripes. I trust none of us will find it controversial.

Full quote for posterity.

936f8f71.jpg

0347068a.jpg

a173a680.jpg

f0ec2040.jpg

ed94ecea.jpg

Lovely, Spoo. This is the sweet spot.

Fun(ny) sort of day, so a prophetically fun(ny) sort of outfit to go with it...

ZOMG. Waaaay too much going on here, Doc. Is that an odd waistcoat or part of a suit? It looks promising.

Also, not that you asked, but you should arrange for someone to kidnap that shirt and then not pay the ransom.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan at all of the latest Holdfast, far too busy.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Club1.jpg
Club2.jpg
Nice suit. I would personally wear a spread collar shirt to go with the wide lapels of the jacket.
I like the Club Collar, that is why I wore it. I usually wear a spread with this suit, but I wanted to mix it up. Mike

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is about as good as it gets. Slick, stylish and professional...and calls just enough attention to itself. Now you should feel free to write a book...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads