HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Like UC, I really didn't feel patterny today. Must be the gloomy weather here. Which also explains the dreadful post-processing to compensate for near-zero light... Not pictured: the annoyingly-necessary tan raincoat...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

They look great on you!

3. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

photo came out really dark/ not too clear, but....out to dinner Friday night: kiton gray pinstripe suit, white with lite blue stripes isaia FC shirt, new striped orange & gray kiton wool tie from barneys visit, finally got to wear the new brown Lobb laceups purchased from Mr. Porter site several weeks ago (complete with new flat laces from a fellow Forum member, and shoeshine at the Mark Hotel Lobb stand! :D )

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A really nice New York Sunday: white Isaia shirt, Corneliani ID dark navy coat, Canali gray flannel trousers, Tods brown suede boots, TF sunglasses.

[​IMG]

Holiday windows starting to display at places like Bergdorf, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

We're Nor Cal, bro. Flannel is a six-month fabric up here! Now, which six months of the year those are is totally up for grabs every year...

5. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

You´re back!!!! Double breasted and all [​IMG]

6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Are you saying that Señor Crust has moobs? Dude, that's not cool. :D

7. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

We're both short, so we face similar challenges there. I've worn enough RTW to know that coats labeled "short" are still usually not short enough for people 5'6" and under. I've had expensive alterations done to shorten coats. It just never looks right.

You are in better shape than me, so your shoulder to waist ratio is more dramatic than mine. This poses an additional problem for you with RTW. You're either sacrificing too much in the chest and waist to get shoulders that fit, or you are sacrificing tight shoulders to get a chest and waist that fit. That's likely what is causing the divots in your sleeves below the shoulder on some of your coats. I think you mentioned you use Field's. He's about as good as they get, but alterations just have their limitations.

I don't know if I can provide an example of a silhouette. It's not as much the look of the cut, as much as it is the fit of the cut. I just don't think there's much RTW out there for guys with your build.

You've got a very good sense of color, patterns, texture, etc. You put together nice outfits with nice items. I think your main issue is that the RTW industry just doesn't make clothes for people with your build (or mine). I'd recommend trying bespoke. I think the cost won't be much different, particularly when you factor in the cost of alterations and all of the errors from the trial and error phase. You can get a bespoke tailor to give you the look you desire, but also make it fit better. I'd recommend Chan or Yao when they visit D.C. I have experience with both and can give you more info, if you're interested.

8. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

Agreed. That's what I was shooting for with the PS, but I missed. Thanks for the feedback, Vic.

Sigged!

9. timotune

timotune Senior member

10. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Bittersweet for the blues today...my Napolitan blues pulled out a huge emotional win, my City blues a heartbreaking loss, and from what I'm hearing about events before the match, pretty rough fighting in the shadow of Vesuv, but then again, that's from English media, so...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

NYR, I generally dig your style, but this DB vest is just not working for me. I'd be interested to hear opinions of others though, as I am trying to think of ways to incorporate odd vests myself.

12. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

when it's covered up by the jacket and just a little bit is showing, it's not too bad...
    but by itself... it looks weird... very costumey

13. unbelragazzo

I'm so unused to seeing waistcoats with lapels, especially in a fabric like that, that at first I thought you were wearing a jacket under your jacket. So both were weird to me (NYR, I'm not trying to hate on you, so apologies)

14. unbelragazzo

I think the reason is that the lapels and the double breasts make the waistcoat more formal looking to me (I think this is right, but somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). The fabric of the waistcoat and the rest of the fit are quite informal.

15. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

No need to apologize...I appreciate the feedback. I was just looking for something a bit different, so I went db and peaked lapels...I also think the top button needs to be moved ever so slightly. FWIW, I pretty much wore the vest sans jacket all day, I also think it doesn't quite jam with the Cramerton khakis as well, could use more contrast, like a light to mid grey flannel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.