• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

KtownGreg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Greg, nice.
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
+1 Sweet sport coat.

thanks.

untitled1of3-4.jpg

untitled2of3-4.jpg

Sammy (yep sleeves are there but not in the pic), BB, HY, EGs

untitled3of3-4.jpg

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
I'm troubled by the fit of the suit, though, but I can't comment on it intelligently b/c the photos aren't very good.
Yeah, I'm honestly, and regrettably, starting to feel the same way. It was an extremely "modern" cut; thin lapels, slightly short jacket, skinny all over... It might look good if I were to lose 40 lbs, but I am unfortunately coming around to the fact that it really isn't suited to my (current) body type. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt. The really unfortunate part is that it will be a while before I can justify another decent suit, barring any sales or lucky finds online. Hence the cheap-o little grey number I posted last week.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
mktitsworth: That jacket needs some serious alterations... or something.

Like what?

Originally Posted by acecow
Do you want to read any critique? If not, or you can't take it, please don't click on the following spoiler:

First, the good thing. I like those socks. They are from Target. I have a pair.

Shoes: I don't think you've quite pulled off the tassel loafer look. The shoes are kinda cool by themselves, though.

Tie/PS: The tie is too shiny. Looks cheap, even if it isn't. The PS is, once again, too shiny and doesn't go with anything else in your outfit. It's just hanging there by itself . The way you folded it, it looks like you've stuck a triple-folded tie in there.

Pants: Pull them up. Slimmer, slightly more tapered pants would do wonders for your body type.

The jacket: Ooooff... It's too big and too long. It needs more open quarters. I'd say it is unsalvadgeable, unless you spend some serious $$ on it at a good tailor.

This whole outfit makes you look like a HS kid in terms of choosing and coordinating pieces. It also makes you look extremely short, especially your legs. A shorter, slimmer jacket will help that.

Keep posting and reading the forum, you will improve greatly!

Thank you for the critique. While I'm sure its scathing honesty will burn a hole deeply within my soul that will cause me to self mutilate, every scar will remind me of the wisdom that I've taken from it.

Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
i really don't know where this theory comes from... good fit is good fit, period. now, if you're expecting to wear multiple layers underneath your jacket, have it be a bit looser. form should follow function. if not, it should be just as well fitted as anything else. if it's tweed, you're allowed a bit more looseness because the heavy fabric makes it more difficult to discern subtle differences in cut/silhouette - and, because tweed is often worn in cold weather, when you often need another layer underneath.

but generally speaking, the fact that so many people wear rumply, loose sport coats doesn't (shouldn't) legitimize a fit that is any less exacting than one you'd want in a suit jacket.

Touche. Thanks for the input.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
Like what?

The "trash it and buy a smaller jacket, preferably an S" alteration. Quite necessary, I think.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the critique. While I'm sure its scathing honesty will burn a hole deeply within my soul that will cause me to self mutilate, every scar will remind me of the wisdom that I've taken from it.

I appreciate your good humor. Some people really can't take any criticism and think of me as some kind of a**hole. I figured since I pretty much disliked your whole outfit, you could also think that. But it's not the case, I'm just trying to help.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your good humor. Some people really can't take any criticism and think of me as some kind of a**hole. I figured since I pretty much disliked your whole outfit, you could also think that. But it's not the case, I'm just trying to help.

Lets not deceive ourselves here. You are some kind of a**hole. It takes all kinds, even different kinds of a**hole. You're the kind of a**hole who wraps their a**holishness within a veil of "I'm just trying to help." Doesn't change whether or not you may make a good point. Nor does it change that I'm the kind of a**hole to disregard all or part of what you may think based upon my own opinions regardless of whether or not you chose to be an a**hole in the first place.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lets not deceive ourselves here. You are some kind of a**hole. It takes all kinds, even different kinds of a**hole. You're the kind of a**hole who wraps their a**holishness within a veil of "I'm just trying to help." Doesn't change whether or not you may make a good point. Nor does it change that I'm the kind of a**hole to disregard all or part of what you may think based upon my own opinions regardless of whether or not you chose to be an a**hole in the first place.

In that case feel free to disregard it and keep dressing like you did.
bigstar[1].gif

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that case feel free to disregard it and keep dressing like you did.
bigstar[1].gif

Hell no. I'm an a**hole, not a jacka**.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
It was much better in my head than in application.

Someone explain why red, pink and burgundy cannot work together?

Spoo's application looks good to me. It sound ****** in theory, I guess, but seems to look fine, no?

Malloric

Reaction score
Look at SpooPoker versus upr-crust. That's basically your range of what "good fit" is. It's a big range, and that jacket is out of it, mktit. As a fellow student I empathize with fit being an issue. I mean exactly how much does it make sense to spend on tailoring to make a $250 JoS Bank suit fit better? Hem the pants and address the coat sleeves if atrocious. My jackets don't fit right either. Off the rack just doesn't fit anywhere near the exacting standards of SF, but I do think you could do better than that jacket. On the upside, most people think my cheap, poorly fitting attire looks good. That or they're just being polite.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No chance for a full-length today. Giving a ModernTailor.com "test" shirt a spin. I based the measurements on one of my Hemrajani shirts, but tried to trim up the fit a bit. Everything turned out pretty well except through the abdomen where I overdid it. Fortunately, the shirt was made with darts, and I was able to rip out the stitching. Problem solved!

20110328.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads