• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
5f0d23fe.jpg

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey ladies. Been a while.

PRL
CT
BB
Mabitex
AE

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't mean to pick on sugarbutch, but his outfit shows a reoccurring problem in this thread. I appreciate that people enjoy their tweedy, country-ish sport coats, but they often just look incongruent when paired with certain accessories. The bright and vibrant colors of the shirt, tie, pocket square, and cuff links don't jive at all with the earth tones of the coat. The textures and patterns aren't harmonious either.

Try a pale blue shirt with some texture or maybe a tattersall in a number of different colors instead of a solid white with double-cuffs. A patterned tie competes against the boldly patterned coat, so this is a good opportunity to use a solid tie with some texture, like a silk grenadine, or a muted pattern, like a cashmere or wool herringbone. If you still want a pattern and like the green color, then consider a green that is more earth-toned and doesn't have such a vibrantly colored pattern. The pocket square should also stay in the earth tones. Those Drakes moghul squares go well with just about anything, but a nice paisley madder would work well too.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't mean to pick on sugarbutch, but his outfit shows a reoccurring problem in this thread. I appreciate that people enjoy their tweedy, country-ish sport coats, but they often just look incongruent when paired with certain accessories. The bright and vibrant colors of the shirt, tie, pocket square, and cuff links don't jive at all with the earth tones of the coat. The textures and patterns aren't harmonious either.

Try a pale blue shirt with some texture or maybe a tattersall in a number of different colors instead of a solid white with double-cuffs. A patterned tie competes against the boldly patterned coat, so this is a good opportunity to use a solid tie with some texture, like a silk grenadine, or a muted pattern, like a cashmere or wool herringbone. If you still want a pattern and like the green color, then consider a green that is more earth-toned and doesn't have such a vibrantly colored pattern. The pocket square should also stay in the earth tones. Those Drakes moghul squares go well with just about anything, but a nice paisley madder would work well too.

I generally agree with the critique above, but I think it might not fully apply in this case. The photo is lit by the fluorescent light above my desk, so the tie and PS appear to be much more vibrant than they actually are. The tie, for example, is a much more muted olive with fairly muted figures on it; same for the PS and silk knots (which are a very subdued burgundy). I agree that a PS like the Drake's would have been better, and I would have chosen something like it if it were in my closet. I typically wear this jacket with a blue shirt with a bit of pattern, but in the reality of this morning, this (fairly textured) white shirt was the only one ironed, and the kids needed to get to school.

I hope the above doesn't come off as "But, but, but..." and thanks for taking the time to offer your suggestions.

sprout

Reaction score
I generally agree with the critique above, but I think it might not fully apply in this case. The photo is lit by the fluorescent light above my desk, so the tie and PS appear to be much more vibrant than they actually are. The tie, for example, is a much more muted olive with fairly muted figures on it; same for the PS and silk knots (which are a very subdued burgundy). I agree that a PS like the Drake's would have been better, and I would have chosen something like it if it were in my closet. I typically wear this jacket with a blue shirt with a bit of pattern, but in the reality of this morning, this (fairly textured) white shirt was the only one ironed, and the kids needed to get to school.
I hope the above doesn't come off as "But, but, but..." and thanks for taking the time to offer your suggestions.

For me it's the French cuffs that throw this off. Absent those, I think everything would be copacetic.

Christopher Essex

Reaction score
Here it is, iGentlemen - my first WAYWRN post (well, from last Saturday night).

I'm aware my shirt sleeves are a bit long and I may need a few more tweaks with the waist suppression. Both the shirt and the dinner suit are brand-new - just picked it up that afternoon.
DSCN2301.JPG

DSCN2304.JPG

DSCN2300.JPG

Dinner suit: Coppley MTM
Tie: Dior MTO
Shirt: BB
Shoes: Moreschi

Violin: made in Germany early 1900s

Alexander

Reaction score

I'm aware my shirt sleeves are a bit long and I may need a few more tweaks with the waist suppression. Both the shirt and the dinner suit are brand-new - just picked it up that afternoon.
DSCN2301.JPG

DSCN2304.JPG

DSCN2300.JPG

Nice outfit but as you said shirt sleeves are a little bit long

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DSCN2301.JPG

Your shirt sleeves are definitely too long, and you should try adjusting the length of the bow tie - shorten it, so that it makes a smaller bow (more James Bond, less Orville Redenbacher) - I learned that lesson the hard way this summer when I started wearing bow ties. Do not believe the lengths as shown on the inside band of the bow tie - shorten it as much as you can comfortably.

I will give you kudos, assuming that you're a professional musician, for having proper formal shoes. I live near Lincoln Center, and have seen many too many musicians in ill-fitting tuxes with black rubber-soled shoes - the only thing that distinguishes them from a waiter is their instrument case.

A bit of tweaking, and you'll look much better - best of luck with the process, and wear the tux in good health.

Christopher Essex

Reaction score
DSCN2301.JPG

Your shirt sleeves are definitely too long, and you should try adjusting the length of the bow tie - shorten it, so that it makes a smaller bow (more James Bond, less Orville Redenbacher) - I learned that lesson the hard way this summer when I started wearing bow ties. Do not believe the lengths as shown on the inside band of the bow tie - shorten it as much as you can comfortably.

I will give you kudos, assuming that you're a professional musician, for having proper formal shoes. I live near Lincoln Center, and have seen many too many musicians in ill-fitting tuxes with black rubber-soled shoes - the only thing that distinguishes them from a waiter is their instrument case.

A bit of tweaking, and you'll look much better - best of luck with the process, and wear the tux in good health.

Thanks, Mr. Crust. I did actually notice the bow tie was too long...it's the first one I've had like that (with the neck sizes on the band). I realized it after I'd left for my concert.

I'm actually not a professional musician - I just play in an amateur orchestra. My previous dinner suit was 20 years old and dated, so I felt it neede a refresh.

However , I agree that most professional musicians need some work sartorially.

Thank you for the kind words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads