HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Thanks Mike! It's one of those vintage gems I found at a local cherity shop a few years back.

2. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Windowpane Wednesday.

I am on the fence with this SC. It is linen, Polo, made in Italy. Completely unconstructed. Originally I bought a different SC from this vendor, which was too small. I took this in exchange. I want to like it, I really do. Wish it was a tad bit shorter. I will let the board comment.

Pants are Polo as well as is shirt and tie. Shoes are BB loafers, very fun. Belt is Rugby.

Have a good one, and keep your eyes on the tropics my friends residing in the Gulf South.

Mike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. barims

barims Senior member

Les Paul is an excellent choice for that song. You seem to be getting terrific sustain out of it, too. It's still going strong in every quote.

Congratulations, elgreco; your cunning deployment of several half-naked, sweaty, sports-playing fellows has won you the approbation of an entire men's clothing forum

Thanks for all the constructive criticism and suggestions guys. Live and learn [​IMG] .. I guess that I will have to eat some crow and tell her that she was right. Although we did have a good laugh about my choice of colors over dinner later that evening and why I was off of my game.

Mind if I chime in?

I could have seen it working if:
    - The jacket was a little darker - light brown or at least fairly tan - and perhaps subtly textured. A tiny houndstooth weave would have been splendid
    - You wore a grey shirt with a midnight blue or black necktie to take more of the edge off the trousers
    - You wore reddish or medium brown laceups
    - The silhouette was a little sleeker, perhaps in the vein of ManofKent's

I hope that you don't feel piled-on

Barims, your sunglasses are tyrannically aweseome.
    Looking like a true Despot with the beard and DB. Vox would be so proud. [​IMG]

Mike

Thanks, fellows, I do seem a touch imperious wearing them here in Ghana

New jacket, 85% cashmere 15% silk; 100% badass, I love it.

You know that I like your effusive approach, but the festive floral seems a touch floaty to blend with the earthier pieces successfully

The jacket's a smash, however. Enjoy your long, hot summer, R

Ain't i clean, bad machine
    Super cool, super mean

It's a 'Pusherman' quote; it's a compliment in my book. 'Freddy's Dead' is my favourite song on the album, however

Very cool. The sunglasses are awesome. Even Adam Boulton appears to approve. [​IMG]

My day would have been incomplete if he didn't

Thanks, C

Yes! The beard & glasses look great. Hat trick from Gyan tonight?

It is Germany; I realise this is partly a World Cup of upsets, but I'd be surprised if that was the case

On the other hand, we only need to hold them to a draw, and I could certainly anticipate that

Rather warm and sunny:

[​IMG]

Excellent ensemble today; you have a real facility for summer where others (myself included) would struggle

[​IMG]

This is, in principle, dashing, but - and I am giving him quite the press today - a ManofKent-esque texturing would not go amiss

Specifically, the tie: a burgundy knit or grenadine seems more appealing given the jaunty nature of your outfit

4. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

5. srivats

srivats Senior member

[​IMG]

This is terrific!

6. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ sweet combo, oldog.

7. gregaz

gregaz Senior member

Rather warm and sunny:

MoK - terrific and fresh combination (as usual), but how about investing into a trouser press or something? Or is that "your thing"?

Dark and wet morning:

I love the clean lines and simplicity of your outfits like this.

Windowpane Wednesday.

I think I like it ... but a full body shot would be nice. [​IMG]

New shoes...

So, they fit? I think you made them work good. I always think of spectators with lighter pants, but why not try something different?

Yes, it's BBBF. I like the general silhouette and most things about it.
    <SNIP>
    Anyway, I'm waffling, but I guess what I'm saying is that I like BBBF but also like my Ede items. They're different looks and create a different impression, but I'm not convinced one is absolutely a better silhouette than the other. The BBBF is more stylish (and more SF-approved), the Ede bespoke more balanced to my eye. I do think it probably suits my build better than some of my older Ede MTM and my RLPL RTW, though there's room in my wardrobe for all those different silhouettes.

Thank you for interacting on this - I found it very interesting. I think you have a well balanced outlook on it (I would say you do on most things sartorial). A mature dresser appreciates various things for various reasons. I own (and frequently wear) a BBBF suit, but I too don't wear it like TB would. I think it can be fun as something different - and in the context of an entire wardrobe / style. I don't think designers REALLY expect anyone to dress like their runway models - we are to take their ideas and incorporate them into our own. I believe Vox posted photos of his BBBF DB a while back, and he also managed to use it as something different, but workable in the greater context. I've seen Lufty and Foxx do that as well.

Air Guitar: Les Paul Custom Silverburst (it has to be better than my real guitar, right?!?!?)
    Song (being played by DJ): Guns N' Roses - "Sweet Child O' Mine"

I am not sure this is SF approved behavior ... you should have taken off your pants, socks and shoes to prevent any wrinkling and scratching first, and then slid across the stage.

8. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Good to see the suits out again, Oldog!

Mike

9. jobro

jobro Senior member

Good to see the suits out again, Oldog!

Mike

Certainly a sight for sore eyes [​IMG]

10. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

[​IMG]

I like the informal touch of the un-cuffed white trousers...and the chapeau rocks.

Dark and wet morning:
    [​IMG]

That tie is another vintage gem, JB. That reminds me to pick up one of those classics for myself.

New shoes...

[​IMG]

Nice use of the solid tie.

[​IMG]

I often see lighter-grey pinstripes that look unappealing but I do like this.

As PandArts mentioned, it's a rainy day here in Chicago.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

New shoes...

Love those shoes. Not quite buying them with the outfit, but they're great!

[​IMG]

Good.

Dark and wet morning...

Classic colours.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/9...ullengthat.jpg

Thank you; I have all the individual elements of this look, so will steal in the future. [​IMG]

I own (and frequently wear) a BBBF suit, but I too don't wear it like TB would. I think it can be fun as something different - and in the context of an entire wardrobe / style. I don't think designers REALLY expect anyone to dress like their runway models - we are to take their ideas and incorporate them into our own. I believe Vox posted photos of his BBBF DB a while back, and he also managed to use it as something different, but workable in the greater context. I've seen Lufty and Foxx do that as well.

Yep. I think that's the whole point & fun of game really; figuring out what pleases your eye.

Feeling slouchy & crumpled...

[​IMG]

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Hey Spoo, where might one happen upon spectators such as those--they certainly are lovely!

13. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

^ sweet combo, oldog.

Thanks, Parker, et al. That should be SWEAT combo, however. As much as I enjoy dressing, and though I did it regardless of the weather for the first 25 years I practiced my profession, DC summers have defeated me for the last decade. I suppose I could blame the decline in my standards on the "business casual" boom, but it's really just that I've sacrificed professional dress, when it's not absolutely necessary, for comfort when the mercury and humidity reach the stratosphere. I'm still inspired by the golden age; but more this:

[​IMG][​IMG]

than this:

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. IST66

IST66 Senior member

15. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Very nice summer look, MOK.

Mike

Most excellent

Cheers guys.

Windowpane Wednesday.

I am on the fence with this SC. It is linen, Polo, made in Italy. Completely unconstructed. Originally I bought a different SC from this vendor, which was too small. I took this in exchange. I want to like it, I really do. Wish it was a tad bit shorter. I will let the board comment.

Pants are Polo as well as is shirt and tie. Shoes are BB loafers, very fun. Belt is Rugby.

Have a good one, and keep your eyes on the tropics my friends residing in the Gulf South.

Mike

Difficult to judge the length without a full shot. For me the fabric says summer yet the pattern says Scottish winter so it doesn't feel right - but that's coming from an Englishman so take my views with that in mind...

It is Germany; I realise this is partly a World Cup of upsets, but I'd be surprised if that was the case

On the other hand, we only need to hold them to a draw, and I could certainly anticipate that

Excellent ensemble today; you have a real facility for summer where others (myself included) would struggle

I'm hoping that Germany give Ghana a penalty or two - you've got one of the finest penalty takers in the tournament. Anyway Ghana doesn't lack spirit which is great.

Oh, and thanks. My summer looks are slowly improving - largely from stealing ideas from Neo, JPHardy and TC (where is he?), and trying to make them slightly more English...

Other than the obvious omission [​IMG] I really like this.

MoK - terrific and fresh combination (as usual), but how about investing into a trouser press or something? Or is that "your thing"?
    I could try a trouser press, but I'm not sure that's the key problem. They generally look okay when they're first put on straight off the hanger. It's wearing them that seems to be the problem. Today's shots were taken about an hour after I'd put them on - 40 minutes pottering around the house then 20 minutes walk, other shots are often taken after a further 20 minute walk and a train journey. It could be my ironing, but I suspect it's more to do with large thighs and backside wearing rtw cotton trousers, but I've tried different cuts and different fabric weights and always seem to have the same problem. I've even tried spray starch when ironing... It's worse with cotton but I can even make mohair blend trousers look rumpled. Any advice is welcome [​IMG]

I like the informal touch of the un-cuffed white trousers...and the chapeau rocks.
    Thanks - the 'chapeau' was remarkably cheap but just had the right crown height and brim width.

Looking good yourself - Nice PS - Drakes? Great choice of soundtrack too [​IMG]

Good.

Feeling slouchy & crumpled...
    I like the top half, but I'd prefer it paired with less formal trousers.
    Unlike some members I'm not heavily into watches but that one looks great,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.