1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spoozy

spoozy Well-Known Member

Wow thanks very much. As a matter of fact once I posted the pics, i rethought the PS and went with a trusty flat-fold white cotton one instead. Again, thanks

You´re welcome. A white ps really does a good job here.

2. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

I will continue to wear the fedora even if I looked like a stepped off the 1935 spaceship to some people. I love it, I feel comfortable, and confident in it, and it makes me very happy. These are the most important reasons for me to do something I want to do.[​IMG]

You mean you don't live to impress the inner-circle?? [​IMG] Looks great man! And you have some fine looking ladies surrounding you (in previous pics), which is a compliment in and of itself.

3. radicaldog

radicaldog Well-Known Member

Hats, like pocket squares, look bad the way they are worn 90% of the time.

True. Now if only you could entertain the possibility that you're not always in that other 10%...

Regarding the hat in Tibor's very well-executed retro get-up, I think it's the usual classic clothing paradox: those clothes are meant to be worn with hats, pocket squares, perhaps even a boutonnière. So in a sense they look better with appropriate accessories. But then those accessories also highlight how dated the whole classic dress code is. CBD is the only remaining safe stronghold of classical dress.

4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

Played?
    [​IMG]

When I first saw this, I thought "wow, that top half looks better than 99.99% of anything I've ever seen, but I just don't feel the bottom half..." I scrolled away, scrolled back up, scrolled away and then back up, and by that time, had totally changed my mind.. Conclusion, looks better than 99.999% of anything I've ever seen.. Well done PG..

I will continue to wear the fedora even if I looked like a stepped off the 1935 spaceship to some people. I love it, I feel comfortable, and confident in it, and it makes me very happy. These are the most important reasons for me to do something I want to do.[​IMG]

Exactly the reasons to wear clothing.. I like the way you avoid the temptation to conform, it's a key element of real style, as opposed to the style one adopts by a formulaic approach to dressing.. I think you wear your clothes well..

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

6. niidawg3

niidawg3 Well-Known Member

Nice. Monks work really well - deets on them?

Is that a cotton suit? Makes me wish it was still 85 degrees in the Bay Area...

Thanks guys. The monks are by a local shoemaker in argentina ... and the suit is 100% linen ...

[​IMG]

beautiful cloth on the sc. i do agree the sleeve pitch looks a little funny. the combining is beautiful though ... wore something similar on Wednesday but didnt post a picture that day.

Giorgio Armani Charcoal double breasted suit 6x2 with medium gray chalkstripes
    [​IMG]

aesthetically appealling, historically accurate.

the top half is smashing PG. ithe PRL fits REALLY well. just can't decide on the bottom half. the red pants is throwing me off. maybe i need to get used to the concept of brown and red.

Meetings today, so went for stealth plaid:

[​IMG]

nicely plaid Mok ... the TM Lewin suits do not give you the best silhouette. the buttoning roll and sleeves dont look as good as a lot of your other stuff.

When I first saw this, I thought "wow, that top half looks better than 99.99% of anything I've ever seen, but I just don't feel the bottom half..." I scrolled away, scrolled back up, scrolled away and then back up, and by that time, had totally changed my mind.. Conclusion, looks better than 99.999% of anything I've ever seen.. Well done PG..

gnatty - you really are becoming the king of hyperboles. yesterday it was the best jacket ever ... today its 99.999% of anything you've ever seen. i'm surprised you haven't run out of positions on your "best ever" scale.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Was that phrased as a question for satirical purposes or is it mere ironic coincidence?

(I sense an infinitely recursive joke taking root here... )

Is this a rhetorical question?

- B

i'll take "Styleforvm Snark" for 200

Who is re-evolving?

7. MBreinin

MBreinin Well-Known Member

So, Plaid Challenge, eh?

I was torn..it said "best use of plaid." Do I go full on FU plaid, or do I go subtle??

So, I suited up double.

Subtle:

[​IMG]

Full on plaid:

[​IMG]

In the end, it came down to comfort. While I really love this flannel DB, I was sweating in my house....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, I went full on Plaid instead. Morty Sills vintage 1976 suit, Brioni tie, vintage Wright Cordwainers....and a puffed PS!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have a great one!

Mike

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Hah- I had the opposite experience. My first impression was "nice- typical PG bringing this all together". Then after a couple more looks, I feel like it looks too incongruous bohemian and isn't that harmonious. Ask me again in an hour [​IMG]

Exactly the reasons to wear clothing.. I like the way you avoid the temptation to conform, it's a key element of real style, as opposed to the style one adopts by a formulaic approach to dressing.. I think you wear your clothes well..

Well put and I totally agree.

9. MBreinin

MBreinin Well-Known Member

Giorgio Armani Charcoal double breasted suit 6x2 with medium gray chalkstripes
    1940's medium slate gray fedora 2 1/2 inch raw edge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tibor, another great fit and another great set of photos!!!

This looks really great--except for the hat. It's completely unconvincing and plummets the outfit to the status of costume. Take it off and you'd be a star in this thread.

I object to this response.

Just because something is out of the ordinary doesn't mean it's brave or commendable. I see nothing inherently better about wearing a hat than wearing an Ed Hardy shirt. Both can look bad.

I strenuously object to this response. You are flat wrong.

Played?
    [​IMG]

Never would think of this combination...but it works and I like it.

Mike

10. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

I really like PG's look. The top bottom contrast is cool, and the shoes are gorgeous.

11. Sander

Sander Well-Known Member

Just because something is out of the ordinary doesn't mean it's brave or commendable. I see nothing inherently better about wearing a hat than wearing an Ed Hardy shirt. Both can look bad.

Amen.

12. JPHardy

JPHardy Well-Known Member

Played?
    [​IMG]

I predict we will see this DTO'd a bit this fall. The Gant pics that were posted in another thread hinted towards this. Then the chambray talks by Vox, Whany, Foo. It's coming.

Hah- I had the opposite experience. My first impression was "nice- typical PG bringing this all together. Then after a couple more looks, I feel like it looks too incongruous bohemian and isn't that harmonious. Ask me again in an hour [​IMG]

I think you will end up liking it.

13. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[​IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

The westlin' wind blaws loud an' shill;
    The night's baith mirk and rainy, O;
    But I'll get my plaid, an' out I'll steal,
    An' owre the hill to Nannie, O. -Burns

14. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

plus you have a really hot girlfriend that likes you in the fedora. Of course, she looks better than you in a fedora, but that is neither here nor there.

15. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Well-Known Member

way to go. if you are going to push the envelope, do it without apology. life is too short to be half-assed about anything.

16. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

Yes - I was going with suede brogues, but the weather forcast showed a chance of heavy showers, and these are much better on wet cobbles.

isn't this the bad weather shoe? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shoes: Loake Exeter

17. Cary Grant

I think you will end up liking it.

I am now 68.2% opposed with an uncertainty factor +/- 12% Your confidence in my eventual liking was responsible for a 9% shift.
    Vox: I can be bought. [​IMG]

18. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

So you would also say that in 9 out of 10 of your posts, your pocket square is bad?
    True. Now if only you could entertain the possibility that you're not always in that other 10%...
    I never implied I'm infallible or that I am not prone to the same mistakes I see in others. However, I at least recognize there is more to style than doing whatever I might feel like, that mistakes are possible, and that there are things to learn. The relentless outpouring of praise for whatever is posted in this thread only reinforces the notion that refinement plays no part in developing style. It's all "personal." Thus, the vast majority of outfits here wind up looking ridiculous, ignorant, or both. Most are too enamored with the mere idea of wearing a hat or pocket square to realize that wearing ones don't automatically elevate you above a guy in sweatpants.
    Other than the hat, he will also need to grow 10 years older to make the outfit less costumey. oh and lose the flower.
    I can live with the flower. In fact, I think it's crucial. Without it, the outfit becomes excessively grey. For what it's worth, I think the hat would look better in a different color.
    Utter nonsense. He wears it correctly and convincingly well. Far more convincing and pleasing than the vast majority of poasts here.
    I can respect disagreement over whether the hat looks convincing. However, I think defending wearing one on the basis that it's brave or individualistic is an exercise in aesthetic nihilism.
    Regarding the hat in Tibor's very well-executed retro get-up, I think it's the usual classic clothing paradox: those clothes are meant to be worn with hats, pocket squares, perhaps even a boutonnière. So in a sense they look better with appropriate accessories. But then those accessories also highlight how dated the whole classic dress code is. CBD is the only remaining safe stronghold of classical dress.
    Well, I think much has to do with exactly how old certain customs are. Hat-wearing has been all but non-existent for decades. Moreover, in addition to how jarring hats can be by their mere presence, they are also often worn poorly precisely because our culture no longer conditions us to wear them well.

19. Cary Grant

You are free to believe as you like....

Thank you for giving me permission. As witnessed in my sentiments about PG's fit, I am but an unbespoke sheep.

20. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

It's its only intent.

fond memories

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.