HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

[​IMG]
    Outstanding. Casual is so much more difficult to do well than formal.

[​IMG]
    Very good.

2. barims

barims Senior member

Outstanding. Casual is so much more difficult to do well than formal.

Actually, if you approach both with discernment, they require more or less the same kind of attention to detail. Formality just happens to be more punctilious

3. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

[​IMG][/quote]

Great looking shoes, would you mind sharing the makers name?

-LR

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

[​IMG]

Liking this quite a lot, esp. the shirt.

It's more SW&D but since I almost never post there...

Cool jacket.

Getting ready for another day at the office...

Pretty good, but either a tie, or another button undone on the shirt would probably up it a level.

Another day of sun and heavy showers.

Dig the tie.

No full-length pic today, sorry. Trousers were light-tan in colour.

[​IMG]

5. sartorial_marxist

sartorial_marxist Well-Known Member

Of course all three [​IMG] [​IMG]

nah - the white E

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

Actually, if you approach both with discernment, they require more or less the same kind of attention to detail. Formality just happens to be more punctilious

English please ... lol. Btw wey part of town you cut the picture for?

Liking this quite a lot, esp. the shirt.

Nothing matches, yet everything goes. Masterful.

niidawg3 - This is nice, PS compliments the tie very well

I really like this one Nii - nice combining.

thx - all you fine gentlemen.

Getting ready for another day at the office...
    [​IMG]

your pants always fit really well.

[​IMG]

nice combination of colors and patterns. very nice.

It's more SW&D but since I almost never post there...

[​IMG]

smashing!! definitely something to keep for the DTO archives [​IMG]

7. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

no wonder i've been itching for a Quattroporte.

8. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Forgive me seguing into a digression on this theme, but it will probably simply get lost in the SF ether anyway, so... [​IMG]

This section of the board - understandably given the demographic posting - leans heavily towards choices suitable for workplaces and maintaining a similar "business-friendly"/"respectable chic" for casual looks outside of work. For all the high-end brands we discuss, most members here form a pretty middle-class, middle-of-the-road group, and I don't say that disparagingly or with any side, just as a statement reflecting why certain looks are more popular here than others.

There are some who can break the standard SF mould with success (LK and stilmacher spring instantly to mind, as do barims and Neo to some extent), but even they are looked at as special eccentric cases rather than a genuinely alternative approach to wearing clothes. I miss former regular WAYW posters like SoCal and the guy who dressed in lots of Yohji for their fundamentally different approach to dressing. GetSmart and Fuuma too, for the same reason. NewYorkRanger is sort of in between, as he gives himself a bit more leeway than most; aeglus does too actually, and I don't think it's just coincidence that they're both school teachers, not lawyers/finance/business-executive/related jobs.

When one talks of SF groupthink, it's not so much a unity of dress itself, but a unity of purpose behind WHY many here dress. It's sometimes forgotten that there are reasons other than to project an air of sober respectability or an image of stealth-wealth. This is also why one should know, but not be too adherent of, the "rules". Like the rules of any game, they are designed to facilitate play towards a particular shared goal. If your goal is different, then the rules may or may not be the correct way to reach that goal.

Great post, HF.

p.s. I am wearing a purple candy stripe shirt today. Is that respectable?

9. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That color combo is just...amazing.

10. Schorsch

Schorsch Senior member

Cool fabric; dig it.

This would indeed be the standard approach, but I rather think if you're going to go for something really bold, you might as well go the whole hog and do it with gusto. The "one pattern, rest solids, play with texture instead" thing is good advice if you want/need to look sober/respectable, but if you don't, then it's unnecessary advice.

Forgive me seguing into a digression on this theme, but it will probably simply get lost in the SF ether anyway, so... [​IMG]

[snip very well-reasoned screed]

Point well taken, and I'm in the same boat as some of our more exhuberant stylists: I work in academia, where conformity would push me more in the t-shirt-and-cargo-shorts direction. This gives me freedom to try to dress well but less restricted than someone who must wear a suit every day.

I still like the one exhuberant element rule, usually, but in my case I can add one formal piece to a casual outfit, e.g. well-shined shoes, or one work-wear piece to a more buttoned up rig, e.g. duck canvas pants. Limiting yourself to one piece keeps you from creating costumes that aren't you. BUT: some people's costumes are them, and I find that fabulous. In fact, the following is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me:

^^ Trying a bit hard there.

11. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

Hmm. I get what you mean... but for me personally, doing casual well is so much more difficult than formal-wear.

Maybe I just know my own style better with suits (I'm certainly very comfortable with it) and it doesn't require that much thought but casual is much trickier and I feel much more error-prone with it - both in terms of buying and wearing.

12. MrChris

MrChris Senior member

Pretty good, but either a tie, or another button undone on the shirt would probably up it a level.

Yes I know the second highest button on this shirt is positioned rather close to the top.

No full-length pic today, sorry. Trousers were light-tan in colour.[​IMG]

A huge improvements from yesterdays risky try. A truly splendid combination! The purple PS creates a nice contrast, especially towards the light blue shirt.

your pants always fit really well.

Thank's Mister[​IMG]

ManofKent - Elegant as usual!

13. barims

barims Senior member

English please ... lol. Btw wey part of town you cut the picture for?

Chale, I dey go Tema for make cut picture

Hmm. I get what you mean... but for me personally, doing casual well is so much more difficult than formal-wear.

Maybe I just know my own style better with suits (I'm certainly very comfortable with it) and it doesn't require that much thought but casual is much trickier and I feel much more error-prone with it - both in terms of buying and wearing.

I think casual appears scarier than it truly is because successful examples (cf. runway shows) seem to be scrutinised more for the person wearing the clothes than how those clothes are worn (as well as which pieces are used)

Seeing as I've just posted a casual example of my own, you could, for example, analyse whether it's a success or if such a style would work for you. And my motivation for crafting it was partly weather driven, so it's hardly the most thought-out dressed-down presentation I could come up with

By the way, Holdfast, thank you for the reference in your screed (I can only assume "to some extent" refers to the times when I do not dress for pleasure)

14. Vaux_le_Vicomte

Vaux_le_Vicomte Senior member

[[​IMG]
    very shiny [​IMG] i like it

[​IMG]
    a classic
    [​IMG]
    i like the shoes

15. Vaux_le_Vicomte

Vaux_le_Vicomte Senior member

[​IMG]

i like the bag a lot.