HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Late entry for the Redcoats:

Pretty much all English apart from the watch too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shoes: Loake Exeter
    Suit: TM Lewin
    Shirt: Charles Tyrwhitt
    Tie: Jaeger
    PS: unbranded (Tie Rack?)
    Watch: Seiko 5 on a Hirsch Mariner strap (present from my wife)

Looking good MOK!!

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Late entry for the Redcoats

Nice one.

I have a pair of these in brown, as well as a couple of other pairs from the 1880 line. I tend to use them when I'm not sure what the weather will do. They stand up well to a lot of wear and tear, I find.

3. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Nice one.

I have a pair of these in brown, as well as a couple of other pairs from the 1880 line. I tend to use them when I'm not sure what the weather will do. They stand up well to a lot of wear and tear, I find.

Cheers.

Yes the leather is a bit on the firm side and they crease a bit more than some, but they're tough, and I wear them when I wouldn't wear more expensive shoes. Value for money they're difficult to fault.

4. Red Glasses

Red Glasses Senior member

Long time lurker, first post of clothes. This is from my wedding, last week. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. MrChris

MrChris Senior member

I was expecting some really spectacular outfits today competing in the U.S vs World battle. Phat Guido, ManofKent & MBreinin are my favourites so far, all 3 are dressed very elegant. SpooPoker and niidawg3, gentlemen, I must say I've seen better of you before.[​IMG] Happy Camper...details on your coat and tie?

6. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

Nice casual look blofeld - I'll let you off with that entry [​IMG]

...and then you destroyed me. great shots. [​IMG]

7. tshaw

tshaw Senior member

Bond, James Bond - the hurricane is coming your way today! Stay steady, young man!! It'll be up your way around 2:00 a.m. [​IMG]

T

8. kevinsp8

kevinsp8 Senior member

In a rush, off to work, but had to represent for the good old Ca-na-da. Again something off with the button stance here... that's what I get for buying consignment I guess. Tried to smile so I can cross-post this in www.amihotornot.com.

[​IMG]

9. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Armani blazer
    Brioni pocket-square
    Zegna shirt
    Kiton pant
    Nocona belt
    Pantherella socks
    Prada bluchers
    Darphin cologne
    Piaget watch

10. MarcInDentonTx

MarcInDentonTx Senior member

[​IMG][/quote]

Nice.. Congrats!

11. JN41

JN41 Well-Known Member

Long time lurker, first post of clothes.
    This is from my wedding, last week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Awesome. Congrats.

12. pat bateman

pat bateman Active Member

The end to a busy work week, looking forward to the 3 day weekend and then a busy Fashion Week.

Table a bit dusty
    Bespoke Navy Blue Pinstripe 3 roll 2.
    MTO Shirt
    BB Tie
    BB Tie Bar
    Gaziano & Girling MTO shoes
    Gucci Pocket Square

http://werapidsk8.tumblr.com/
    [​IMG]

13. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    I really think you need to stop worrying about the relation between your jacket's length and the length of your arms. The only way in which this should come into play is if you need an L because you can't let the sleeves out enough on an R. The state of affairs you described earlier (fits fundamentally, doesn't fit manually; fits manually, is fundamentally too long -- if you pardon the punning) must apply to many people, as must its reverse (arms too short, torso too long). You can't make the jacket fit by both measures simultaneously, and I think you've already offered the right answer: if by the arms-method, the jacket is too long in the body, you have a problem. If by the bum-method, the body is short vis-a-vis your arms (but the sleeves are long enough), then that's just something you'll have to live with -- and you can rely on the fact that it's nowhere near as evident in real life as a jacket that permanently comes half-way down your thighs. That's why the bottom-method is always ultimately more reliable and makes more sense than the arms-measure.

In your photo, the jacket looks unflatteringly long, and makes your legs look stumpy as a consequence. The overall look also enhances the length of your arms, because they, unlike your legs, can keep up with the length of your jacket. So, by conforming to the arms-standard, you've achieved two undesirable effects: you made your legs look disproportionately short and made your arms look even more disproportionately long than they already are.

If anything, I think you should experiment with a shorter jacket, which would make your legs appear longer. Compare IST66's coat in the photos below: it's probably a little short (I also think it's a little square for its length, and would look better if it had a less strong shoulder or a more waisted cut, but that's by the by). But it emphasizes the length of his legs. To me at least, it doesn't do anything to his arms, and I think that's generally true of shorter coats provided the sleeves aren't ridiculously short: their perceived length or shortness has nothing to do with the wearer's arms, but with how the coat bisects the body.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough and genuinely helpful reply. Your points are all well taken, and I'll almost certainly have my blazer taken up a bit in length. I'm still in a quandary, though, because the R version of that blazer (as with most other jackets I try on) is definitely too short (as in "doesn't cover my ass"), and I'm afraid that I may ruin the proportions of this one in the attempt to split the difference. I suppose it's time to bite the bullet and go MTM.

Too long or not, gents, I broke out the new blazer again for casual Friday. Despite all appearances, that polo shirt is forest green.

[​IMG]

And here's an expensive canvas belt from Polo that no one ever sees because I'm generally untucked when I wear it. (If this shot doesn't get me into the Creepy Sartorial Images thread I'll be very disappointed.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

Long time lurker, first post of clothes.
    This is from my wedding, last week.

Gefeliciteerd!

How do you find the van Bommel Noble Blues?

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] On behalf of Team USA, we wave our Charvet voile handkerchief and surrender the race and give the Friday WAYWRN challenge to the Furriners. This was fun however, I think there will be more Friday challenges to come. Well played, other continents. Well played. I think this pretty much summed up our showing today: [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.