HOF: Member pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vero_group, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I meant just showing shirt cuff when standing normally. It looks as though your sleeves could stand to be a half inch to an inch shorter. But that's just me nitpicking.

I know; I nit-pick about that too, which is why I'm annoyed it came out that way[​IMG]

koji

2. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Some suits or coats look fine with sleeves that don't show cuff, like country or tweed ones, generally more casual. Definitely take that one to get altered though.

3. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Some suits or coats look fine with sleeves that don't show cuff, like country or tweed ones, generally more casual.
    [​IMG]

4. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Some suits or coats look fine with sleeves that don't show cuff, like country or tweed ones, generally more casual. Definitely take that one to get altered though.

[​IMG]

5. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I'm sorry, I wouldn't take in a tweed coat to get the sleeves shortened just to show off barrel cuffs with odd trousers.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm sorry, I wouldn't take in a tweed coat to get the sleeves shortened just to show off barrel cuffs with odd trousers.

Why not? Sorry but I have no idea where you're coming from on this one...[​IMG]

7. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I think you understand perfectly where I'm coming from. With a suit you'd wear to work or get interviewed in, it's pretty necessary. Not so much with something you'd wear casually. Besides that I've never had to get sleeves shortened from OTR, and for suits and coats I've been looking to internet tailors recently anyway.

8. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Now I am not sure I understand. I do not see why there is a distinction being drawn between business v. casual wear of a suit or sportcoat. Certainly, one does not show cuff because one wants to impress at work (indeed, 90% of the that audience likley thinks showing cuff means the sleeves of the jacket are too short), but because if is more correct. I am not sure why it is any less correct if the purpose of dressing is not work?

9. gdl203

I think you understand perfectly where I'm coming from. With a suit you'd wear to work or get interviewed in, it's pretty necessary. Not so much with something you'd wear casually. Besides that I've never had to get sleeves shortened from OTR, and for suits and coats I've been looking to internet tailors recently anyway.

I am not sure I get it actually. Are you saying that you think people at work or interviewing you care about the amount of shirt cuff you show and that's why you need to show some when you wear a suit in a work situation?

10. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

You know what, who gives a shit? I'm sorry I started this debate by some offhand comment.

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I am not sure I get it actually. Are you saying that you think people at work or interviewing you care about the amount of shirt cuff you show and that's why you need to show some when you wear a suit in a work situation?
    No wonder I have made some hiring mistakes. I should have been looking at the damn cuffs.

12. gdl203

No wonder I have made some hiring mistakes. I should have been looking at the damn cuffs.

Yeah - forget the whole eye contact thing...

13. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

You guys are ridiculous. ANYWAYS. [​IMG] EDIT: Jesus, I look fifteen years old.

14. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

You know what, who gives a shit? I'm sorry I started this debate by some offhand comment.

Only on styleforum, my friend, only on styleforum....[​IMG]

koji

15. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Now I am not sure I understand. I do not see why there is a distinction being drawn between business v. casual wear of a suit or sportcoat. Certainly, one does not show cuff because one wants to impress at work (indeed, 90% of the that audience likley thinks showing cuff means the sleeves of the jacket are too short), but because if is more correct. I am not sure why it is any less correct if the purpose of dressing is not work?

I don't know about other people, but I don't show cuff when I wear a jacket or sport coat because it is "correct." I show cuff when I wear a jacket or sport coat because it looks better than not showing cuff. But yeah, I agree with you that it's befuddling why one would want to show cuff on a jacaket worn to work and not on one worn casually.