• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: Member pictures

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
FWIW, I think the art work is great. I am in the, evidently small, minority of men who think that artfully done tatoos do not detract from a woman's beauty.

Skalogore, where was the celebration held?

The dragon/phoenix on her back that she is having done currently is a lot better, I must say. She will be having most of that old dragon on her chest removed to leave the better coverup on her back instead.

Now that was at a place here in Tucson, Soleil. Was pretty good, although I don't remember what I ate there (i.e. was not so spectacular I could not forget it
laugh.gif
.) http://www.soleiltucson.com/

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hey, Skalogre, cute picture. I think that the artwork is very nice. hard to see from the picture what it is, it that a dragon standing on a ball?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
hey, Skalogre, cute picture. I think that the artwork is very nice. hard to see from the picture what it is, it that a dragon standing on a ball?

Thanks Zack. Yes, dragon with an orb/ying yang. But, as I mentioned, she is planning to have that one removed to leave only the better cover-up work on her back. Should be starting the removal very soon. The dragon is pretty well done even though it is old and faded - the new work in progress is a lot better though. The new dragon & phoenix will be covering an older botched tattoo; one of those things where an otherwise credible establishment lets a n00b employee near a customer when he should have no place using anything other than crayons
mad.gif
But that was years before I met her and she has wanted to get rid of that tatoo for a long time now. Too expensive to remove the back piece completely so she decided to get some GOOD ink to cover it. As much as I am not one for ink myself the current work is definitely high-end.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Thanks Zack. Yes, dragon with an orb/ying yang. But, as I mentioned, she is planning to have that one removed to leave only the better cover-up work on her back. Should be starting the removal very soon. The dragon is pretty well done even though it is old and faded - the new work in progress is a lot better though. The new dragon & phoenix will be covering an older botched tattoo; one of those things where an otherwise credible establishment lets a n00b employee near a customer when he should have no place using anything other than crayons
mad.gif
But that was years before I met her and she has wanted to get rid of that tatoo for a long time now. Too expensive to remove the back piece completely so she decided to get some GOOD ink to cover it. As much as I am not one for ink myself the current work is definitely high-end.

good luck, I understand it is a ***** to remove those multicolored ones.
but you two are a really cute couple.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good luck, I understand it is a ***** to remove those multicolored ones. but you two are a really cute couple.
Thank you, you are too kind
smile.gif
But yes, deep-multicolour work is very difficult to remove with no ghosting. The lines were done so thickly and deeply, the old tattoo was 3D in parts. Very badly done, and from what I understand the shop's owner could not fix the damage back then, either. That dragon, however as it is monochrome and a lot more delicate should be relatively easy to remove according to the dermatologist.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Thank you, you are too kind
smile.gif

But yes, deep-multicolour work is very difficult to remove with no ghosting. The lines were done so thickly and deeply, the old tattoo was 3D in parts. Very badly done, and from what I understand the shop's owner could not fix the damage back then, either. That dragon, however as it is monochrome and a lot more delicate should be relatively easy to remove according to the dermatologist.

great. I have a simple line sketch - a matisse, and I would really like to get another one, but my wife would kill me. I want to get a japanese india ink drawing. but maybe I will get my wife to agree at a later point.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great. I have a simple line sketch - a matisse, and I would really like to get another one, but my wife would kill me. I want to get a japanese india ink drawing. but maybe I will get my wife to agree at a later point.

Getting the traditional "tapping" style tattoo (irezumi I believe) would be a nice touch but it would be a) even MORE painful and b) hard to find someone who would be able to do a decent job (i.e. may need a trip to Japan for that one).

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GT, I lucked out, my gf totally digs my ink. She loves the juxtaposition of my outer conservative look and my ink and piercings underneath it. I have been giving more serious thought to my next (third). It will be another pin-up girl, probably another Elvgren.

Here are the two I already have. Both were done by Tina Bafaro (http://www.bafaro.com) in Seattle.

Left leg; something I doodled alot in class when I was a student. Not the best pic, but you are only missing her legs (no feet on her).

tatleftsketch7wk.jpg

Right leg; adapted from Gil Elvgren's One for the Road. Again not a great pic and she has a line across her face because of my sock. What can you do.

tatrightelvgren8jd.jpg

bob

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice - how old is the colored one? the green seems nice and bright to me.

/andrew

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
nice - how old is the colored one? the green seems nice and bright to me.

/andrew

FB, thanks. The Elvgren is now 5 or so years old. The color stays because I don't like the sun and when I have to go out in it in shorts I slather sun block on my calves. The other is more like 9 years old and the black has not faded at all.

bob

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
GT, I lucked out, my gf totally digs my ink. She loves the juxtaposition of my outer conservative look and my ink and piercings underneath it. I have been giving more serious thought to my next (third). It will be another pin-up girl, probably another Elvgren.

Here are the two I already have. Both were done by Tina Bafaro (http://www.bafaro.com) in Seattle.

Left leg; something I doodled alot in class when I was a student. Not the best pic, but you are only missing her legs (no feet on her).

tatleftsketch7wk.jpg

Right leg; adapted from Gil Elvgren's One for the Road. Again not a great pic and she has a line across her face because of my sock. What can you do.

tatrightelvgren8jd.jpg

bob

bob, those are fantastic.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks GT, I appreciate it. Here are a couple I'm thinking of for my next one (left fore-arm): http://www.thepinupfiles.com/images/elvgren6.jpg http://www.thepinupfiles.com/images/photographer.jpg http://www.thepinupfiles.com/images/...ren-002-LG.jpg http://www.thepinupfiles.com/images/elv00099.jpg http://www.thepinupfiles.com/images/degree.jpg Each would need its own altering to make it more to my taste (dark hair, etc.) and I'm particularly fond of the last one because (to be) Mrs. 808 is a librarian. Oh and there's another that I always imagined as altering to have her in black with a whip (and no dog): http://nylon.net/nec/elvgren/pix/elvgren$mans-best-friend-111.jpg Here is the original of One for the Money (I got the name wrong above) http://www.thepinupfiles.com/images/elv00388.jpg bob

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This pic is a little old but I finally got around to posting it

swedding005edited3hh.th.jpg
[/IMG]

Canali sportcoat
Nordstrom Shirt
Carlo Franco Tie
JCrew pocket square (artfully pulled out by my daughter who thought it was so much fun)
Polo made in Italy trousers
Bruno Magli monkstraps

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
looks like your daughter just finished tieing your tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads