Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: Member pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vero_group, Jul 2, 2003.

1. ernest

ernest Senior member

Thanks.

I have been trying to improve it for 10 months now.

I am more confortable with my English but I still have much to learn (phrasal verbs, idioms, adverbs, conjonctions...) to have a good English.

What is better in my English IYO?

2. mistersurgery

mistersurgery Member

Ernest, to be honest, I was impressed that you used "an horrible tie" rather than "a horrible tie" which most people mistakenly say and write. I didn't realize that English was not your native tongue, and I was impressed with your grammar. Except for when you were slagging my tie. [​IMG]

3. ernest

ernest Senior member

Nothing to be impressed with... I looked at your tie one more tie and i must confess it is not too bad for one reason = it matches with your teeth.... So please, instead of wearing yellow ties, change your teeth . Did anybody try to whiten his teeth ? I know this is very common in the US. This is rather new in France (may be 5 years). For the moment my teeth are white enough to avoid yellow ties but I may try it the future. Your suit is odd at the level of the pocket = we see the sewing. Is it normal ?

4. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

"Ernest, to be honest, I was impressed that you used "an horrible tie" rather than "a horrible tie" which most people mistakenly say and write."

Oh, for God's sake, another snooty grammarian who is wrong. Let me explain: "an" was used for a time in Britain before words beginning with "h" because the "h," which originally was a glottal fricative (think of the Scottish pronunciation of Loch) softened so much that, for many English speakers, it disappeared altogether. Those people would have pronounced "horrible" as "orrible." Since the new pronunciation begins with a vowel sound, the article "an" was used, as it always is before vowel sounds.

However, the vast majority of English speakers now actually pronounce the "h" at the beginnings of words. Since this produces a consonant sound, the article "a" is used. The use of "an" before a word that begins with "h" is, in fact, the mistake, based purely on the way these words used to be pronounced by some.

By the way, most words that begin with silent "h's" now are also a byproduct of that very same movement. Notice that in many old documents, words such as "history" and "horrible" may have been spelled with or without the "h." When it was recognized that the consonant was being pronounced by most people, an effort in the education system was made to standardize the spellings with the "h." However, many words, such as "onour" and "our" were dragged along mistakenly because of the masses of people who were learning this rule. These resulted in today's words "honor," "hour," and so forth, words that were NEVER pronounced with initial consonants.

Therefore, there is no reason whatsoever to continue insisting that people say and write "an history," etc.

5. Matt

Matt [email protected]

and its stuff like this which makes english such a pain in the ass to learn for guys like ernest

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

An Hermes.

7. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

8. kabert

kabert Senior member

Man oh man. Nice explanation teacher. If you go by whether the word is spoken to start with a vowel sound rather than whether it actually starts with a vowel, then you'll never go wrong.

9. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG] Vintage Penguin polo, Paper Denim & Cloth GTO 1-Year jeans

10. Xavie

Xavie New Member

11. gsr4079

gsr4079 Member

nice suit. i like the watch best though. looks like breitling. yes?

12. gsr4079

gsr4079 Member

nice suit. i like the watch best though. looks like breitling. yes?

13. gsr4079

gsr4079 Member

nice watch. breitling?

and yes, the sleeves do look a bit short...

14. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Okay, so now I look more like this:

[​IMG]

15. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Every 2.5 years, or so, one should rotate the cameras...