• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: Labels, heels and nail patterns - Secrets to ID the maker

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This on a Saks house brand SC. Yes, I know the LP tag is just the fabric. I'm looking at the inner pocket tag. Says "Made in Canada," but the tag seems too nondescript to be anyone interesting, right?

And this on a John W Nordstrom 100% LP cashmere SC. Is this a new Samuelsohn tag?

Sak's SC is Jack Victor. Nordstrom's is S.F.I. Apparel Corporation. I couldn't find out much about them from a cursory Google search. I'm sure they own some decent brand.

These are great tools:
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/app/cb/cn...=0001PTLx929bwLxgiBlFH2k5Dv3:-G1196J?lang=eng
https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/textilern/wrnquery$.startup

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been told that Dressler has made some coats for Burberry in the past 3-4 years. Seems to be true.

That bamford tag looks like a Caruso tag; good stuff!

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two quick questions.... 1) Brooks Brothers (made in Dominican Republic?? :puzzled: ) Never knew of such a thing. Are these from the outlet or something? Have a bunch of nails + 2 nails in the sole of the shoe... 2) This label looks super familiar but can't place it. Looked at the back button and saw "Gucci", anyone know who made them for Gucci and what era...aka Tom Ford??
That's an older Zegna tag.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is sorta shocking, but is this a brooks brothers counterfeit? If it is, then really?

ebay link

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is sorta shocking, but is this a brooks brothers counterfeit? If it is, then really?

ebay link
The BB label looks right...but old....and it's in the right place. I haven't seen the camel hair label before, not saying it's not legit.... just haven't seen it. Ask the seller if there are any other tags inside the pocket to show you.

Last edited:

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The BB label looks right...but old....and it's in the right place. I haven't seen the camel hair label before, not saying it's not legit.... just haven't seen it. Ask the seller if there are any other tags inside the pocket to show you.

Yeah, I wasn't really interested in the item, just caught it on my daily ebay trolling. The location of that label has nothing in common with the other BB jacket's I have seen.

I was mainly amazed that someone would possibly go to the trouble of counterfeiting a BB SC (and suit). Seemed odd, but maybe some tailor did collar work that required the removal and replacement of the tag.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't really interested in the item, just caught it on my daily ebay trolling. The location of that label has nothing in common with the other BB jacket's I have seen.
I was mainly amazed that someone would possibly go to the trouble of counterfeiting a BB SC (and suit). Seemed odd, but maybe some tailor did collar work that required the removal and replacement of the tag.
Nah...I suspect it is real.

Here are two I have currently listed with tags from the same era...in the same location. That's how most BB was back then. I can provide a dozen more in the same location.

Last edited:

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nah...I suspect it is real.

Here are two I have currently listed with tags from the same era...in the same location. That's how most BB was back then. I can provide a dozen more in the same location.

Thanks, what approximate vintage are those tags from?

Nell

Reaction score
Can anyone help with these BB Peals? Heels have been replaced, and the script doesn't look like the CJs I've seen.

BBPealShoeText.jpg

Apologies for the poor shot. Text reads: 975 44DM44R2 036357

Mox C

Reaction score
Taking a shoe discussion here from the thrift thread...

My soles look like this, and is why I was thinking J&M: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146343553&p=927161123&viewfull=1#post927161123

The same heel shows up in the last photo of the first post of this thread, but with the snag clip, or whatever it's called: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?104089-Hanover-Shoes-A-History-with-Pics

I didn't realize the older Hanovers had an oval though. Good to know.

These are mine. Only text on the footbed is "Genuine Leather Insole" up further in the foot.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Taking a shoe discussion here from the thrift thread...
My soles look like this, and is why I was thinking J&M: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146343553&p=927161123&viewfull=1#post927161123
The same heel shows up in the last photo of the first post of this thread, but with the snag clip, or whatever it's called: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?104089-Hanover-Shoes-A-History-with-Pics
I didn't realize the older Hanovers had an oval though. Good to know.
These are mine. Only text on the footbed is "Genuine Leather Insole" up further in the foot.
How bout a shot of the numbers..

I have always loved his thread on the Hanover Shoes. I drive by the old factory every day. My Mother in Law and her sisters all worked there in the 60's and 70's. I could probably add some stuff to his thread, definitely some more pics of the shoes around here.

Last edited:

Towers

Reaction score
Italian made Polo shoes, also curious if they are real or embossed calf. Any ideas?
20121017_232544.jpg

20121017_232613.jpg

20121017_232635.jpg

20121017_232702.jpg

joycemik

Reaction score

Hello can anyone give me please any information about these shoes? Are they Loake or Dr. Martens?
are they slip-ons or loafers? The tag on the inner sole it says : LOAKE DR. MARTENS
and the price that you would expect to pay for them ?

THE SHOES HAVE AN "R" ON INNER LINING.

THE SERIAL NUMBER ON THE INNER LINNING OF THE SHOES IS:
SHOE NO.9785B/1
141011 6/01
LAST K121 SIZE 10
MADE IN ENGLAND

thanks
regards

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads