1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: Labels, heels and nail patterns - Secrets to ID the maker

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Nov 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. FrankOreto

FrankOreto New Member

So I was at my favorite thrift shop and found a wool Burberry Coat that actually fits me. Now I'm curious as to how old it is. From what I've researched I'm guessing the 1950s but someone here may know better.
    Here are some photos.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The label was very rubbed and can be seen more clearly from the back.
    [​IMG]

The store on the label evidently closed in 1955 (As this WaPo article indicateshttps://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/business/1980/10/29/saltz-sells-georgetown-shops/a5388199-d31d-467d-9e96-8efbbf392f83/)

There are no buttons on the cuffs but you can button the rear bottom split. (sorry I don't know what that's called.) And when it's buttoned you can't see the buttons themselves. Anyone know when this would have been made. Or anything else about it. Thanks for any help.

2 people like this.
  2. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

Faconnable made in italy?
    [​IMG]

3. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Cantarelli

1 person likes this.
  4. mattkirby2000

mattkirby2000 New Member

Hi,

Does anyone know what brand this belt is? It has an "H" logo stamped on the back. Please see photo.

Thanks.[​IMG]

5. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior member

Hey guys, trying to figure out the maker on these Atlantic Works x Beams strap boots. I'm thinking either Rancourt or Yuketen. Anyone know for sure? Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Crazycarl87

Crazycarl87 Active Member

Any further information on these finds would be great. "Blue Diamond" I believe may be of significant value as Vicuna Blazers are $20,000 and the Vicuna comes before the Mink Cashmere, the coat is extremely light and nearly floats off the body, beautiful dark blue that plays with the light. Can you find me another coat of this quality utilizing similar fabric? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  7. Crazycarl87

8. Crazycarl87

I have not been able to find any information on this label. The coat is very well made and reminds me of something really rich tech guys wear. [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  9. Crazycarl87

10. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

11. Crazycarl87

12. dadjeans

dadjeans Senior member

@Crazycarl87 Given that "George Taylor" / "Blue Diamond" is not an established cloth brand and there are no percentages for the vicuna content, your jackets probably don't hold much value. They certainly don't hold the same value as a garment made from 100% vicuna or a blend from Loro Piana.

Garments tailored in Hong Kong, with the possible exception of WW Chan, also don't tend to do very well on the secondary market. If you're still looking for more information, try emailing the tailors at info@cctailor.com.

As for the "libxldide" jacket, it might help us if we could see any of the tags. You'll likely find one in one of the interior breast pockets.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    2 people like this.
  13. Crazycarl87

This former comment is out of context due to erased content

14. Crazycarl87

My apologies

15. Crazycarl87

You do realize the term "super 120's"

16. Crazycarl87

$3000 a yard

17. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

If you're talking about "value" in terms of their value on the secondary market, dadjeans is correct. S-numbers are effective marketing tools but are often misrepresented by manufacturers and misinterpreted by consumers. See here for another link. Enough 'evidence' and 'r&d' for you?

The makers of your coats will not be recognized by the vast majority of buyers, and the cloth is of unknown provenance. $3500 a square foot--where are you getting that number from? Ask yourself whether you'd pay any substantial amount for a coat by a maker that you yourself don't really know anything about and made from an obscure cloth with unknown Vicuna content.

If you are keeping the coats for yourself, then enjoy them for what they are.

1 person likes this.
  18. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

This means nothing. We aren't talking about US labeling laws, where they have to be listed in order of content percentage. This is just a Chinese label with as many expensive sounding English keywords as they could cram on there. It very likely contains none of those, sorry. As breakaway01 said, if you like the coat, wear it and enjoy it, but I wouldn't have any illusions about it actually containing Vicuna. If there's a content tag inside one of the interior pockets, please post a pic of that too as that would be a clue as to what it's actually made of.

1 person likes this.
  19. Crazycarl87

(No longer relevant to discussion)

20. Crazycarl87

This "r&d" did nothing more than I did just 3 days earlier, if I were looking for an excuse to call this fake I wouldn't need one, I would google "why my Vicuna blazer isn't real" and so it would be. Unfortunately the Tailor may not be well known, but they have other garnmets on the market, so they do exist and have no history of improperly labeling or misrepresenting their clothing