• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: Labels, heels and nail patterns - Secrets to ID the maker

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: WOW!!!

That was impressive!!!! Just double checked and you are correct! Never even heard of them before. How did you come up with that?

fistbump.gif

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought these from a fellow forum member. He identified them as Alfred Sargent. But they look 100% Edward Green to me. Anyone disagree? Stuart's Choice, btw, which he didn't mention in the ad. Incidentally, is there a shoe heirarchy out there somewhere, like there is for suits? For example, is this roughly accurate: American: Alden > Allen Edmonds = vintage Florsheim = Hanover English: Lobb > G&G > Edward Green > Alfred Sargent > Grenson > vintage Church's/Cheaney/Royal Tweed = Barrie LTD/Peal (which are usually one of the foregoing) > Crocket & Jones = Trickers > Loake Continental: Vass > Sassetti > Santoni Fatte a mano > Carmina > Latanazi > Martegani, Meermin > Ferragamo = Tods > Santoni regular = Mezlan = Magnanni = Magli EDIT: There actually IS a thread on UK shoe quality. I was close, but with a few pretty notable errors.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bought these from a fellow forum member. He identified them as Alfred Sargent. But they look 100% Edward Green to me. Anyone disagree? Stuart's Choice, btw, which he didn't mention in the ad.

Incidentally, is there a shoe heirarchy out there somewhere, like there is for suits? For example, is this roughly accurate:
American: Alden > Allen Edmonds = vintage Florsheim = Hanover
English: Lobb > G&G > Edward Green > Alfred Sargent > Grenson > vintage Church's/Cheaney/Royal Tweed = Barrie LTD/Peal (which are usually one of the foregoing) > Crocket & Jones = Trickers > Loake
Continental: Vass > Sassetti > Santoni Fatte a mano > Carmina > Latanazi > Martegani, Meermin > Ferragamo = Tods > Santoni regular = Mezlan = Magnanni = Magli
Looks like the typical boxy AS handwriting

Last edited:

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Bought these from a fellow forum member. He identified them as Alfred Sargent. But they look 100% Edward Green to me. Anyone disagree? Stuart's Choice, btw, which he didn't mention in the ad.

Incidentally, is there a shoe heirarchy out there somewhere, like there is for suits? For example, is this roughly accurate:
American: Alden > Allen Edmonds = vintage Florsheim = Hanover
English: Lobb > G&G > Edward Green > Alfred Sargent > Grenson > vintage Church's/Cheaney/Royal Tweed = Barrie LTD/Peal (which are usually one of the foregoing) > Crocket & Jones = Trickers > Loake
Continental: Vass > Sassetti > Santoni Fatte a mano > Carmina > Latanazi > Martegani, Meermin > Ferragamo = Tods > Santoni regular = Mezlan = Magnanni = Magli

EDIT: There actually IS a thread on UK shoe quality. I was close, but with a few pretty notable errors.
The suit hierachy thread is already silly; a shoe hierarchy is even more silly.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The suit hierachy thread is already silly; a shoe hierarchy is even more silly. 

I drafted something snarky, but I won't.

But I will say I disagree pretty strongly. To me, such exercises provide beginners, especially those who may not have the ability (without spending thousands of dollars), a benchmark to get a rough, qualitative sense of how various items compare, so they can make informed decisions on items they might purchase or pursue sight unseen. Science it isn't, and it must eventually be blended with personal tastes re: last, fit, etc. But knowing that one line uses better leather or construction than another is useful information have, without having to spend literally hundreds of hours sloshing through conflicting online statements, followed by several more hours researching the statement makers to see whether their opinions are reliable.

Having now handled many of the suit and sport coat brands myself, I a) have found the hierarchy roughly correct, and b) have my own sense of what fits me, what doesn't, what's good value and what isn't. But I was able to avoid a lot of stupid purchases with that hierarchy as a starting point. Similarly, a shoe hierarchy could help me benchmark whether, e.g., to spend the extra money on Edward Green vs Alfred Sargent, without having the benefit of touching, feeling and inspecting any of them. Some I've handled, some I haven't. My funds aren't unlimited. How best to spend them will depend, in part, on comparative quality, and that's where the hierarchy can be a useful starting point.

Last edited:

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bought these from a fellow forum member. He identified them as Alfred Sargent. But they look 100% Edward Green to me. Anyone disagree? Stuart's Choice, btw, which he didn't mention in the ad. Incidentally, is there a shoe heirarchy out there somewhere, like there is for suits? For example, is this roughly accurate: American: Alden > Allen Edmonds = vintage Florsheim = Hanover English: Lobb > G&G > Edward Green > Alfred Sargent > Grenson > vintage Church's/Cheaney/Royal Tweed = Barrie LTD/Peal (which are usually one of the foregoing) > Crocket & Jones = Trickers > Loake Continental: Vass > Sassetti > Santoni Fatte a mano > Carmina > Latanazi > Martegani, Meermin > Ferragamo = Tods > Santoni regular = Mezlan = Magnanni = Magli EDIT: There actually IS a thread on UK shoe quality. I was close, but with a few pretty notable errors.
Thanks saved this info !

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure what thread is the correct thread for this....but I'm sure posting it here was an accident.

Oh crap, you're right. My thumbs are too big for this phone. Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads