1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: Labels, heels and nail patterns - Secrets to ID the maker

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Nov 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

any idea who makes these John Varvatos Chelsea boots?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. darchmaul

darchmaul Member

Varvatos uses two Italian manufacturers for his boots: Lazzeri & Bendi (Bindi sp?)

3. randob300

randob300 Senior member

I have a pair of pebble grain Cole Haan with a Dainite sole that I bought for a few bucks off eBay. They say Made in England and are well constructed, goodyear welted, etc.

I have no idea of the year and no markings on the inside except size. Any idea who made these (purely for personal curiosity)?

4. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

I have a pair of pebble grain Cole Haan with a Dainite sole that I bought for a few bucks off eBay. They say Made in England and are well constructed, goodyear welted, etc.

I have no idea of the year and no markings on the inside except size. Any idea who made these (purely for personal curiosity)?

Generally Cheaney. Occasionally EG. Older ones are often some other maker.

5. I. Gentantithesis

I. Gentantithesis Senior member

ethernet thingy whatzit, Colney Hatch Spa

If there is a printed number sequence along the lines of ###-### near the top of the tongue lining > www.cheaney.co.uk

6. randob300

randob300 Senior member

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i read the discussion in this thread where it was asserted that Stile Latino was no longer made by Attolini. can anyone confirm that? and if this is true, i am wondering who makes these items now? as my contribution, i took label pictures of a recent Stile Latino jacket that i have. i only have passing knowledge of Attolini so i can't really comment, but i would like to know who made this jacket. many thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Any thoughts on the English maker of these:

[​IMG]

9. I. Gentantithesis

Any thoughts on the English maker of these:

[​IMG]

A wild guess, Church?, based primarily on the rather hazy numeral on the sole proximate the heel and various razzmatazz that would bore the casual reader.

B-S may shred that theory.

Should that be 'BBQ'?

Appears to be about a UK 9C/D (US 9.5 B/C), but also exibits the proportions of a 14EEE. Tricky.

What does one win?

10. l8p2

l8p2 Well-Known Member

Hi, any idea who made this shoe for Asprey London? Is it EG? Thx! [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

Hi, any idea who made this shoe for Asprey London? Is it EG? Thx!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes. The seller is not lying.

12. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Any idea who makes these? [​IMG] Inside says Made in England and British Isles Collection

13. I. Gentantithesis

British Isles Collection was an '80s Intervale, NH mail order firm specializing in UK made footwear and clothing; Tibbets, Gloverall, Corgi, Alan Paine, Papworth leather goods, etc. Most of the footwear was made by Loake to BIC's specs., which oft included oak bend leather soles and uppers of higher grade calf than typical of contemporary Loake. Obviously not the original heels.

Jodhpurs?

14. bows1

bows1 Senior member

British Isles Collection was an '80s Intervale, NH mail order firm specializing in UK made footwear and clothing; Tibbets, Gloverall, Corgi, Alan Paine, Papworth leather goods, etc. Most of the footwear was made by Loake to BIC's specs., which oft included oak bend leather soles and uppers of higher grade calf than typical of contemporary Loake. Obviously not the original heels.

Jodhpurs?

Yup Jodhpurs. Thanks for the information [​IMG]

15. Selecta M3

Selecta M3 Member

I was wondering if anyone can identify this suit maker, if so what level of quality is it? I'm gonna send it back but would still like to know a bit about this suit.

Blessings and cool runnings.

///M3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

17. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Just won these and was wondering they are actually Grenson Masterpiece or simply Grenson.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thank you.

Most likely a sample made to MP standards, thus the hidden channel welt and rose stamp. Another tell will be what's embossed on the inside under where your heel goes.

18. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Just won these and was wondering they are actually Grenson Masterpiece or simply Grenson.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thank you.

Most likely a sample made to MP standards, thus the hidden channel welt and rose stamp. Another tell will be what's embossed on the inside under where your heel goes.

Bought a pair off the same seller and they are def Masterpieces and great quality. I nearly bid up against you for those, just hope they fit you as the ones i got off him were very small for a size 6, im wondering if MP's fit very small. [​IMG]

19. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

Bought a pair off the same seller and they are def Masterpieces and great quality. I nearly bid up against you for those, just hope they fit you as the ones i got off him were very small for a size 6, im wondering if MP's fit very small. [​IMG]

They do.

20. SuitProfessor

SuitProfessor Member

Good thread. The problem is that some factories will change the labels over time. Also, having a different label within the same brands means that they are outsourcing to other factories. I know, because I have seen this with my own eyes.