• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HK Tailors:Linda Chow

AMC

Reaction score
I found very few references to her on Google, yet she says she carries the top marks of fabrics, and doesn't send the clothes out to be done-

With over 30 years in the clothing business, Linda has built up a large clientele over the years. Many of them have become old friends and come back for repeat orders. Linda has been in charge of the Tailoring business of Johnson & Co. and now she has successfully established her own company to better serve you. In addition, our specialties include serving the military and servicing exclusive clients from Hong Kong's top five-star hotels. We carry the finest English materials from Holland & Sherry, Dormueil, Scabal, and Fintex of London. From Italy we carry Cerruti, Ermenegildo Zenga, and Loro Piana. Personalized service and attention is given to every customer. Linda does the measuring herself to produce the best and most comfortable fitting clothes from her exclusive team of tailors. All clothing is hand-made in Hong Kong by well established tailors. We do not send our work out of the country nor employ lower standard tailors to handle our work.​

She also tours the US.

Any reports about her work? Is she any good? Expensive?

http://www.geocities.com/customtailorhk/index.htm

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sorry i have never heard of them!
blush.gif

Gong Tao

Reaction score
I googled, too. Price seems comparable to Chan (one guy paid $1500 for a suit made of Loro Piana with an extra pair of pants, $80 to $200 for a shirt). Many testimonials, none of which reveal any knowledge of tailoring. A testimonial that mentions canvassing, handwork, buttonholes and the like tells a lot. A testimonial that just says "great suit" tells you nothing, because all of the guy's other suits may be from Men's Wearhouse. In pictures of her she is wearing 1) polo shirt , 2) what appears to be a cheap polar fleece pullover, and 3) baggy casual shirt with no pattern matching at the shoulder. I say beware of tailors who are not passionate about clothes.

For those prices, I would go to Chan. If you want to spend less, go to Jantzen. Luk-Cha seems to have lot of insider information about places to get things made in HK, you could ask him about other possibilities.

AMC

Reaction score
I've got an appointment with WW Chan in two weeks time. I was looking for a different tailor (not one of the big three) for a second suit. But if Linda Chan is as expensive as Chan, but without his reputation, I think I'll pass.

Luk-cha, do you have any comments about Gordon Yao? I was considering Y William Yu, but I have read some mixed things about him, especially his HK store.

I'd prefer a tailor in TST where I'll be staying, as I'm on a fairly tight schedule and will have to get all the fittings into 4 or 5 days (Chan is ok with that.)

Thanks

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
one thing i have found with with hk tailor's is they are inconsistant! but you do generally get what you pay for! any of the tailors in the 4-5 star hotels will do a good jog but they price will be a bit higher than the indian pakistani tailors in TST. the biggest issue is most dont have a house stle so this can make things hard esp if you are a first time commissioner.

i have heard good things about about jimmy chen in the pininsular and also peter so in the intercon but i have never had anything made with them.

basically in HK you have too styles of tailoring cantonese machine canvassed, shanghainese with should be hand canvassed.

willie_g

Reaction score
I have never heard of her, but I confirm what others have advised to you: go with what's recommended and known. I have used three different tailors in HK and you get what you pay for. Just got my first suit from W.W. Chan and had an awesome experience. I am VERY picky. Picked up my suit on the third fitting, I can't be more pleased. At the same time, got some simple trousers made from a non-recommended TST Indian tailor. After three fittings, trousers still do not fit properly.

newtrane

Reaction score
Could you please post some pics of your work?

Many thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads