History of Tuczeks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Tabman, May 10, 2006.

1. meister

meister Senior member

All I know is that vintage Tuzeks command a premium when they appear on the open resale market.

Ebay seller http://myworld.ebay.com.au/med-usf had a pair and a bit of the history of Tuczek FWIW...

2. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

I assume Tuczek is a hungarian maker?

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I assume Tuczek is a hungarian maker?

Sort of. He was Hungarian and trained there, but he came to London and in the '30s (and maybe earlier) through the 50s his shop was arguably the most fashionable bespoke shoe maker in London.

4. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Lobb St James bought the name.

5. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sort of. He was Hungarian and trained there, but he came to London and in the '30s (and maybe earlier) through the 50s his shop was arguably the most fashionable bespoke shoe maker in London.

I believe Tuczek was Czech, who would have arrived in England sometime in Edwardian days. At this time, he must have come from either Bohemia or Moravia (then provinces of the Austro-Hungarian dual monarchy.)

George Cleverley started working for him after WW1. According to the website, by then, Tuczek was an established "˜high society London shoemaker"˜.

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I believe Tuczek was Czech, who would have arrived in England sometime in Edwardian days. At this time, he must have come from either Bohemia or Moravia (then provinces of the Austro-Hungarian dual monarchy.)

Thats what I thought, too, when I first read the name.

But, there are more hungarian references, when you google it.

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

George Cleverley started working for him after WW1. According to the website, by then, Tuczek was an established "˜high society London shoemaker"˜.

You may be right about his origins. All I really know know is that in the interwar period until (I think) 1958, his shop was considered "the best" in London. Moreso even than Lobb.

8. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

If he was an emigrant from the Austro-Hungarian Empire, that could explain the "Hungarian" description, no? The name sounds Czech.

9. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Here is a nice story, told in 1994 by G. Bruce Boyer, how John Hlustik (Edward Green) was willing to pay a customer $ 3500 for his pair of vintage Tuczek shoes.

Just to put it into context: $ 3500 in 1994 would have been the price for three pairs of Cleverley bespoke ($ 1100-1200).

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...22,759,00.html

10. lancastrian

lancastrian New Member

Hi - I am also related to the Tuczek family - my interest in finding out a little more stems from a recent visit to Winston Churchill's former home, Chartwell. It appears the monogrammed slippers he wore were made by the Tuczek company.

11. lancastrian

lancastrian New Member

12. Tabman

Tabman Member

Is this really just an elaborate guerrilla marketing campaign for some ebay shoes?

No.

13. Tabman

Tabman Member

The original Nikolaus Tuczek came from Austria-Hungary to Britain in 1846. He was naturalised in the later 1800s (I have a copy of his naturalisation document). One of his seven children, also called Nikolaus, set up the famous Tuczek business, which was established well before WW1. Another son (my great grandfather) also had a shoe-making business prior to WW1, but my grandfather didn't carry it on.

14. Tabman

Tabman Member

You may be right about his origins. All I really know know is that in the interwar period until (I think) 1958, his shop was considered "the best" in London. Moreso even than Lobb.

The business went down the tubes in the 1960s, and the clientele was bought by Lobbs in 1968.

15. Maya

Maya New Member

Hi, I'm typing on behalf of Nicolette Greer who's father was Anton Tuczek. She is trying to find out any information about her father and would be very grateful of any information you may have on the family.

Tabman & Maya: Please send us a PM so we can exchange an details that the other may have.

My Thanks on behalf of Nicolette

Nicolette you asked to contact you some time ago re information on Anton Tuczek - my mother has considerable history in the Tuczek family. Please do email me.