1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

History of Tuczeks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Tabman, May 10, 2006.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I believe Tuczek was Czech, who would have arrived in England sometime in Edwardian days. At this time, he must have come from either Bohemia or Moravia (then provinces of the Austro-Hungarian dual monarchy.)

Thats what I thought, too, when I first read the name.

But, there are more hungarian references, when you google it.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I believe Tuczek was Czech, who would have arrived in England sometime in Edwardian days. At this time, he must have come from either Bohemia or Moravia (then provinces of the Austro-Hungarian dual monarchy.)

George Cleverley started working for him after WW1. According to the website, by then, Tuczek was an established "˜high society London shoemaker"˜.

You may be right about his origins. All I really know know is that in the interwar period until (I think) 1958, his shop was considered "the best" in London. Moreso even than Lobb.

3. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

If he was an emigrant from the Austro-Hungarian Empire, that could explain the "Hungarian" description, no? The name sounds Czech.

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Here is a nice story, told in 1994 by G. Bruce Boyer, how John Hlustik (Edward Green) was willing to pay a customer $ 3500 for his pair of vintage Tuczek shoes.

Just to put it into context: $ 3500 in 1994 would have been the price for three pairs of Cleverley bespoke ($ 1100-1200).

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...22,759,00.html

5. lancastrian

lancastrian New Member

Hi - I am also related to the Tuczek family - my interest in finding out a little more stems from a recent visit to Winston Churchill's former home, Chartwell. It appears the monogrammed slippers he wore were made by the Tuczek company.

6. lancastrian

lancastrian New Member

7. Tabman

Tabman Member

Is this really just an elaborate guerrilla marketing campaign for some ebay shoes?

No.

8. Tabman

Tabman Member

Sort of. He was Hungarian and trained there, but he came to London and in the '30s (and maybe earlier) through the 50s his shop was arguably the most fashionable bespoke shoe maker in London.

The original Nikolaus Tuczek came from Austria-Hungary to Britain in 1846. He was naturalised in the later 1800s (I have a copy of his naturalisation document). One of his seven children, also called Nikolaus, set up the famous Tuczek business, which was established well before WW1. Another son (my great grandfather) also had a shoe-making business prior to WW1, but my grandfather didn't carry it on.

9. Tabman

Tabman Member

You may be right about his origins. All I really know know is that in the interwar period until (I think) 1958, his shop was considered "the best" in London. Moreso even than Lobb.

The business went down the tubes in the 1960s, and the clientele was bought by Lobbs in 1968.

10. Maya

Maya New Member

Hi, I'm typing on behalf of Nicolette Greer who's father was Anton Tuczek. She is trying to find out any information about her father and would be very grateful of any information you may have on the family.

Tabman & Maya: Please send us a PM so we can exchange an details that the other may have.

My Thanks on behalf of Nicolette

Nicolette you asked to contact you some time ago re information on Anton Tuczek - my mother has considerable history in the Tuczek family. Please do email me.

11. Paula Plass

Paula Plass Member

Hi,
    I'm Maya's mother, my birth name was Paula Tuczek - since Maya posted her note I have made some progess - made contact with a cousin which was great for both of us. (Incidentally I have nothing to gain fom boosting the price of sales of Tuczek shoes!) My grandfather was indeed Nikolaus Tuczek, not Anton as Maya thought. Names do tend to recur in the family; there were indeed three Nikolaus's, in different generations; the original Nikolaus came over to England in about 1850 and natualized in 1875. I am particularly interested in the post from Nicolette who would be another cousin, whose name I had previously come across - daughter of Anthony I believe, who would have been my uncle. I wonder if my email address could be passed on to Nicolette?
    Paula.

12. Paula Plass

Paula Plass Member

Just trying to send a PM to Nicolette but I need two posted messages to do so.

13. Paula Plass

Paula Plass Member

14. Paula Plass

Paula Plass Member

15. Paula Plass

Paula Plass Member

16. Paula Plass

Paula Plass Member

17. thrombox

thrombox Member

18. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

19. Rocka'Betty

Rocka'Betty New Member

I have a pair of Clifford Street Tuczek ladies shoes if anyone knows anything about them? Can't find any reference anywhere to them making shoes for women. They're really lovely courts with brogue styling in cream suede and brown leather. They were given to me by my boyfriends sister, and she was given them by the fashion designer Caroline Charles, but I don't know how she acquired them or how long she had them. The cream suede had been painted white with what seemed to be emulsion paint, and they had just been used as an ornament. I have since cleaned the paint off and I wear them, because they are beautiful and I think well, what more damage can I do to them than whoever painted them?
    I'm really interested in where they come from, still, and if anyone else is interested or knows anything.
    Thankyou Kindly
    :)

20. sian123

sian123 Member

hello,

I am a descendant of nikolaus tuczek....my great great grandmother was Amelia Tuczek. we have been doing alot of research into the family tree and Herne Bay in Kent keep coming up.

would love to hear from anyone with more information.. please email me on siangeorgiadis@gmail.com TABMAN and MAYA I have sent you private messages I hope I will get a response but ive noticed the posting dates were quite some time ago.....now