1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

History of Tuczeks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Tabman, May 10, 2006.

1. Tabman

Tabman Member

Hi there - new to the forum. There seem to be some very knowledgeable people here.

Does anyone know anything about the rise and demise of Nikolaus Tuczek of Clifford Street (apart from what one can glean from the limited amount on Cleverley's website)? I understand that after it folded, the business (such as it was) was bought by Lobb, but many customers found their way to Cleverley who had been their shop manager (and chief "designer" - sorry, realise this is the wrong word) for many years until 1958.

Thanks in anticipation!

2. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Distinguished Member

Have you tried asking David Saxby of The Chap? I think he actually mentioned the name when I was in his shop last Sunday. (He answers more serious questions as well, I believe.) http://www.thechap.net/sartorial.html [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

3. andrebaron

andrebaron Active Member

All I know is that vintage Tuzeks command a premium when they appear on the open resale market.

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

5. Tabman

Tabman Member

Gents - many thanks.

I popped in to see Gorge at Cleverley's and he told me some fascinating anecdotes, along with some more general points about his craft. An amazing place and I'm saving hard for my first pair.

I believe the business of Tuczek was taken over by Lobb, although many customers went to Cleverley.

I shall try The Chap also.

6. Maya

Maya New Member

Hi Tabman,

I am a relative of the Tuczek shoe makers. My great grandfather was Anton Tuczek. Why are you interested in the history and also what else have you found out? I have various bits of info on theTuczeks but mostly related to family tree etc but also on when the family came to the UK.

Please feel free to email me.

7. Maya

Maya New Member

Also, if anybody hears of any Tuczek para for sale. Please let me know! I know there are a pair on German e bay for 2800 euros but sadly can't afford but would love to buy my Mum as a piece of family history!

8. Tabman

Tabman Member

Maya I have responded to your PM, and also emailed your mother. Nice to hear from you.

9. Gekko Style

Gekko Style Member

Hello People...

Hummm... So the Tuczek's... Well, as everyone knows Tuczek is the nirvana for any high end shoe aficionado. I have several pairs of them, inherited obviously. One of these pairs is a very rare pair of golf shoes that I will soon put on sell on eBay (I do not play golf). The start price will be 5000 Euros (they are original Tuczek on a very rare golf varient and in excellent condition).

About Tuczek history I do not know much and I am VERY admired to observe that even his decedents near nothing know too about this excellent Master shoemaker. From the name Tuczek I bet it came from East Europe (land of great shoemakers now forgot...). Nevertheless maybe all this lack of information is what makes the Tuczek name so mysterious and sought...

To me the Tuczek name stands for:

The King of shoemakers and, the shoemaker of Kings.

Thank you...

10. Nicolette Greer

Nicolette Greer New Member

Hi, I'm typing on behalf of Nicolette Greer who's father was Anton Tuczek. She is trying to find out any information about her father and would be very grateful of any information you may have on the family.

Tabman & Maya: Please send us a PM so we can exchange an details that the other may have.

My Thanks on behalf of Nicolette

11. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

Is this really just an elaborate guerrilla marketing campaign for some ebay shoes?

12. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Distinguished Member

Is this really just an elaborate guerrilla marketing campaign for some ebay shoes?

Seems likely.

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

Seems likely.

You two are either dense or small, not that it makes a difference. [​IMG]

14. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Distinguished Member

Probably both.

15. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

Probably both.

No doubt both. But thanks for illuminating the darkness in which we live, Tomasso.

[​IMG]