• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

History of Fusing in jackets?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too can only give a fraction of an answer.

In my time, I've acquired many scores of vintage suits (most from the 1960s and before). Not a one is fused, even those that would have been considered mid- or even lower-end RTW. My guess is that sometime in the 1970s (an age when many sartorial plagues were visited upon the world) fusing became part of the suit-making arsenal.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joseph Abboud in his recent autobiography Threads states that the technology was pioneered in Germany after World War II for the sinister reason that most of the good tailors had been Jewish and hence murdered by the cruel Nazis--a grisly case of necessity being the mother of invention.

4Mica

Reaction score
What is the difference between a fusible and a non-fusible interfacing?

A fusible interfacing/interlining is applied using heat. A interfacing/interlining without the special heat fusing adhesive is referred to as "sew-in" or non-fusible interfacing. Sew-in interfacing is not as popular as fusible interfacing because it requires more time to apply to the garment. It does not provide the same quality level as a fusible product.

Funny.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Joseph Abboud in his recent autobiography Threads states that the technology was pioneered in Germany after World War II for the sinister reason that most of the good tailors had been Jewish and hence murdered by the cruel Nazis--a grisly case of necessity being the mother of invention.
Wow. That's awful. Thanks for the interesting information, guys. I knew someone would come through.
biggrin.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
Right around the same time that selvage got taken out of jeans. So sad..
sad.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Reminds me of the line in Schindler's List where Goeth the Nazi camp commandant is admiring Schindler's silk suit. Â Schindler glibly says, "I'd say I'd get you one, but the man who made it is probably dead, I don't know." Witty, cutting, sick and sad all at the same time.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reminds me of the line in Schindler's List where Goeth the Nazi camp commandant is admiring Schindler's silk suit. Schindler glibly says, "I'd say I'd get you one, but the man who made it is probably dead, I don't know." Witty, cutting, sick and sad all at the same time.
Finally. Some one quoted from SL. (As can be read in my trials and tribulations regarding quotes from SL: http://66.170.193.77/cgi-bin....t=10382 ) Jon.

quill

Reaction score
What is the difference between a fusible and a non-fusible interfacing? A fusible interfacing/interlining is applied using heat. A interfacing/interlining without the special heat fusing adhesive is referred to as "sew-in" or non-fusible interfacing. Sew-in interfacing is not as popular as fusible interfacing because it requires more time to apply to the garment. It does not provide the same quality level as a fusible product. Funny.
I think it's important to note that 4Mica was quoting from the link that was posted. I have to admit, at first reading, I thought 4Mica himself was advocating that fusibles are higher quality than non-fusibles...which I'm sure most forum members would have strong opinions about.

Millerp

Reaction score
I guess Wendell Textiles is a little biased
smile.gif

armscye

Reaction score
I cannot address the origins of fused suits, but I do recall reading a rather lengthy study of the British vs Italian RTW suit industries, in which the author makes a strong case that Italian suits have become a world standard for two reasons: the presence of a smart, adaptable fabric industry in and around Biella, Italy, capable of producing attractive pre-fused technofabrics, and batch-cutting machinery (both blade and laser) that piece cuts suit panels in bulk at high speed.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joseph Abboud in his recent autobiography Threads states that the technology was pioneered in Germany after World War II
It makes sense that the Nazi's were behind something as evil as fusing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads